120 watt head not as loud as it should be?

tylerrr

Jun 17, 2010
Massachusetts
So I recently picked up a peavey triumph 120 which is a 120 watt all tube head. I know that may not be this forum's favorite piece of gear, but I love old peavey stuff and I think this thing sounds awesome. I play pretty loud and I've gotten kind of used to how loud I like to play and this amp seems far too quiet for 120 watts. I've heard old tubes can make an amp quieter/have less headroom, so I changed out all four power tubes and the amp still seemed quieter than it should be. All tubes light up fine and look healthy. I finally busted out my SPL meter and measured the volume of the triumph while it was pretty much dimed. I got a reading of about 116 db. I then decided to compare it to my other guitarists peavey classic 100(100 watts tube) and I effortlessly got a reading of over 120 db with this amp just about half way on the master volume. I also decided to measure it versus my peavey stereo chorus 400(130 watts solid state) and I got a reading of over 120 db with the volume just over halfway with that head too. I guess I'm just kind of baffled because all my peavey stuff is usually so loud. My 5150 was incredibly loud and even the valveking I owned for a while was plenty loud. I'm just wondering if anyone on here could give me any info on what might be wrong or if this amp is just a quiet 120 watt head. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Have the capacitors in the amp ever been replaced? There's a good chance they haven't, and bad/old capacitors can cause volume loss and degrade the sound of the amp.

Most amp repair techs can re-cap the amp for around a couple hundred bucks.

Have the capacitors in the amp ever been replaced? There's a good chance they haven't, and bad/old capacitors can cause volume loss and degrade the sound of the amp.

Most amp repair techs can re-cap the amp for around a couple hundred bucks.

I'm not positive, but I'm going to guess that they haven't, especially since there were still two of the original "peavey" power tubes in there and from what I can tell, all the preamp tubes are stock. If this was the case, could it be just volume loss or would I hear both volume loss and degraded sound quality? I just ask because the amp sounds very good and healthy to me. No early break up from the clean channel or anything.

I should add that there isn't a master volume and the clean channel gets noticeably louder than the crunch and ultra channels at just above halfway. Both distortion channels have to be pushed to at least 8 or 9 to match the clean channel at about 5. My SPL readings were of the distortion channels.