You've got to be fucking kidding me 2 ...

yeah. call it an unjust war, illegal aggression, colossal blunder, all three, or whatever you want but terrorism? nah, unless you mean it in an extremely broad sense.

... defined by the US Department of Defense as "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."

i'm not trying to start a debate about semantics, as far as i'm concerned people living in a constant state of fear for their personal safety due directly to continuing military action is close enough to terrorism

IOfTheStorm said:
... defined by the US Department of Defense as "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."

fair enough, although that definition was probably written to allow the largest possible number of organizations to be called terrorists so the US wouldn't run out of enemies any time soon. i mean they consider the ELF terrorists for goodness sake

Mormagil said:
yeah. call it an unjust war, illegal aggression, colossal blunder, all three, or whatever you want but terrorism? nah, unless you mean it in an extremely broad sense.

who says I'm talking about iraq?

so the U.S. never trained and sponsored paramilitary activity around the world to overthrow governments?

anyway, I live in northern ireland
when I was a kid in belfast I used to listen to the bombs exploding in the city on an amost daily basis . my dad had to shovel (yes fucking shovel) the remains of people into bags after the oxford street bus station bombing by the IRA.

the IRA were heavily funded by 'donations' to the cause by americans

how your attitudes changed after you got a taste

@mormagil: well somebody in the administration referred to a teachers' union as a terrorist organization once...dammit i wish i could remember who it was....ah it was the (now former, i believe) secretary of education (?)

edit: yep it was that jerkoff rod paige, and yes he's gone, thankfully

haha, exactly. these days the word is used mostly as a way of triggering doublethink than anything else, on both sides.

@erik: earth liberation front, they break into laboratories and free all the animal test subjects and whatnot. for them to be legitimate terrorists at least in my eyes they'd probably have to kidnap pharmaceutical company executives' children and slit their throats

yes but what is the ELF if not a terrorist group? there is such a thing as proper usage of the term, and i do believe this is a case of such

they're radical nuts, but as far as i know they're pretty specific with their targets and the main goal of their attacks is to free animals rather than create some kind of mass panic which would then lead to their demands being met. of course i could be wrong

and to unhinged, yeah i thought you meant iraq. definitely no argument with you on what you were actually saying though.