08-09 NFL Thread

Raiders Win!!!!!Despite firing reports, Kiffin, McFadden lead Raiders over Chiefs
Report: Davis, Raiders set to fire Kiffin as soon as Monday

More on this later

Hochuli's call is flawed, and so is instant replay:
unday, September 14, 2008

DENVER – Referee Ed Hochuli was born on Christmas Day. Denver quarterback Jay Cutler was born in Santa Claus, Ind.

So how come the Chargers feel as if they've been grappling with the Grinch?

Hochuli's wrongful whistle erased a critical Cutler fumble with barely a minute remaining in regulation Sunday, and the Broncos quarterback responded to the bizarre reprieve by throwing a touchdown pass and a game-winning two-point conversion to beat the Chargers, 39-38.

It was a turn of events to turn San Diego stomachs.

“It was a fumble, clear to everyone on our sideline, and I'm sure all the fans,” Chargers coach Norv Turner said. “Ed came over to me and said he blew it and that's not, to me, acceptable. This is a high-level performance game and it is not acceptable to have a game decided on that play.”

The Chargers were angry as they left Invesco Field, but their ire was directed inward as well as at the officiating. It's hard to hold the officials completely accountable when you allow 31 points in the first half, but it's equally hard to work your way back into the game and have it taken away by a third-party blunder.

Here's what happened: With the Chargers clinging to a 38-31 lead, Denver drove the length of the field to a first-and-goal at the San Diego two-yard line.

On first down, Michael Pittman was stopped a yard shy of the end zone. On second down, Cutler rolled right in search of a receiver, but lost his grip on the ball as he raised it in anticipation of a throw.

“I think it was a fumble,” Cutler admitted. “It's one of those plays that just happens. We get some good calls every once in a while.”

Charger linebacker Tim Dobbins covered the fumble – and replays confirmed it was clearly a fumble – only to have the ball returned to Denver through a fluky flaw in the replay system.

“The ruling on the field was that it was an incomplete pass,” Hochuli told a pool reporter. “We went to replay. It should have been ruled a fumble. By rule – by the instant replay rules – on that particular play where there's a pass/fumble, a quarterback pass/fumble – the rules do not permit you to give the ball to the other team. All we can do to fix it is put the ball at the spot that it hit the ground.”

Hochuli argued that the call was “really not even a whistle issue,” but the Phoenix lawyer lost me with his logic. If the whistle had not been blown, Dobbins could have recovered the ball and the replay system would have upheld his recovery. Because the whistle was blown, the play is governed not by equity or reason, but by procedure.

The NFL's replay review system exists to fix errors, but it is evidently powerless against a mistaken whistle.

“To have something like that happen is just not good,” Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. “The NFL is (constantly) holding us accountable for what we do. The officials should be accountable, too.”

Ed Hochuli may be looking at a reprimand. The Chargers, meanwhile, are looking at a loss.

Ok now the Denver..... Please that was a fumble... San Diego got fucked and hard..... First the replay machine doesn't work and then the whistle was blown after the fumble? Now you know how the Raiders feel.... At the press confrence after the game Norv Turner said the the head referee up came over to him and admitted he blew it...... and i wonder how much he had on the game?
I am waiting for molochete to chime in..... 2-0 Broncos..... Well let's here it.......

Now you know how the Raiders feel....

no other team can feel that bad.

but for the calls. i also call it stupid...

the replay machine not working????...WTF!!!!!!

the whistle blown after the fumble...the ref thought it was a incomplete pass...so when it hit the ground he called it dead...but when they reviewed it...and it wasnt a incomplete pass...but a fumble...i do agree SAN DIEGO should have gotten the ball...because if it happened the other way around i would be really pissed

BTW..its hear it....not here

no other team can feel that bad.

but for the calls. i also call it stupid...
Are you CRAZY!?!?!? I loved the calls!! Couldn't happen to a nicer team!!
Also anyone notice how fast L.T.'s injury was bothering him when they were in that hole?? He made his exit really quick..What a competitor:rolleyes:

Shanahan showed awesome guts with the 2 pointer.. Awesome call!!
If damn Cutler can learn how to hold the ball I could be a Bronco believer again!!

Congrats on the win Thraxx!! It tells me that K.C. and not Oakland will be in the AFC West cellar when the season ends. As for Kiffin he'll be better off!!
Al Davis is a clown and the Raiders will NEVER get a decent coach on his watch!!! He looks for puppets and apparently Kiffin isn't one, good for him!! Expect him to be fired sometime this week.

Q?!? I know you're reading.. The Bills are for real!!! And I can't wait for the Bills - Pats showdowns!! It will let us know exactly where N.E. will be in the division w/o Brady cause the Bills will bring game.

