Who will be the band this year to impress the most?

I doubt it. Not because I don't believe they'll give a great performance, they probably will. But simply because that style of music doesn't appeal to everyone. Most of the bands that end up becoming PP legends appeal to both prog and power fans. DGM is in that sweet spot. Oceans of Sadness' audience is going to be a bit smaller, no matter how well they perform.

Hmm.

Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, DSO, Orphaned Land... need I say more?

TAROT for sure, and possibly Delain

Tarot I think is expected, and the sole reason I wanted to go, though now that can't happen. I'm surprised no one is mentioning Stormwarrior since they fit that powerful power metal tag that most of these bands in the past have had.

As Ken said having seen Nocturnal Rites and knowing what they can do live, everybody better get fucking ready!!! They will absolutely decimate you! They are easily one of the funnest bands I have ever seen live and I am so stoked on being a sponsor and being in front of the rail for the whole set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneoneone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people say DGM and all I hope is that any band suprise me like Sabaton did last year....I didnt give them a thought in my mind until I saw them just kill and steal the show last year so in that regard all I ask is for another suprise from a band I may not have given 2 thoughts to other wise....this year regardless seems to be on a good start. Everyone seems excited and in good spirits! Cant wait!

Kamelot and Hammerfall as headliners will rock the house. But I really think DGM will be the surprise winner. Their CDs are OK, but I bet they put on a great show live. Tarot will also put on an awesome show with Marco as the lead. Delain (especially if Charlotte and Marco do duets) will be very good. Nocturnal Rites is the one I'm not sure of - could go either way. Illusion Suite will be in the mix. Tyr is a personal fave of mine, but will the crowd go for folk/viking metal? The only ones I'm not really counting on are Oceans of Sadness and Stormwarrior. If either one of these are crowd pleasers, I'd be surprised.

Nocturnal Rites and Accept.

DGM and Oceans of Sadness just aren't built to destroy. You generally need a killer front man and big anthemic choruses (Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Edguy, Angel Dust, Sabaton). There are exceptions to the rule (Pagan's Mind & Circus Maximus). But both have built followings among the ProgPower faithful.

Based on what I've heard from friends that saw their show at Powerfest, I have very high expectations for Nocturnal Rites and I think they will kick some serious ass. *kicks self in ass for about the 1000th time for missing the show because NR was the only band I wanted to see and didn't want to spend that much money to see one band*

If they can play live as well as Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind do live, I think from a technical standpoint, Seventh Wonder will be amazing to watch live.

I hope this is the case. They are the band im looking forward to the most. But the safe bet is Nocturnal Rites.

I look at the word IMPRESS and think "first impression". Many of the bands mentioned on multiple occasions here are EXPECTED to put on a hell of a show. Seventh Wonder are now in on the radar and it will be their time to IMPRESS attendees....fans and fans to be made.

Maybe I am off base here....... but I doubt it. Vanden Plas and Pagan's Mind were crowd favorites when they played and I think the reason is two-fold..... number one, I think they had somewhat of a following from the fans at PPUSA, much like Greg mentioned.... but I also think it is just an over-all sound as well. Despite Vanden Plas being really melodic and soft in places, they have a power chord based riffing guitar attack almost based in traditional style metal despite being prog. The same goes for Pagan's Mind. Those crunchy guitar chords sound like metal and will please the ears of the non-prog or non sub-genre specific fans. This is just an observation, but I think it has some merit to it.
As far as "technical" I definitely think it is important, but it is going to be important to the musicians and prog fans, not near as much so to the power and non sub-genre specific fans though. I think SW will get a great reception...... but 80% of the time, a power-metal band tends to take over the crowd.

Bryant

Based on what I've heard from friends that saw their show at Powerfest, I have very high expectations for Nocturnal Rites and I think they will kick some serious ass. *kicks self in ass for about the 1000th time for missing the show because NR was the only band I wanted to see and didn't want to spend that much money to see one band*

If they can play live as well as Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind do live, I think from a technical standpoint, Seventh Wonder will be amazing to watch live.

Seventh Wonder are now in on the radar and it will be their time to IMPRESS attendees....fans and fans to be made.
Of this year's line up, this is the band that intrigues me most. I haven't been able to get into their discs. They're a bit too melodic for my tastes, and lack the type of edginess I enjoy in Metal music. However, I felt similarly about Circus Maximus heading into their first ProgPower performance. I'm definitely approaching the Seventh Wonder set optimistically. I'll either be leaving three songs in or staying for the whole thing and buying a handful of their discs at the conclusion of their set.

.....I'm definitely approaching the Seventh Wonder set optimistically. I'll either be leaving three songs in or staying for the whole thing and buying a handful of their discs at the conclusion of their set.
I'm hoping for the latter.

I'm convinced that Seventh Wonder will amaze people.
They CAN deliver live! I'm sure that the technical yet melodic songs, combined with a lot of energy on stage, will attract new fans as well (don't forget, they have some little 'powermetal-parts' as well in some of the songs).

Maybe I am off base here....... but I doubt it. Vanden Plas and Pagan's Mind were crowd favorites when they played and I think the reason is two-fold..... number one, I think they had somewhat of a following from the fans at PPUSA, much like Greg mentioned.... but I also think it is just an over-all sound as well. Despite Vanden Plas being really melodic and soft in places, they have a power chord based riffing guitar attack almost based in traditional style metal despite being prog. The same goes for Pagan's Mind. Those crunchy guitar chords sound like metal and will please the ears of the non-prog or non sub-genre specific fans. This is just an observation, but I think it has some merit to it.
As far as "technical" I definitely think it is important, but it is going to be important to the musicians and prog fans, not near as much so to the power and non sub-genre specific fans though. I think SW will get a great reception...... but 80% of the time, a power-metal band tends to take over the crowd.

Bryant

I don't know about Vanden Plas since I didnt' see them, but you also have to figure in Pagan's Mind case they have a charismatic frontman in Nils. I think that has a big part of it as well.