155 musicians pick their favorites of 2006 (Mikael and Niklas included)

Tchort was one of the asshats to pick an album of his own band. Any others?

Well that was another wonderfully wasted 5 minutes.

Hahaha. Niklas Sundin made some nice and pretentious choices (pretentious as far as metal goes)... And Mikael pleased me too.

I really think more people need to hear Above the Weeping World and Insomniac Doze to be honest. Especially that prat, Mike, out of Killswitch Engage. Seriously, his choices were just reach arounds. Fucking inbred cocksmoking metalcore fags.

Although the new KsE album is pretty good :p...

Edit: Some of these musicians have godawful taste.

@4thhorsemaster: Gus G. chooses his own band too... Asshat indeed.

John J.D. DeServio picked Black Label Society, and so on...

but Testament's Eric Peterson picking My Chemical Romance and the guy from Turisas picking Christina Aguilera.... and Anneke picking Justin Timberlake, those got to be the worst picks on the article...

Im just checking out Negura Bunget now... they are actually mint. Keep seeing their album around, its really well packaged. Anyway, odd that sundins picks have been blackmetal orientated.

Annnnd... yeah, when bands throw out stupid artists like JT and CA, it's obvious they've just been too busy or disinterested to actually listen to any actually good music.

Some of these people's tastes are awkward and childish (see My Chemical Romance), which is weird, coming from individuals whose names have been around since I was a teenager.

Niklas should have promoted the new Universal Poplab, heterosexuality be damned! :p

edit: To expand: I'm torn between appreciating someone who publicly praises Christina Aguilera to an audience of metallers because - I assume - he really liked her record, and feeling disappointed because Christina Aguilera shouldn't be more than a very guilty pleasure for someone well-versed in music.

best2006_michaelstanne.jpg

haha, Either Ughi or me took this pic in Virginia :D And it's not the eeriest one of that day :D

....and the guy from Turisas picking Christina Aguilera.... and Anneke picking Justin Timberlake, those got to be the worst picks on the article...

In the case of Anneke I would say that probably she really listens to a lot of current pop-music / electronic stuff and I know she digs many female singers, because of their voice, first of all, and Christina Aguilera does have a good voice.
I never really got into The Gathering because something feels always off, even though they have a couple of beautiful songs. I might probably be this tendency towards electronica.

As for Turisas, either it was a joke (and some other picks, too), or it was meant seriously because many Scandinavian musicians have a quite broad taste, from folk & songwriters through pop and 70s rock to Black Metal. Besides, even if you don´t like the music, for a couple of pop artists their songwriting is pretty good, too, for example Robbie Williams (I know he doesn´t write all by himself), so the choice is not only about a matter of taste, but also about recognizing composing skills.

Another example would be Lars Eikind of Winds/BTD etc, who also likes a Norwegian pop singer.

Some of these people's tastes are awkward and childish (see My Chemical Romance), which is weird, coming from individuals whose names have been around since I was a teenager.

The Black Parade is a solid record, it's been viewed as "mid-70s record of 21st century", I'm no authority, but it's easily one of the best this year.

Yeah, you get the feeling that a lot of those guys don't actually listen to much music.

it's been viewed as "mid-70s record of 21st century",

Does that even mean anything?

I don't want to make it seem as if I hate MCR, because I don't. I have some of their older stuff, I listen to it once in a while. I just imagine that, as a musician, I'd probably listen to, and like more, something that is less of a crowd-pleaser, unless said crowd-pleaser really is something amazing and earth-shattering.

My Chemical Romance = boredrome.

On the other hand, I'm currently listening to Anastacia's hit "Left outside alone", so I'm not really one to talk.

Surprising that Mikael chose Tenacious D new record, being this far behind the originality and good vibe the first one could boast about.

Also surprising J.L Turner going for Audioslave, Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili Peppers...

|ng.

Does that even mean anything?

I can hardly stand 70's and 80's music, and their new record (The Black Parade) sounds somewhat like that, and I happen to like it. A lot (heard only a few singles before).

Stadium Arcadium IS the album of the year. Being so huge it hardly has any fillers... if any at all.

ahahaha mikael arkefeldt just picked up the ones I'd have chosen..

and from the list we can say erik (watain) loves all sorts of different music, being his choice

* Dissection – Reinkaos (LP)
* Dissection – Reinkaos (CD)
* Dissection – Reinkaos (MC)

:rolleyes:

Erik (Watain) was in the last Dissection's line-up... I think this is kinda of a tribute to Jon Nodveidt?

Anyway... great lists by Mikael Stanne and especially by Niklas Sundin!

The new Slayer was the winner seemingly (did anyone figure that out? Did anyone receive more votes than Slayer). In my opinion, it's an overrated album.

^ It's a bad album. I find it quite lame. No one said Insomnium. And funnily pretty much everyone who has heard the new insomnium that I know say insomnium... which means none of the metal legends take time to listen to anyone but slayer and christina aguilera.