48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
Vacuum tubes: The 19th century saw increasing research with evacuated tubes, such as the Geissler and Crookes tubes. Famous scientists who experimented with such tubes included Thomas Edison (American), Eugen Goldstein (German), Nikola Tesla (Austrian), and Johann Wilhelm Hittorf (German) among many others.

Radio: James Clerk Maxwell (Scottish) showed mathematically that electromagnetic waves could propagate through free space. Heinrich Rudolf Hertz (German) and many others demonstrated, on a laboratory scale, radio wave propagation. Transmission and radiation of radio frequency energy was a feature exhibited in the experiments by Nikola Tesla (Austrian) which he proposed might be used for the telecommunication of information.

Atom bomb: The first fission weapons, also known as "Big Jims" were developed jointly by the United States, Britain and Canada during World War II in what was called the Manhattan Project to counter the assumed Nazi German atomic bomb project.

TV: The beginnings of mechanical television can be traced back to the discovery of the photoconductivity of the element selenium by Willoughby Smith (English) in 1873, the invention of a scanning disk by Paul Gottlieb Nipkow (German) in 1884 and John Logie Baird's (Scottish) demonstration of televised moving images in 1926.

Cell phones: The technological development that distinguished the First Generation mobile phones from the previous generation was the use of multiple cell sites, and the ability to transfer calls from one site to the next as the user travelled between cells during a conversation. The first commercially automated cellular network (the 1G generation) was launched in Japan by NTT in 1979. The initial launch network covered the full metropolitan area of Tokyo's over 20 million inhabitants with a cellular network of 23 base stations. Within five years, the NTT network had been expanded to cover the whole population of Japan and became the first nation-wide 1G network.
Analog Motorola DynaTAC 8000X Advanced Mobile Phone System mobile phone as of 1983

The next 1G network to launch was the Nordic Mobile Telephone (NMT) system in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden in 1981.[15] NMT was the first mobile phone network to feature international roaming. The Swedish electrical engineer Östen Mäkitalo started work on this vision in 1966, and is considered to be the father of the NMT system, and by some the father of the cellular phone itself.[16][17] The NMT installations were based on the Ericsson AXE digital exchange nodes.

Several other countries also launched 1G networks in the early 1980s including the UK, Mexico and Canada.

First to send a man to the moon: Personally I still believe Apollo 11 moon walk is a hoax done in a studio to win the Space Race. Also I think there is some other reason why they haven't conducted moonwalks after the 1972. My guess is that moon is toxic or otherwise dangerous to people somehow. But Yuri Gagarin (Soviet Union) was the first human being to journey into outer space, when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on April 12, 1961.

First computers: Several analog computers were constructed in ancient and medieval times to perform astronomical calculations. These include the Antikythera mechanism and the astrolabe from ancient Greece (c. 150–100 BC) :kickass:

In 1801, Joseph-Marie Jacquard (France) developed a loom in which the pattern being woven was controlled by punched cards. The series of cards could be changed without changing the mechanical design of the loom. This was a landmark achievement in programmability. His machine was an improvement over similar weaving looms. Punch cards were preceded by punch bands, as in the machine proposed by Basile Bouchon. These bands would inspire information recording for automatic pianos and more recently NC machine-tools.

In 1833, Charles Babbage (English) moved on from developing his difference engine (for navigational calculations) to a general purpose design, the Analytical Engine, which drew directly on Jacquard's punched cards for its program storage.[22] In 1835, Babbage described his analytical engine. It was a general-purpose programmable computer, employing punch cards for input and a steam engine for power, using the positions of gears and shafts to represent numbers.

A machine based on Babbage's difference engine was built in 1843 by Per Georg Scheutz (Swedish) and his son Edward. An improved Scheutzian calculation engine was sold to the British government and a later model was sold to the American government and these were used successfully in the production of logarithmic tables.

By the 20th century, earlier mechanical calculators, cash registers, accounting machines, and so on were redesigned to use electric motors, with gear position as the representation for the state of a variable. The word "computer" was a job title assigned to people who used these calculators to perform mathematical calculations. By the 1920s Lewis Fry Richardson's (English) interest in weather prediction led him to propose human computers and numerical analysis to model the weather; to this day, the most powerful computers on Earth are needed to adequately model its weather using the Navier-Stokes equations.

Alan Turing's (English) 1936 paper[41] proved enormously influential in computing and computer science in two ways. Its main purpose was to prove that there were problems (namely the halting problem) that could not be solved by any sequential process. In doing so, Turing provided a definition of a universal computer which executes a program stored on tape. This construct came to be called a Turing machine.

ENIAC (play /ˈɛni.æk/; Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer)[1][2] was the first general-purpose electronic computer. It was a Turing-complete digital computer capable of being reprogrammed to solve a full range of computing problems.[3]

ENIAC was designed to calculate artillery firing tables for the United States Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory.

AM Radio: AM radio began with the first, experimental broadcast on Christmas Eve of 1906 by Canadian experimenter Reginald Fessenden, and was used for small-scale voice and music broadcasts up until World War I.

