You've got to be fucking kidding me 2 ...

AMERICANS AGAINST GIVING BUSINESS OVER TO THE ARABS SHOULD STOP PUMPING GAS!!!!

I'm not serious by the way because I know that without the arab oil, the world would be in disarray and Charlton Heston will teach apes how to speak.

lizard said:
:)

wtg...now the white house said Bush didn't know anything about the UAE deal until it was completed, but he's still threatening to defend it with his FIRST EVER veto.

this gets wierder and wierder.

It's just Bush acting like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way again. And the whole "The public is against this just because they're Arabs" defense...as was said earlier, the British didn't help bring the towers down. While I admit there's no evidence to suggest that outsourcing would leave our ports of entry more vulnerable to attack, there are more than enough legitimate concerns about the UAE and their ties to terrorists to make this look like a really fucking stupid proposal.

lizard said:
Demi, look...if the UAE can't control their own people as outlined in my post above, how can we trust the company they own? They have deliberately been uncooperative with us on terrorism.

HORSESHIT LIZARD! Goddamnit.

the UAE has been one of the MOST cooperative nations re: terrorism.

cthulufhtagn said:
as opposed to the shit governments that own every country? ;)

gimme an article or something talking about how allowing a company from the UAE to run security specifically threatens our national security and i'll change my tune. remember, of course, that a) it's a private firm and b) it's not like they'll be calling the shots...it's not as though we're giving the UAE the keys to the gate, so to speak.

well said

Demonspell said:
It's just Bush acting like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way again. And the whole "The public is against this just because they're Arabs" defense...as was said earlier, the British didn't help bring the towers down. While I admit there's no evidence to suggest that outsourcing would leave our ports of entry more vulnerable to attack, there are more than enough legitimate concerns about the UAE and their ties to terrorists to make this look like a really fucking stupid proposal.

give it a fucking rest already. if you're ONLY going to base your statements on 100% pure speculation, than spare us, ok? thanks.

KILL TULLY said:
Isn't that the WHOLE ENTIRE POINT of this war thingy? Taking out a "bad" guy, putting in a "good" goverment, then assimilating them into "normal" western relations?
it's working real well in Iraq, huh...spiralling into civil war. we've got to get our folks out NOW.

and Hamas wins the election in lebanon, apparently we support democracy only when its the results we want.

but the koolaid drinkers still believe the middle east can in months adopt a system that is entirely foreign to their entire culture.

lizard said:
it's working real well in Iraq, huh...spiralling into civil war. we've got to get our folks out NOW.

and Hamas wins the election in lebanon, apparently we support democracy only when its the results we want.

but the koolaid drinkers still believe the middle east can in months adopt a system that is entirely foreign to their entire culture.

I'm not saying its working, just saying thats the point.

Sept. 11 Report Ties Bin Laden to UAE

Top White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke "called a UAE official to express his concerns about possible associations between Emirati officials and bin Laden," the report said.

At a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday, Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record), the ranking Democrat, asked Deputy Treasury Secretary Robert Kimmitt if he was aware of the 9-11 commission's assertion that the United Arab Emirates represents "a persistent counterterrorism problem" for the United States.

"Any time a foreign-government controlled company comes in," Kimmitt said, "the intelligence assessment is of both the country and the company."

"Just raise your hand if anybody talked to the 9-11 commission," Levin told the administration representatives at the witness table. Nobody raised a hand.

lizard said:
apparently we support democracy only when its the results we want.
Yeah, I liked how we yanked Palestinian aid after Hamas won there, haha.

B000000H2H.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:kickass:

lizard said:

Top White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke "called a UAE official to express his concerns about possible associations between Emirati officials and bin Laden," the report said.

At a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday, Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record), the ranking Democrat, asked Deputy Treasury Secretary Robert Kimmitt if he was aware of the 9-11 commission's assertion that the United Arab Emirates represents "a persistent counterterrorism problem" for the United States.

"Any time a foreign-government controlled company comes in," Kimmitt said, "the intelligence assessment is of both the country and the company."

"Just raise your hand if anybody talked to the 9-11 commission," Levin told the administration representatives at the witness table. Nobody raised a hand.
k now i'm questioning again, exactly the kind of info i was wondering about

i just want to know what the hell he was thinking, he can't have expected this to go over well, even (especially?) with his talking heads in the republican party

lizard said:

source? or did you write that yourself? ;)

I'm not sure about this whole thing. sure it looks bad BUT from what i've heard it doesn't seem like much will actually change in the ports other than the name of the people running it, from a security standpoint we're probably no worse off.

on the other hand, i think the "EVERYTHING MUST GO FOREIGN INVESTORS STEP ON UP!!!" attitude the US goverment seems to have had regarding ports, the panama canal, etc. for at least the past few decades is a really foolish way of running things.

also this is like the 500 billionth time the administration has asked us to just trust them, which is really getting old.