2003 is coming to an end...

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Overall 2003, imo, was a great year for extreme metal. In your opinion, what is your top 10 of 2003 thus far and your dissapointments of the year.

I'll be back to post mine....

The two extreme metal albums that I know will end up in my top 10 of EVERY kind of metal this year are Kalmah-Swampsong and Nightrage-Sweet Vengeance. I'm waiting on the new Dimmu Borgir to come in the mail ( Century Media is taking their sweet time sending this one...What happened to their usual fast shipping!) and I'm sure that will be somewhere in there also.

Triumphant Apostle said:
The two extreme metal albums that I know will end up in my top 10 of EVERY kind of metal this year are Kalmah-Swampsong and Nightrage-Sweet Vengeance.
You rate them that highly??? I thought the Kalmah had one good song, "Heroes To Us", and the Nightrage was pretty boring, IMO. To each their own, anyway.

I can't be bothered to really think about my top 10 but my favourites are 'Enslaved - Below The Lights', 'Hate - Awakening of The Liar' and 'Esqarial - Inheritance'. I'm not so sure what year the Esqarial was released, but I think it was 2003. Behemoth's ZKC would definitely at No.1 if it was released in 2003 in Europe.

extol- synergy was by far on of the best releases of the year. not my favorite extol cd, but still good
~gR~

I'm relatively new to metal, and trying to get most of the older releases, but I've got a couple done in 2003.

Old Man's Child - Sacrifice of Vengeance. Kickass record, great keyboard and guitar sound, very memorable.
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II. What can I say? Melodic, fast, epic, groovy, cool. If you haven't heard it, there's always an ad on the right of the forums for it...

Iron Maiden's Dance of Death doesn't count as extreme metal, but it rocks. They're going to come to the US next year, and I'll hijack a car or bribe someone to get there if they play anywhere in Florida.

the only great thing about nightrage is tomas, and he isnt anywhere near as good as he was when he was in ATG or Ceremonial Oath

10. Blind Guardian - Live
09. Bathory - Nordland II
08. Amorphis - Far From the Sun
07. King Diamond - The Puppet Master
06. Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression
05. Zyklon - Aeon
04. Graveland - The Fire of Awakening
03. Vital Remains - Dechristianize
02. Lumsk - Åsmund Fregdegjævar
01. Ásmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & Sø

I have been wanting to download that new khanate record. Im sure that would top my list.

But as of present, and of things I have actually heard, the new Enslaved was wonderful, as was the quirky weirdness of Ephel Duath. I love the new Grimfist cd- just straight ahead well done blacked death thrash. The new Soleflad was quite good. I guess thats all for now on the extreme end, and I dont even think most of these bands are all that extreme.

1. Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn
2. Shai Hulud - That Within Blood Ill Tempered
3. Dew Scented - Impact
4. Avulsed - Yearning For The Grotesque
5. Children Of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathtroll
6. Spawn Of Possession - Cabinet
7. Dying Fetus - Stop At Nothing
8. Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion
9. Hatebreed - The Rise Of Brutality
10. Skinless - From Sacrifice To Survival

Of honorable mention:
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Opeth - Damnation
Extol - Synergy
Destruction - Metal Discharge
Morbid Angel - Heretic

Disappointing:
Entombed - Inferno
DarkThrone - Hate Them

my faves of 2k3:
In Flames - Trigger EP
Children of Bodom - HCDR
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon

Disappointments:
Hatebreed - The Rise of Brutality
Stone Sour - Stone Sour
Static-X - Shadow Zone
Cradle of Filth - Damnation and A Day (i think it was 2003)

Hmmmm... best albums off the top of my head and in no particular order.

Vital Remains - Dechristianize
EoS - Crimson II
Grimfist - Ghouls of Grandeur
Withered Earth - Of Which They Bleed
Einherjer - Blot
Enslaved - Below the Lights
The Prophecy - Ashes

Eh, that's good enough for now.

As for the best releases I would say The Haunted - One Kill Wonder, Opeth - Damnation, Nevermore - Enemies of Reality, Sinner - There Will Be Execution and Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll.
Dimmu Borgir and Iron Maiden are the dissapointments of the year imo.

here is what i submitted to the metal maniacs top 10:

1: extol- synergy
2: lamb of god- as the palaces burn
3: vital remains- dechristianize
4: morbid angel- heretic
5: spawn of possesion- cabinet
6: nevermore- enemies of reality
7: severed savior- brutality is law
8: enslaved- below the lights
9: macabre- murder metal
10: in shadow- visions beyond the shadow www.mp3.com/in_shadow (shameless plug :D )
~gR~