48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
^ hahahaha, well said.

I dunno, I don't wanna stir shit up but over here in Canada and pretty much everywhere in the rest of the world people seem to widely agree on 288.

Can't believe this thread isn't done with though.

I think like this?

= 48/2(9+3)
= 48/(2x9 + 2x3)
= 48/18 + 6
= 2.7 + 6
= 8.7

Apparently in the US you can really do whatever the fuck you want in maths, it's more interpretive like English.

I'm really hoping that he isn't justifying that with the distributive property... that's not how anything has *ever* worked.

Jeff

I'm really hoping that he isn't justifying that with the distributive property... that's not how anything has *ever* worked.

Jeff

oh god no, I was jsut pointing out that interpreting shit incorrectly can really fuck shit up. That way is seriously fucked because you don't treat the products of distribution correctly, meaning, while the 8.7 is plausible, its nowhere near correct.

And the the Europeans that have made mention its only us US guys that are getting 2 and how that is even a possibility...who where the ones to build vacuum tubes, AM and FM radios, atomic bomb, nuclear energy, broadcast communications including TV and Cell phones, the first to send man to the moon, the first digital computers, personal computers including mac...yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with our math.

AND ITS NOT FUCKING MATHS, ITS MATH!!! JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK!!!

And the the Europeans that have made mention its only us US guys that are getting 2 and how that is even a possibility...who where the ones to build vacuum tubes, AM and FM radios, atomic bomb, nuclear energy, broadcast communications including TV and Cell phones, the first to send man to the moon, the first digital computers, personal computers including mac...yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with our math.

Are you serious? :lol: So funny you pulled this ,, but we made everything" card off after you just realized how wrong you were :loco:

Well, took you long enough, huh?

I think most inventions you mentioned were invented by "Americans" who would vote 288...

Mathematics... :heh:
Where is the facepalm emote when i need it ?

Oh and how did I miss that? You do realise there is something called British English and US English. Digging abit further and you might find that British English actually existed before US English! Fascinating things you can find out when you look beyond your own nose from time to time.

edit: alright, I'll stop being aggresive here, you are going to do the ,,aww I was just trolling you guyz" move soon anyway. Just stop making fool of yourself for now.

There's slightly more than that going on with the 'math'/'maths' distinction... it's not just US against British. If you're going to be aggressive, be a little better informed.

oh god no, I was jsut pointing out that interpreting shit incorrectly can really fuck shit up. That way is seriously fucked because you don't treat the products of distribution correctly, meaning, while the 8.7 is plausible, its nowhere near correct.

In that case, a slightly less 'clearly pulling things out of thin air' answer would be breaking 48 up as 4*8/2(9+3).

Jeff

There's slightly more than that going on with the 'math'/'maths' distinction... it's not just US against British. If you're going to be aggressive, be a little better informed.

Jeff

Fair enough, once I'll find some legit, more detailed info on that one I will admit my error(like real men should do, and obviously some here still can't).

So far I know that it's like ,,realise" vs ,,realize" thing. One used on the different continent than the other.

The tube was invented by a Brit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ambrose_Fleming

The radio wasn't 'invented' by any one person, but had contributions from all over the world. Thomas Edison, an American, was a significant contributor, but Europeans played a more dominant role in the creation (especially Marconi and Tesla [Who, while living in America, was educated in Europe])

The atomic bomb was a collaboration between the UK, Canada, and the USA.

The first nuclear energy power plant was made in the USA... by French and Hungarian scientists.

The first to send man to the Moon, yes, but the Russians were the first to actually get to space.

The first digital computers were developed in parallel in Britain, Germany, and the United States. The US did produce the first personal computers and definitely pioneered the technology we see today.

But you know what?

The problem isn't "what have we done in the past?" The problem is "What are we going to do in the future?" Our math and science education are fucking garbage compared to other first world countries. The US is losing its technological edge, if we haven't already lost it. We certainly don't have a manufacturing capacity in any significant sense (aside from military lol)

Not to mention the hordes of scientifically illiterate morons who want the Bible taught instead of evolution... And the fact that we can't seem to manage a balanced budget, or see why a scheme like Social Security isn't sustainable, or are ignorant to the very real science of climate change...

The US is in dire need of better math and science education. Our students are taught to take tests, not to think, and this is a fatal error...

Fair enough, once I'll find some legit, more detailed info on that one I will admit my error(like real men should do, and obviously some here still can't).

So far I know that it's like ,,realise" vs ,,realize" thing. One used on the different continent than the other.

It goes back to the Bourbaki movement - they were trying to unify the subject from the foudnations up, and at some point this attempt at unification led to some sticking to the singular. It's not like the usual run of things that work differently on the other side of the pond.

Jeff

Vacuum tubes: The 19th century saw increasing research with evacuated tubes, such as the Geissler and Crookes tubes. Famous scientists who experimented with such tubes included Thomas Edison (American), Eugen Goldstein (German), Nikola Tesla (Austrian), and Johann Wilhelm Hittorf (German) among many others.