I give the FM radio to you guys tho :) But Netherlands did have the first radiostation :)

There is a lot of information your missing there bub. Most of "American" inventions where either invented by US citizens, or immigrants (that gained citizenship) who spent most of their life in the US obtaining grants and university education. Yes, the EU inventors usually got excited and jumped the gun with experiments of new technology, which where in their infant stages, however within a year or so later, the US would come out with the same thing, it was a finished product that was ready for mass production. The US also patented first with most inventions during the technology war.

Names that you didn't mention that should have been mentioned, including all those considered American/Canadian inventors:

Nikola Tesla
Thomas Edison
Edwin Howard Armstrong
Lee De Forest
Alexander Graham Bell
Elisha Grey
Henry Ford

In regards to cell phones, Bell Telephone Company researched and acknowledged the idea in 1945, the computers required at the time did not exist however and even when they did, investors (including the government) did not want to invest in said computer system. Bell sold (rather gave rights to) Japan who wished to invest and brought the cellular towers and computers. The reason they never picked up here first, investors thought it was a joke similar to the invention of the wired telephone system.

And when it comes to radios (AM/FM, TV Broadcasting (UHF/VHF)) see Armstrong.

I did not bring this up to do a "US are bettar at maths", rather the US and EU have been in good competition regarding technology since the turn of the 20th century, making both parties world harder to outdo the other. With all the legally classified American patents that have been filed and recognized, it is obvious that we know our way around technology just as much as the EU guys do and the EU has done extraordinary things, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I was just pointing that concept out to the few jaded superiority complex pricks that are constantly coming out with rude remarks even when I have tried to keep this discussion fun by jokingly poking fun (hence the math/maths, I could also mention color/colour, tomayto/tamahto etc), but stating that the answer isn't always black and white.

Names that you didn't mention that should have been mentioned, including all those considered American/Canadian inventors:

Nikola Tesla
Thomas Edison
Edwin Howard Armstrong
Lee De Forest
Alexander Graham Bell
Elisha Grey
Henry Ford

Trololololooooo

TWS, it is entertaining to see EEs referring to others as 'jaded superiority complex pricks'... you've made my day and then some.

Sarcastic jackassery aside, mathematics education in the States is so mindbogglingly terrible that Anssi's list is just going to seem longer and longer in the years to come... on top of that, the gifted students that we want to send to graduate schools are competing against the best and brightest from all over the world. I'm not joking at all when I claim that our K-12 math education may very well be *worse than nothing*.

Jeff

Excellent sig addition Midget :lol:

I am glad you like it. Mel Gibson's beaver hand puppet speaks the truth.

To Jbroll:
Your correct. My wife brings home math tests of her college freshmen for me to grade sometimes. It is jaw dropping how bad many of them are. Literally messing up things they should have learned before finishing grade school.

I am just peaking from experience here, but, while I do agree the education around here needs a massive overhaul, it is a lesser of two evils. What I noticed was more of the fact that kids in High school didn't give a shit about education, it was more of a "When are we ever going to use this in the real world" and just learned enough to pass tests and then would delete everything they learned. Of course its the fault of the school system for not having fun extracurricular job based classes (I know my school has a lot but started cutting them not because they weren't full because they were, the school just didn't want to spend money on it so the district could give themselves raises and build a new multi million dollar football stadium) and the core classes are not giving real world examples. The teachers teach well enough (not the best) to get it through to the students, its the general students lack of enthusiasm that is the larger issue. The lack of enthusiasm is really a split between bad parenting and bad education system, not necessary the quality of the education.

The education is abysmal, too - from the administration to the textbook mafia to the teachers to the course plans, just about everything that can go wrong has gone wrong.

Jeff

Seriously, we've done more complicated stuff than sending a man to the moon since then. It's not "that" difficult thinking of what we are achieving now. Unless one thinks landing science stuff on an asteroid, building/maintenancing the ISS, or building the large hadron collider are hoaxes too.

I stopped watching the "mythbusters" videos after 3 or 4 demonstration cause they are too amateurish. I can see it's a fun documentary but it's not with that that one can prove the photographs are wrong etc. They are drawing too straight conclusions. As if someone filming an indoor scene would be dumb enough to have 2 soures of light. As if comparing a footprint supposedly from the moon to one made quickly with random fine sand on earth would prove something (the sand is not the same, the gravity is really not the same, etc. Also they are saying the footprint on the dry sand sucks, whereas you clearly see there is one, so they are really not being objective at all). As if comparing 2 pictures to test the actual effect of the moon albedo would just require looking at the two pictures who have nothing in comparision in term of contrast would prove anything (they are even not talking about at which hour was taken the picture, then finding acurate celestian datas, and recreate the good light luminosity that would be equivalent etc).

It's entertaining, though.

EDIT : just finally seeing part 3 where they tested leaving a footpring under vaccuum, as well as the flag stuff etc. I wasn't aware they were also trying to bust the busters.

I think the moon walk was a hoax as well... why else have we not done it since?!? I also believe that the drastic jump in technology from the early 1900's to now was due to us learning more about the advanced technology from alien spacecrafts we've acquired. :lol:

I think the moon walk was a hoax as well... why else have we not done it since?!? I also believe that the drastic jump in technology from the early 1900's to now was due to us learning more about the advanced technology from alien spacecrafts we've acquired. :lol:

We have done it since. Five times.

Goddamn...