YT: Kemper Profiling Amp - Rectifier

i'm gonna get my hands on a kemper in a few days since a friend of mine just purchased one. gonna give you an insight of my impressions asap.

Q: Loads of people complain about the AXE-FX being complicated to use, takes a long time to get a good sound, not good out of the box, how does this out of the box compare in terms of easy of use and sound? I've always had a beef with these reports on the AXE-FX out of the box, IMO if you pay that sort of money it should sound great straight away and only get better as you learn to tweak it. You shouldn't need to struggle to get there.

Easy as shit to use.
I dont spend anyway near the amount of time tweaking as I do with other units.
Plug in, turn on, play.
Most of the presets are good, I just add gain,bass, treble etc by the front knobs and I'm done. Basically a couple of seconds tweaking if needed.

Add a stomp? Push and hold and stomp box button, turn the rotary to the effect, done. Tweak it using the same knob-age on the front.
Want new profiles? Add them to your usb folder, stick it in the toaster, click import and done.
Change cab/amp? Press hold button, turn knob ends, done.

The user profiles getting added on the site are amazing. Tills cabs are a good example.

Easy as shit to use.
I dont spend anyway near the amount of time tweaking as I do with other units.
Plug in, turn on, play.
Most of the presets are good, I just add gain,bass, treble etc by the front knobs and I'm done. Basically a couple of seconds tweaking if needed.

Add a stomp? Push and hold and stomp box button, turn the rotary to the effect, done. Tweak it using the same knob-age on the front.
Want new profiles? Add them to your usb folder, stick it in the toaster, click import and done.
Change cab/amp? Press hold button, turn knob ends, done.

The user profiles getting added on the site are amazing. Tills cabs are a good example.

Thanks for the insight. Rack mount and I'd be all over this. I've been gasing for an Axe-FX for years because I can't run real amps where I live. Never made the jump because there was always something about the sound that I just don't like. This looks very promising.

Hey guys, I was wondering; when you play more hard rock oriented music and hit lower strings to get a big chord sound (say, you're hitting a G) , does it do the trick? Cos when you do it on a real Marshall, you get a big open sound and can hear the vibration of strings seperately. But when you do it on a modeller (I know Kemper's not a modeller) you always get a flat and muffled sound.

We had a discussion with a friend after watching Kemper's Bogner profiling video about the high notes on the chords. It sounds they are not that detailed and open.

So were are all the metal amp profiles?

There are a handfull of amps per week that get uploaded on the kemper website, but nothing that makes me want this thing now.
Im about to pull the trigger on this beauty, but i have 2-3 profiles im interested in so far (Ola's rectumfrier offcourse, Ken Susi and mr Merrow's 5150's).. and there are not much new ones coming out.

So were are all the metal amp profiles?

There are a handfull of amps per week that get uploaded on the kemper website, but nothing that makes me want this thing now.
Im about to pull the trigger on this beauty, but i have 2-3 profiles im interested in so far (Ola's rectumfrier offcourse, Ken Susi and mr Merrow's 5150's).. and there are not much new ones coming out.

that's the very same reason i returned mine and decided to wait and see what happens :)

Where did you get Ken Susi's profile, though? i saw his youtube clip and searched the kemper forum, but found nothing

ah i see!

Well, the Susi profile is nowhere to be found, im really interested in it but as long as profiles like that are not uploaded, i think i need to stay away as well until it all gets released.. hopefully soon.

i think mr. sneap should release a commercial profile collection of his workhorse metal amps *ahem* :D

at least that would get me sold on getting one again

Yeah the Susi profile is a weird missing (and promised) one :(
Personally, I have had no problem getting a good metal tone from what has been supplied.
I even got an ok sound with an AC 30 and stomps (also few variations with Tills) just for fun.

Guess it depends what "metal" sounds like to each individual. I just like picking any old profile and dropping stuff in.

I actually find the website marketing of this a bit strange. You would think that this product is going to appeal most to people you can't afford lots of amps or are working where an amp is not possible. All they really talk about is if you have an amp and you get a really great sound profile it and you can dial it in anytime anywhere. Obviously this is a really valuable thing to do but if it was me I'd be promoting the community sharing of profiles more than anything else.

I really want a Kemper:p

I'm suprised that some of you say there is no difference. In every comparison I have heard, there is a consistant difference. The profile always has reduced high freqs. Even my damn girlfriend heard the difference when i was playing Ken Susi's clip. I didn't actually beleive she heard it because she can't hear shit...but she said "the kemper is like...less clear than the real one. Like...less treble.":tickled:

If someone makes a blind test, I'm confident I can pick out the kemper every time....and I don't have the ears of most people here...

I think that the Kemper should update the amp, and insert a match EQ function into the "refining" process. This seems like it would be fairly simple, and solve the majority of the problem.

Clark Kent, would you mind making taking the audio from Ola's recto comparison video and applying match EQ to the profiled part? Then we can see how close they would be if Kemper implemented match EQ into the refining process.

I'm suprised that some of you say there is no difference. In every comparison I have heard, there is a consistant difference.

i also notice this difference with many of the AB comparisons

having owned a kemper for around 10 days, i can tell you based on my experience that you can get rid of this 'small' difference either by further refining, as well as by slightly tweaking the advanced amp parameters.

still, the profile sounding a little different in terms of EQing, doesn't make it worse, imo. it's still a 'raw' signal, and will be processed during mixing.

my main beef with the kemper was the ever so slight latency (apparently fixed with the newer firmware), as well as the 'feel' i had on most profiles under high gain. i'm very tempted to pick one up again once the firmware matures.

Would the 'refining' process effectively just be a form of EQ matching anyway?

Something like that....

But I have read about people getting non-EQ differences depending on exactly how/what they play while refining.

It just seems silly that the thing is not exactly representative of the amp in terms of EQ, given the fact that we can do that with plugins very easily.

You could send Kemper an email. They might not have thought about using match EQ to further refine the tone. Also I just stumbled upon this picture here of a black unit, maybe the rack version will show up soon as well.

Kemper-old-new.jpg

Here is a pic that i think was taken from this year's musikmesse (got it from the kemper forum)

Its the black version; a pic of the back. If you notice there seems to be a poweramp in it. You can see the extra output.

PS: id rather they had made a stereo poweramp, but its all good. Either way all this is just speculation but people are assuming that this is the case because of kemper having said several time in the past that this cavity would be used for that purpose.

kpaback.jpg

Just sold my last amp today.

I can honestly hear a difference... the sound of my bank account kerrr-ching!!!
And more space in the room. So long dusty old amps, you won't be missed.