!

Woman Performs Cesarean Section on Herself

A 40-year-old Mexican woman who used a kitchen knife to give herself a cesarean section at home delivered a healthy baby boy.

It's believed to be the first time that both mother and child have survived a self-administered cesarean section, BBC News Online reported.

The woman lives in a rural area and was eight hours from the nearest hospital. Her home had no running water or electricity. The woman, who had previously lost a baby due to labor complications, decided to perform the cesarean on herself when she could not deliver the baby naturally.

She drank three glasses of liquor before attempting the surgery. Using a kitchen knife, she sliced open her abdomen in three attempts and then delivered the baby boy, who breathed immediately and cried, BBC News Online said.

One of the woman's children called a local nurse, who stitched the wound and had the mother and baby transferred to the nearest hospital.

The case was reported in the International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics

you know that mom is totally gonna hang that over the kid his whole life. "i cut you outta my belly with my own two hands! I'll be damned if you're gonna stay out past 10pm!"

i've seen my friends in labor. they'll do anything to save the baby. i've seen my sister do amazing physical feats in order to keep lauren out of trouble. moms are wild.