1st Official Fucked Universe Thread.. the Year is 1991

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
I'm sure you're wondering, what in the hell is he smoking now? Well, here's the name of the game. You're trapped in a fucked universe where the only cds that exist are from the year 1991. Nothing before, nothing after. 1991. To make matters worse, the law allows you to own only12, one dozen. Anymore and you lose all rights if caught.

Which 12 can you absolutely not do without?

Mine, in no particular order...

C.O.C. "Blind" (to this day my favorite political album of all time)
OVERKILL Horrorscope
SAVATAGE Streets (A Rock Opera)
SEPULTURA Arise
BOLT THROWER Warmaster
MORBID ANGEL Blessed Are The Sick
VICIOUS RUMORS Welcome To The Ball
PESTILENCE Testimony Of The Ancients
DEAD HORSE Peaceful Death and Pretty Flowers
DEATH Human
KINGDOM COME Hands Of Time
ARMORED SAINT Symbol Of Salvation

I could survive in this universe.
:cool:

This is a hard game. I'm trying to decide if I should just keep it within the bounds of metal, which will make it much easier, or have it encompass all music, which will make it very difficult.

bloodfiredeath said:
This is a hard game. I'm trying to decide if I should just keep it within the bounds of metal, which will make it much easier, or have it encompass all music, which will make it very difficult.

That's up to you. I'm sure there will be other years where I will have to include non-metal stuff, but for '91, I really didn't find too much non metal that could've beat out those I listed.

Game on! :hotjump:

like I said, this is tough, but here is what I came up with.

Anacrusis - Manic Impressions
Asphyx - The Rack
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Death - Human
Dinosaur Jr - Green Mind
Fear of God - Within The Veil
Freakwater – Dancing Underwater
Grave - Into The Grave
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Screeching Weasel – My Brain Hurts
Shudder To Think - Ten Spot
Slint - Spiderland

I was just a wee tike that year. I can only remember these:

Metallica - black album
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Death - Human
COC - Blind
Sepultura - Arise
?Godflesh - Pure (probably a few years off on this one)
?Obituary - The End Complete
?Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
?Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
?Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (pretty sure this was 1990)

I lived on a farm, wasn't old enough to drive, and had no clue where to find good metal. I did have those listed above around that time period.

npearce said:
I lived on a farm, wasn't old enough to drive, and had no clue where to find good metal. I did have those listed above around that time period.

Perhaps Papa Josh can clarify, but I interpreted this exercise as choosing 12 albums from 1991. I wasn't necessarily picking the 12 albums that were most important to me back in 91, as you have inferred. If that were the case, my list would be different.

I was trying to chose 12 from 1991. I put question marks by the albums I'm pretty sure aren't from 1991, but thought somebody would tell me if I was indeed correct about them.

Stuff from 1991 I owned when it really was 1991 (or maybe '92, I don't remember):

Metallica - Black Album
Nirvana - Nevermind
Sepultura - Arise
GnR - Use Your Illusion I
GnR - Use Your Illusion II
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magick
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Pearl Jam - Ten

Stuff I found later that was released in 1991:

Carcass - Necroticism
Napalm Death - Death By Manipulation
Type O Negative - Slow, Deep, and Hard

Only only own six albums from 1991, and like much less of them, so I'll have to borrow some of yours :p

Burzum - self-titled
Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 2
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
Slayer - Decade Of Aggression

Earcache website says Necroticism was released October 1991! I'll have to check my CD case when I get home.

However, replace Vulgar Display with Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese, I can't believe I forgot that one!!!

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Burzum - Burzum
Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods
Samael - Worship Him
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Sepultura - Arise
Paradise Lost - Gothic
At The Gates - Gardens Of Grief
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Carcass - Necroticism (Definitely 1991. Might be it wasn't released in the US 'til '92 if nothing else)
Tiamat - The Astral Sleep

Papa Josh said:
That was a bad ass album, I remember seeing them on Headbanger's Ball :Spin: and running out and getting that cd. All of my friends thought I was wack at first..
A buddy of mine played it for me when it first came out. I asked "what the fuck is that FUCKED up sound!!?!?" "That's bass, dude." I got a chance to pick up bass for my middle school jazz band a year later, and the rest is history. :)