Nirvana Poll

Fight_-_War_Of_Words_(Front).jpg

For once, we completely agree. One of my favorite albums, have it on white vinyl.

It still amazes me how passionate some metal-heads are about hating grunge -- particularly Nirvana and Kurt Cobain -- even after all these years. I've always said, metal never died, you just had to look for it. Like some people here have, major labels gave up on metal, and in fact, by 1991, the most popular and best-selling metal albums were hair-metal bands. Now while I will always have a huge soft-spot in my heart for hair-metal, I don't think that Kurt Cobain single-handedly killed them off. Labels have always -- and will always -- gravitate towards what sells. Otherwise, nobody in the world would know who the hell Fred Durst is. 1991 brought Metallica's black album, which I know that so many of you purists will call "sell-out" there, but it remains one of the best-selling records EVER. And let's not forget DT's breakthrough came during the so-called "grunge years." So metal didn't die because of Nirvana -- or because of any grunge band. Grunge was just another way for musicians to express themselves. Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter and took so much different music, a lot that wasn't even heard of before he covered it (i.e. the Vaselines), and made it accessible to the masses. Ask any musician here, and I'll call BS if they say they wouldn't kill to have their music heard and revered by the millions.

As it maybe obvious, I did love Nirvana and still listen to them frequently. But I also pull out my Tyketto and Danger Danger CD's all the time as well. Nevermind was a great album, as were all of their albums. I particularly love Incesticide, a great collection of raw, metal-tinged punk that rarely gets talked about in the Nirvana conversation. I also loved grunge as a whole (Pearl Jam was a big obsession for me in high school). All throughout this time though, I was still rocking out to my metal, mainly because I knew where to look.

Everybody has their opinion though. But you know what they say about opinions...

:headbang:

It still amazes me how passionate some metal-heads are about hating grunge -- particularly Nirvana and Kurt Cobain -- even after all these years. I've always said, metal never died, you just had to look for it. Like some people here have, major labels gave up on metal, and in fact, by 1991, the most popular and best-selling metal albums were hair-metal bands. Now while I will always have a huge soft-spot in my heart for hair-metal, I don't think that Kurt Cobain single-handedly killed them off. Labels have always -- and will always -- gravitate towards what sells. Otherwise, nobody in the world would know who the hell Fred Durst is. 1991 brought Metallica's black album, which I know that so many of you purists will call "sell-out" there, but it remains one of the best-selling records EVER. And let's not forget DT's breakthrough came during the so-called "grunge years." So metal didn't die because of Nirvana -- or because of any grunge band. Grunge was just another way for musicians to express themselves. Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter and took so much different music, a lot that wasn't even heard of before he covered it (i.e. the Vaselines), and made it accessible to the masses. Ask any musician here, and I'll call BS if they say they wouldn't kill to have their music heard and revered by the millions.

As it maybe obvious, I did love Nirvana and still listen to them frequently. But I also pull out my Tyketto and Danger Danger CD's all the time as well. Nevermind was a great album, as were all of their albums. I particularly love Incesticide, a great collection of raw, metal-tinged punk that rarely gets talked about in the Nirvana conversation. I also loved grunge as a whole (Pearl Jam was a big obsession for me in high school). All throughout this time though, I was still rocking out to my metal, mainly because I knew where to look.

Everybody has their opinion though. But you know what they say about opinions...

:headbang:
Nah. I still hate 'em.

it is funny, most of the people who are posting that it wasnt dead or posting album covers were probably not there at the time. For those who were can back me up.....majority of the metal bands at the time were putting out commercial aimed material, rehashing, and not putting much creativity into the music. Plus you had two of the bigger metal acts getting new singers, Maiden and Preist. For those who were there know that "grunge" and even the hardcore music scene at that time were fresh and even considered "underground" at the time. Sure there were some good disc still coming out but most of these were not available at the time....dont forget it was pre-internet so you just couldnt order it online. I knew lots of people who changed over from listening to metal and got into punk / hardcore because it still had the rage and excitement that metal once had. Music goes in cycles and this happened to be one of those cycles. No one forced it to happen....it was the bands itself that made it happen. No one was forcing people to change what they were listening to. It basically is when something isnt good anymore you look for something else. At the time...metal wasnt that good anymore. It needed time to sleep to come back. Sure there were lots of good bands around who were putting out good stuff...at the time in the states you could not get it easily. I think most forget what it was like before the internet and online ordering was like.

