YT: Axe-Fx Mesa for Metal Shootout

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

Please take a listen to these metal patches that I've been working on on my Axe-Fx Ultra and let me know what you think of them and which was your favorite one. Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark IV + stiletto 4x12 with no boost sound best to my ears, followed closely by the Duotone.

Yeah, I'd be happy using any of these amps. I think it's really hard for ears to adjust to those other guitar tones after your ears are used to the first tone. In my last amp shootout people liked the first amp the most also.

Mark IV has the thickest tone, which I like. But I feel like the roadking is a little more hollow in a good way leaving more space for vocals. I think the mark iv would take some more EQing to prevent it from clouding up the mix.
You can instantly hear more clarity in the drums when it switches from the MKIV to road king.

Haha! Thanks guys. I threw in the Duotone because I always loved that tone. There are a few albums where I know it's being used and it always fits the mix just the right way. I don't have a good 5150 patch yet. Would love to make one. Do you guys have a good tone example of a TS-5150-MESA OS412 chain? I hear it's supposed to kill everything. :D

I guess I can share the patches. These all have custom IR's with very detailed tweakage on some patches like the Mark IV f.ex.

Wow.. Mark IV killed to ME in this one. A little more subduing of some room eating mids would be sweet, but it's a damn good tone man!

TBH I really didn't like any of these tones that much. If i had to pick it would be the mark iv and the H&K. But i wouldn't use any of these in a mix. imo of course

As you might know, there's no Triple Recto or Duotone in the Axe-Fx. So they are match EQ'd out of some tones with extensive tweaking. The Triple Rectifier is matched from Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies f.ex. and I didn't really tweak it all that much. IMO it had way too much gain so that must've been the biggest difference in that tone. The Mark IV is based on Petrucci's Black Clouds tone and the Roadking is from Octavarium. But like I said... not really straight up match EQ, but went very deep into figuring out where they had cut out room for other instruments etc.

But yeah, I didn't even try to fit these tracks into the mix. No post processing, no compression, eq or limiting of whatever. No C4 tricks. :) Just raw tones.

The triple recto tone was matched from ADD? Strange, sounds nothing like it. Still good though.

As you might know, there's no Triple Recto or Duotone in the Axe-Fx. So they are match EQ'd out of some tones with extensive tweaking. The Triple Rectifier is matched from Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies f.ex. and I didn't really tweak it all that much. IMO it had way too much gain so that must've been the biggest difference in that tone. The Mark IV is based on Petrucci's Black Clouds tone and the Roadking is from Octavarium. But like I said... not really straight up match EQ, but went very deep into figuring out where they had cut out room for other instruments etc.

But yeah, I didn't even try to fit these tracks into the mix. No post processing, no compression, eq or limiting of whatever. No C4 tricks. :) Just raw tones.

I can tell they are raw tones ;) but good job none the less. The axe fx just doesn't do it for me. The high end on them always sound artificial and they have no natural movement in the feel of the tone itself. so i know i will be sticking to real amps. But for guys doing demo's and using it live it is a kick ass unit.