AWESOME WEEK 2!!!!! The Vikings SUCK!!!! And the Bengals?!?! Well somethings are just to funny to be mentioned in the typed word!!:lol:

Q?!? I know you're reading.. The Bills are for real!!! And I can't wait for the Bills - Pats showdowns!! It will let us know exactly where N.E. will be in the division w/o Brady cause the Bills will bring game.

At best, I am cautiously optimistic. I personally believe that the Bills d-line should have completely dominated the Jax O-line. It was a battle.The running game concerns me too. Edwards can't carry this team. The running game has got to be better.
There were some positives. Youboty played at another level yesterday. The new offensive coordinator seems to be utilizing the backs and running screen passes. I also like the fact that they pass more on 1st down. Buffalo was so predictable as a run-run-pass team.
Most importantly, they won. Games like this are the ones Buffalo lost time and time again in the past. I hope this means Buffalo has finally learned how to win. It's still early. When they went 2-0 in 2004. They wound up what, 8-8/7-9.
Regardless of whether you think Mangini handed NE the game or you think NE won the game. The Patriots are still the class of the AFC until they are stopped. FUCK! I hate the Patriots but, you have to respect them. Those resilient pricks.
Good luck T-Man.

Congrats on the win Thraxx!! It tells me that K.C. and not Oakland will be in the AFC West cellar when the season ends. As for Kiffin he'll be better off!!
Al Davis is a clown and the Raiders will NEVER get a decent coach on his watch!!! He looks for puppets and apparently Kiffin isn't one, good for him!! Expect him to be fired sometime this week.

The Raiders are more than just a football team to me and many others. It is a community of people that have bonded together over years of ups and downs. The Raiders are the banner in which we come together, where the only color is silver and black, where religoin is football and age doesn't matter. I will always be a Raider fan no matter what. Not because of the teams record but because of what it has grown into beyond the football field. Hang in there and remember, being a Raider fan is more than just supporting a team, it is a life style.

Remember this:

Ed Hochuli Suspended 5 Games for HGH Use

First Shawne Merriman. Then Rodney Harrision and Wade Wilson.

Now this.

According to the Daily News, the NFL has suspended veteran official Ed Hochuli five games for using HGH, a sustance the league has banned but cannot test for.

"If you watched Ed's game this weekend, it was pretty obvious that he's even bigger this year than he was a year ago," Commisioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "There's no way he could have naturally added that much muscle mass at his age."

Records obtained from a ******** located in Florida indicate several orders for HGH were placed by an individual identified as "Ad Hoc." The mailing address on those shipments belongs to Hochuli's law firm in Phoenix.

Hochuli, 55, was not immediately available for comment. However, a spokesman for league officials said that Hochuli has been warned repeatedly that his biceps look bigger than T.O.'s in high definition.

Players representative Gene Upshaw added, "I've been receiving complaints from players for years. When a referee makes them feel inadequate by flexing in front of a national audience, the players have no choice but to use performance enhancing drugs to level the playing field."

Wanted: NFL Referees.....experience not needed, will train to suit

Pick a zebra, any zebra, and you'll find a blown call.

In this day and age, even with Side Judges, Line Judges, Referees, and even a Head Judge, you'll find someone missing a hold here, a bad fumble, or worse, a call that costs a game.

Today's segment, includes one Ed Hochuli.

In a particularly odd play, that makes AFC West fans think that Walt Coleman has a twin brother, Ed Hochuli calls a play a forward pass.

There's only two problems on this said play. One, is that the ball never transfered to the throwing hand, and two, the arm goes forward, without the ball, meaning, it's a fumble, and live.

In Hochuli's warped reality, it's a forward pass that somehow goes sideways and back from the QB.

What is probably the more stinging of these issues, is that even after a replay, he himself admits he blew the play dead, but instead of giving it back to the Chargers. He gives it to Denver!

Who of course, goes on to score, and win the game. Charming.

Now, I'm sure the director for officiating will be well paid to make this matter go hush hush. After all, everyone who isn't a fan of football remembers how many people believed the Tuck Rule, right?

About .01% of football. But because the refs said this, it must be ok.

Hogwash.

The system is only perfect, if the system is equally and fairly enforced by all officials in the game. An earlier blown call, involving Champ Bailey stripping a ball from a downed player, was another bungled call in this game.

Who's training these people?

Or, is it a case where the refs are tied up, and players from the practice squad are put in?

I hate to say it, but in this game, with millions in player salaries at stake, maybe it's time to pull the plugs on the refs.

The only problem would be then, is who monitors the game? Computers?

Couldn't be any worse than the current batch of refs.

And no, I don't favor the Broncos or the Chargers—I hate both clubs.

But, at the same time, if they foul up this much in two weeks,can you imagine what'll happen later on in the season?