Radio: James Clerk Maxwell (Scottish) showed mathematically that electromagnetic waves could propagate through free space. Heinrich Rudolf Hertz (German) and many others demonstrated, on a laboratory scale, radio wave propagation. Transmission and radiation of radio frequency energy was a feature exhibited in the experiments by Nikola Tesla (Austrian) which he proposed might be used for the telecommunication of information.

Atom bomb: The first fission weapons, also known as "Big Jims" were developed jointly by the United States, Britain and Canada during World War II in what was called the Manhattan Project to counter the assumed Nazi German atomic bomb project.

TV: The beginnings of mechanical television can be traced back to the discovery of the photoconductivity of the element selenium by Willoughby Smith (English) in 1873, the invention of a scanning disk by Paul Gottlieb Nipkow (German) in 1884 and John Logie Baird's (Scottish) demonstration of televised moving images in 1926.

Cell phones: The technological development that distinguished the First Generation mobile phones from the previous generation was the use of multiple cell sites, and the ability to transfer calls from one site to the next as the user travelled between cells during a conversation. The first commercially automated cellular network (the 1G generation) was launched in Japan by NTT in 1979. The initial launch network covered the full metropolitan area of Tokyo's over 20 million inhabitants with a cellular network of 23 base stations. Within five years, the NTT network had been expanded to cover the whole population of Japan and became the first nation-wide 1G network.
Analog Motorola DynaTAC 8000X Advanced Mobile Phone System mobile phone as of 1983

The next 1G network to launch was the Nordic Mobile Telephone (NMT) system in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden in 1981.[15] NMT was the first mobile phone network to feature international roaming. The Swedish electrical engineer Östen Mäkitalo started work on this vision in 1966, and is considered to be the father of the NMT system, and by some the father of the cellular phone itself.[16][17] The NMT installations were based on the Ericsson AXE digital exchange nodes.

Several other countries also launched 1G networks in the early 1980s including the UK, Mexico and Canada.

First to send a man to the moon: Personally I still believe Apollo 11 moon walk is a hoax done in a studio to win the Space Race. Also I think there is some other reason why they haven't conducted moonwalks after the 1972. My guess is that moon is toxic or otherwise dangerous to people somehow. But Yuri Gagarin (Soviet Union) was the first human being to journey into outer space, when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on April 12, 1961.

First computers: Several analog computers were constructed in ancient and medieval times to perform astronomical calculations. These include the Antikythera mechanism and the astrolabe from ancient Greece (c. 150–100 BC) :kickass:

In 1801, Joseph-Marie Jacquard (France) developed a loom in which the pattern being woven was controlled by punched cards. The series of cards could be changed without changing the mechanical design of the loom. This was a landmark achievement in programmability. His machine was an improvement over similar weaving looms. Punch cards were preceded by punch bands, as in the machine proposed by Basile Bouchon. These bands would inspire information recording for automatic pianos and more recently NC machine-tools.

In 1833, Charles Babbage (English) moved on from developing his difference engine (for navigational calculations) to a general purpose design, the Analytical Engine, which drew directly on Jacquard's punched cards for its program storage.[22] In 1835, Babbage described his analytical engine. It was a general-purpose programmable computer, employing punch cards for input and a steam engine for power, using the positions of gears and shafts to represent numbers.

A machine based on Babbage's difference engine was built in 1843 by Per Georg Scheutz (Swedish) and his son Edward. An improved Scheutzian calculation engine was sold to the British government and a later model was sold to the American government and these were used successfully in the production of logarithmic tables.

By the 20th century, earlier mechanical calculators, cash registers, accounting machines, and so on were redesigned to use electric motors, with gear position as the representation for the state of a variable. The word "computer" was a job title assigned to people who used these calculators to perform mathematical calculations. By the 1920s Lewis Fry Richardson's (English) interest in weather prediction led him to propose human computers and numerical analysis to model the weather; to this day, the most powerful computers on Earth are needed to adequately model its weather using the Navier-Stokes equations.

Alan Turing's (English) 1936 paper[41] proved enormously influential in computing and computer science in two ways. Its main purpose was to prove that there were problems (namely the halting problem) that could not be solved by any sequential process. In doing so, Turing provided a definition of a universal computer which executes a program stored on tape. This construct came to be called a Turing machine.

ENIAC (play /ˈɛni.æk/; Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer)[1][2] was the first general-purpose electronic computer. It was a Turing-complete digital computer capable of being reprogrammed to solve a full range of computing problems.[3]

ENIAC was designed to calculate artillery firing tables for the United States Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory.

AM Radio: AM radio began with the first, experimental broadcast on Christmas Eve of 1906 by Canadian experimenter Reginald Fessenden, and was used for small-scale voice and music broadcasts up until World War I.

I give the FM radio to you guys tho :) But Netherlands did have the first radiostation :)

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png