Hated 'em. And The White Stripes (not that one has anything to do with the other than I dislike them both greatly.) Honestly, I never fell into the "grunge scene" even if they destroyed the godly sounds of the metal scene (sarcasm mode off.) Honestly, and I wouldn't really consider Alice in Chains grunge, AIC was the only band from the "Seattle Scene" I enjoyed. That said, Soundgarden had some interesting moments in between their off-key mess of song structures and wanna-be hippie sunshine moments.

Pre-Internet? :rolleyes:

Remember alt.rock-n-roll.metal etc? That was during the height of grunge. There were tons of metal bands being discussed at the time. Even Angra. Metal didn't really die. The mainstream audience that bought Whitesnake records in 1987 bought Nirvana CDs in 1992. That audience never cared for Helloween, Sabbath, Saxon, Raven, Samson, King Diamond, Overdrive, Metal Church, Judas Priest etc.

Now did Strange Highways give me the same joy as Holy Diver? No but it was still a great album in early 1994. There were several great albums released in the 90s that went unnoticed. I always looked forward to a new Sab album with Martin. Even enjoyed the new stuff like Sepultura and Life of Agony. The music was there, could be bought and it was publicized on tv (metal video shows), radio, magazines as well as the Internet. It was never dead.

it is funny, most of the people who are posting that it wasnt dead or posting album covers were probably not there at the time. For those who were can back me up.....majority of the metal bands at the time were putting out commercial aimed material, rehashing, and not putting much creativity into the music. Plus you had two of the bigger metal acts getting new singers, Maiden and Preist. For those who were there know that "grunge" and even the hardcore music scene at that time were fresh and even considered "underground" at the time. Sure there were some good disc still coming out but most of these were not available at the time....dont forget it was pre-internet so you just couldnt order it online. I knew lots of people who changed over from listening to metal and got into punk / hardcore because it still had the rage and excitement that metal once had. Music goes in cycles and this happened to be one of those cycles. No one forced it to happen....it was the bands itself that made it happen. No one was forcing people to change what they were listening to. It basically is when something isnt good anymore you look for something else. At the time...metal wasnt that good anymore. It needed time to sleep to come back. Sure there were lots of good bands around who were putting out good stuff...at the time in the states you could not get it easily. I think most forget what it was like before the internet and online ordering was like.

10th Dream....you say that it was people who were buying Whitesnake were the ones who bought Nirvana....no...it was lots more than that. There were lots of people I know who were into metal and underground metal who changed over to Nirvana and punk music. It was something that just happened. Lots of those albums you posted were not very good....sorry. This is why Nirvana hit as big as they did. Metal was around but completely out of steam. Nothing original or refreshing was happening. Something new hit and people got excited again about music....sorry. If metal wasnt still as big as you say home come Maiden was playing the Vic Theater....which holds only a little over 1,000. Sure you mention different boards that were starting but you could still not walk into a store and get Blind Guardian or Angra disc.

I seriously loved Nirvana while in middle school and high school. "Nevermind" was, and still is, my favorite album of theirs. I would listen to it for hours, over and over again.

These days, I could care less.

ETA: And for the record, yes I wore a flannel shirt every single day for years. :Spin:

I can honestly say I hated Nirvana immediately. It was the first time I truly realized I had nothing in common with the mainstream.

This.

I remember the very first time I heard Nirvana. I was at work and a co-worker friend who was a bit younger than me runs up to me with his walkman. He wanted me to hear this band that he thought was awesome. We'd hung out before, listened to Ozzy, Metallica, GNR, etc, went to Aerosmith, Motley Crue and other concerts together so I had no reason to believe this new band he wanted me to hear would do anything but kick ass. Then I heard "Teen Spirit" and was completly underwhelmed by it's mediocrity and how terrible I thought the singer was. I kept listening, thinking it HAD to get better and it just got worse. I asked if this was some kind of joke but he was dead serious and looked at me like I was from another planet cuz I didn't get it. Still don't.

"Heart Shaped Box" is the only song I know that makes me physically nautious. I don't know what it is about that song but it literally makes me feel ill in my stomach when I hear it.