NEW YORK (TICKER) —A botched officiating call in Sunday’s game between the Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers has reached the NFL offices.

The league on Monday said it will look into changing the inadvertent whistle rule after the season following the Broncos’ controversial 39-38 victory over the Chargers on Sunday.

The play stemmed from a non-fumble call against Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, who had the ball slip out of his hands while attempting a pass. The Chargers recovered with 1:14 left to seemingly lock up a 38-31 win.

But referee Ed Hochuli ruled the play dead after an inadvertent whistle and gave the ball back to the Broncos, who went ahead with a touchdown pass and two-point conversion with just 24 seconds to play.

Although Hochuli admitted the play was a fumble, he said the ruling on the field was an incomplete pass and that the replays rules in that instance do not allow the referees to award the ball to the other team.

Chargers coach Norv Turner termed the call “unacceptable,” and the league acknowledged Hochuli made a mistake.

“Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. “Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call.

“Under our evaluation system, an official’s grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained.”

Thraxx, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. :lol::lol::)

The Raiders are more than just a football team to me and many others. It is a community of people that have bonded together over years of ups and downs. The Raiders are the banner in which we come together, where the only color is silver and black, where religoin is football and age doesn't matter. I will always be a Raider fan no matter what. Not because of the teams record but because of what it has grown into beyond the football field. Hang in there and remember, being a Raider fan is more than just supporting a team, it is a life style.

What a bad week for the Bears!!!! Still don't know about Hestert :cry:

Hochuli apologizes to fans for blown call in Chargers-Broncos game

Ed Hochuli threw a flag on himself.

After blowing a call that helped the Denver Broncos beat the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, the referee admitted he made a mistake on Wednesday and is answering e-mail from some fans telling them that, according to multiple media reports.

nfl_u_hochuli_200.jpg

The NFL will give longtime official Ed Hochuli lower grades after he admitted botching a call late in the Chargers-Broncos game.

"I'm getting hundreds of e-mails -- hate mail -- but I'm responding to it all," Hochuli wrote to several Chargers fans, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. "People deserve a response. You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea ... Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection -- I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry."

The crucial call occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers 1-yard-line in the final minute. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli, a former NFLRA president, ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

My picks are in RED..
Oakland will be lucky to come away from this Bills game with a FG the way the Bills
"D" has looked thus far.... Q, have a killer time at the game!!!:kickass:

NFL
Sunday, Sep 21 FavoriteOpenTodayO/UUnderdog at Atlanta 4 1/25 1/236 1/2Kansas City at Baltimore22 1/238 1/2Cleveland at Buffalo8 1/29 1/236 1/2Oakland at Chicago3335 1/2Tampa BayDallasNL351 1/2at Green Bay atDenver5 1/25 1/251New Orleans at Indianapolis5541 1/2Jacksonville at Minnesota33 1/237 1/2Carolina at New England12 1/212 1/235 1/2Miami at NY Giants1313 1/241 1/2Cincinnati at PhiladelphiaNL3 1/244 1/2Pittsburgh at San Francisco4446 1/2Detroit at Seattle109 1/244St. Louis at Tennessee5539Houston at Washington3342Arizona Monday, Sep 22 FavoriteOpenTodayO/UUnderdog at San Diego9944NY Jets

Dude... get your shit together......That was last years games? WTF!
SF play Detroit
Washington vs Arizona
Houston at Tennessee
Dallas at Green Bay

ETC...
Drink some more of the punch ....TMAN

Raiders over the Bills by a field goal!

How Fucking lame to not use time outs..... The play calling ....Kiffen might be fired after this...... The last 6 minutes of the game were gut wrenching!

In a game they had no business winning, the Bills overcame three quarters of their own ineptitude to score 17 points in the final 8 minutes for a 24-23 win over the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. Lindell hit a 38-yard field goal as time ran out -- making up for a 46-yarder he missed earlier in the game -- and helping Buffalo get off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 1992.

First off, Since I'm probably going to get a ration of shit let me just say the the Dolphins played an OUTSTANDING game!!! I don't care who's under center when a team comes in that focused and determined to win there's just no stopping them.... Congrats to Miami fans!!!!:)

Oakland played a great game!! Yeah, I know the whole timeouts thing but to be honest I think Kiffin wants Davis to fire him... He has probably had enough of that retard and losing a game they were set to win at the end is a sure fire way to push Davis over the edge...

Colts are such a joke!! As bummed out as I was with the Pats, Peyton gave me some happiness!!

Steelers - Eagles was an awesome game too!!! Love that psycho defense both teams brought!!

The Broncos are getting all their gifts early and will probably get none by Christmas time.... Crazy fun to watch though!!!