100-150 Hz build up.

Yeah, that rumbly crap under 35-40Hz really isn't necessary for heavier rock and metal. It's why mix engineers for these genres don't need monitors that extend below 35Hz really

Try moving your amps to a different position in the room and get some thick rockwool/owens corning bales
in the room you record (not expensive) soak up some standing waves, keep out of the corners
with the amps. Check the response of the mic you use for peaks in that area, same with your
monitoring environment, unless your mix room is extensively treated you are going to have response anomolies
of 35dB+ at the monitoring position at bass frequencies.

Bass is the most commonly difficult thing to judge in ill treated rooms, physics dictates this.

+1

typos are very human - no one is perfect, yet some people do have knowledge and pass this on to others, thankyou - it's what you do with it and what weight you give it through testing or using your melon.

Try moving your amps to a different position in the room and get some thick rockwool/owens corning bales
in the room you record (not expensive) soak up some standing waves, keep out of the corners
with the amps. Check the response of the mic you use for peaks in that area, same with your
monitoring environment, unless your mix room is extensively treated you are going to have response anomolies
of 35dB+ at the monitoring position at bass frequencies.

Bass is the most commonly difficult thing to judge in ill treated rooms, physics dictates this.

I have to admit. I record and mix in the most ghetto of situations currently.
I'm doing my best to learn my space so I can adapt to it. I know this is the wrong way to approach it, but I can't afford treatment for my mixing area currently.

if it makes any difference, I'm running KRK Rokit 5s right now.

I'm stuck to mixing in my bedroom (I'd be kind of a dick to move my setup into the living room where my other roommates chill.
what's the best thing I can do (other than staying away from the walls) to better judge my low end?

and to go even further, how do I know when I'm not getting any ill judgments from what I hear on my monitors?

also, I keep hearing from tons of people to not to turn your monitors up too much when mixing.
how do you know when it's too loud? I feel like I mix pretty quietly, and I'm worried that might contribute to my misjudgments.

I have to admit. I record and mix in the most ghetto of situations currently.
I'm doing my best to learn my space so I can adapt to it. I know this is the wrong way to approach it, but I can't afford treatment for my mixing area currently.

if it makes any difference, I'm running KRK Rokit 5s right now.

I'm stuck to mixing in my bedroom (I'd be kind of a dick to move my setup into the living room where my other roommates chill.
what's the best thing I can do (other than staying away from the walls) to better judge my low end?

and to go even further, how do I know when I'm not getting any ill judgments from what I hear on my monitors?

also, I keep hearing from tons of people to not to turn your monitors up too much when mixing.
how do you know when it's too loud? I feel like I mix pretty quietly, and I'm worried that might contribute to my misjudgments.

car test.

tons, and tons, of car tests.

car test.

tons, and tons, of car tests.

my first mistake I found out when mixing, is that I should never mix a song to what my car speakers sound like. haha
I forgot that I shift the treble & bass from the stock settings.

last month I mixed something and it sounded pretty decent. I took it to my car and it sounded like pure crap. as if I had mixed it in earbuds.

a lesson well learned about mixing.

my first mistake I found out when mixing, is that I should never mix a song to what my car speakers sound like. haha
I forgot that I shift the treble & bass from the stock settings.

last month I mixed something and it sounded pretty decent. I took it to my car and it sounded like pure crap. as if I had mixed it in earbuds.

a lesson well learned about mixing.

the purpose of the car test is, atleast for someone like me, is that this is where the majority of ones casual music listening takes place, so those are the speakers/system that you know better than anything else. so even if they're crappy, you know atleast know what a well balanced mix/master should sound like in those, referenced against everything else you generally listen to.

Cut guitars at 100hz. Sidechain compress the bass with kickdrum as the key input.

does sidechain compression between the bass & kick drum make a huge difference?
I've never tried this method out of fear that I may end up with a "pumping" bass from all the ducking.

how often is this method used in metal?
is it a fix that is done in order to help soften tones that shouldn't be there from the get go, or is it a technique that is mostly used to just enhance a mix?

does sidechain compression between the bass & kick drum make a huge difference?
I've never tried this method out of fear that I may end up with a "pumping" bass from all the ducking.

how often is this method used in metal?
is it a fix that is done in order to help soften tones that shouldn't be there from the get go, or is it a technique that is mostly used to just enhance a mix?

the idea is to duck the bass for a very short time to let the attack of the kick hits through. it isn't standard practice, it's a method used when the kick is lost in the mix under the bass and you don't want to give it too much attack or increase the level.

i've never felt the need to do it, if you're mixing anything with a loud bright beater attack (a metal-ish kick) then i never find it necessary. just my2cents.

You know whats interesting about a lot of tricks is as I have seen.. thats all they are.

When I asked Jens about Katatonias TGCD he told me he used WAVES C4 he bypassed all the bands except low mids and centred it from 80 to 250hz and boosted the range to 10 and a gain of 1 - q to 75. if you look at the C4 thats a pretty good boost for the bass. He also did it gently to the guitars. Theres no denying that it warms up the bass. This is a form of expansion if I am not mistaken and is a it different to EQ, adds more growl however I could have caught him on a tired day and he's led me up the garden path.

He mentioned no cut however of course he might have cut the bass freq first then warmed it back up again. But this combination gives him chance to push the bass freq in the kick region as well.

And if you listen he got a nice bass tone going on there.