400 $$ on a cab !!

Gaspard

Aug 1, 2007
Paris, FRANCE
All right, I finally was able to buy a Laney gh50l, wich I thaught about, compared and prefered. Now I have about 400-450(maybe500) to spend on a used (or not) cab. I need at least a 2x12 or even a 4x12 to be louder than drums. I want to use it for recording too. I was thinking maybe a mesa 2x12, orange2x12 off ebay. Or a used marshall 4x12.

What would you do ?
thanks

You don't really need a 4x12 to compete with Drums. I think either the Mesa or Orange 2x12 would be a perfect match. Personally I'd avoid the Marshall cab just because I think the Laney would sound too bright through it, as its slightly raw in the upper frequencies to begin with. Nice choice btw, I've always wanted to try a GH50L out.

where you are i'd probably go for a used orange cab, i'm guessing a mesa cab over there would cost more than it's worth

only you can decide whether you'd need a 2x12 or 4x12 tho, personally i highly prefer a 4x12 when playing with a drummer...i've used 2x12's that worked ok, but a 4x12 sounds fuller to me and lets me keep my actual amp volume down a little and still be able to move around and hear myself well

but this is definitely about quality over quantity...i'd take a higher quality 2x12 over a cheaper 4x12 anyday, so if you can afford a nice 4x12 like an orange or something then go for it

Orange or Marshall IMO. Lots of presence and clarity with plenty of punch. You can't go wrong with the Mesa either! They're all good choices :)

Go Mesa simply because you can get a vertical 2x12, which will be 4 billion times more convenient and useful in a live environment cuz you'll be able to hear it better. Aren't you in school in the US now/soon dude? Cuz they're all over ebay here for super cheap

Can't you make any 2x12 vertical? By doing the...what's that method called...fuckin....oh yeah, tilt it on it's side :lol:

Or is there some design differences that make a vertical 2x12 a "true" vertical cabinet...whatever that means.

Don't take that the wrong way either Marcus, I'm high right now and bored at work. :)

~006

Hahaha, no worries dude, I hear ya - the main differences are vertical 2x12's having a slanted baffle and being wider so they're more stable and a better base for an amp head (and not looking as ridiculous with huge overhangs :lol: ). Notice the Mesa vert. 2x12 is ~24" wide, whereas if you were to put a Mesa horizontal 2x12 on its side, it'd only be 17.5" wide.

OH NO, THANK GOD I AM NOT IN FRANCE ANYMORE. For 400 dollars, we would be discussing tortex picks over clayton !

I am in the NY area (white plains). And Mesa 2x12's are all over the internet, BUT, I just openned my ebay acount and I have 0% feedback... Is it save to ship a 2x12 cab ?
I think im going to go with the mesa.

Yeah just get the Mesa dude, you will NOT be disappointed in the least bit. I promise.

~006

Of course, a 2x12 will never sound as good as a 4x12 when recorded IMO...it'll be good, damn good perhaps, but still, there's always that difference...

But then again, the importance of having a smaller, lighter cab for playing live CANNOT be overstated. That's why I have a (old, cheap, but good) 2x12 and a 4x12! :heh:

Oh, I have a question. The stock Laney footswitch for the gh50l does'nt have an LED. But I really need a footswitch with LED to know what chanel is on. Can any LED one button switch work with the Laney ?

if you're in the US now than a mesa cab is definitely worth checking into

shipping costs a ton tho, do e bay searches and list the items by the nearest distance first...sometimes you can score a nice deal if you find one local to you, you can just pay cash and pick it up in person; check craiglist as well

vertical 2x12's are cool, as long as your amp will fit on one...some amps (like my cobra which is 28" across) won't even fit on the 24" vertical 2x12 from mesa