3 things i hate about death metal drumming

I call bullshit on this entire video because there is no right or wrong way to approach any instrument.
If I want to listen to drummers who all sound the same, I'll check out the modern death metal scene full of polished production and everyone doing the same blasts and grinds with no originality, innovation or personality allowed to come through in their music.

Some of the worst drummers and musicians I've ever heard have got some brilliant ideas and personalities in their playing, and that's something that should be followed up rather than turning your playing into a copy of everyone else so that you can say you're doing that blast "correctly."
Has this guy never listened to Immolation? The drumming on failures for gods is so spastic, uncontrolled, uninhibited and all over the place, and by this guy's ideals "wrong" or "incorrect" but it has soul and character.

he's not totally serious, gareth.
Though I agree with what you said.

I call bullshit on this entire video because there is no right or wrong way to approach any instrument.
If I want to listen to drummers who all sound the same, I'll check out the modern death metal scene full of polished production and everyone doing the same blasts and grinds with no originality, innovation or personality allowed to come through in their music.

Some of the worst drummers and musicians I've ever heard have got some brilliant ideas and personalities in their playing, and that's something that should be followed up rather than turning your playing into a copy of everyone else so that you can say you're doing that blast "correctly."
Has this guy never listened to Immolation? The drumming on failures for gods is so spastic, uncontrolled, uninhibited and all over the place, and by this guy's ideals "wrong" or "incorrect" but it has soul and character.

+1000 :Smokin:
I'll take early Carcass with sloppy chaotic blasts instead of modern quantized perfect drumming anyday. But I guess metal is a technique competition nowadays :erk:

To me, a drummer's quality really shines through his fills, ability to improvise and finding the groove. You should be able to properly execute what you're playing, but mechanical, robot-like perfection, might actually suck life and therefore soul out of a performance. A great drummer is able to speed up or slow down according to the flow and energy of the song and the very moment, without turning the whole band into an untight mess.

That's why I love Dave Lombardo's drumming so much. Technically, he's so far away from the tech-metal drum elite nowadays, but he plays so tasty and song-serviceable with his Mitch Mitchell-esque fills and punk beats on steroids. Kerry King once said that Lombardo is like a freight train that's always on the edge of getting off the rails... but without actually going off.

I thought it was outright hilarious when Marco Minnemann used to fill in for Necrophagist and some people complained about his jazzy solo, absolutely ignorant to what a genius of a drummer they're listening to.

+1000 :Smokin:
I'll take early Carcass with sloppy chaotic blasts instead of modern quantized perfect drumming anyday. But I guess metal is a technique competition nowadays :erk:
Yep and too much so .
They might as well set their kits up on the bullet train so their blasts are even faster .

I know it's a joke, no worries. Sorry if it came out sounding otherwise.

I don't think it's a direct stab at ALL death metal drummers and that they should ALL do what he is implying. I think it is more a kind of video aimed at drummers who take a lot of shortcuts in their playing and try to pass off what they do as good drumming when they don't have much control.

That's how I took it anyway, because as I said, my drummer does all the things he is talking about. My drummer's blasts are out of time and he has no intensity/knowledge of playing 'TO' the music at all. I honestly believe he thinks we (the rest of the band) don't know any better, but the truth is we all do because we are interested in the music quite a lot and we pay attention to everything - not just guitars.

Maybe I took it that way because I hate my drummer and can't wait to kick him out of the band. :lol:

1 thing I fucking love about death metal drumming: Nils Mutherfucking Fjellström

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RuG_8ygNpI

Good god you love that guy too?
His drumming on Black Reign is one of the best I heard in the last 10 years
Very unique and great style, sadly he isn't anymore in Sanctification (but Arttu from Souldrainer plays for Sancti now, great drummer too)

I gotta buy you a beer bro