48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
Y'know, there are people who think the contrails (the traces planes leave behind them in certain pressure/temperature/moisture conditions we're still not 100% sure to understand totally but mostly appear below a certain temperature and a certain height) are chemtrails, id est : chemical epandation. I've been treated as conspirationist a few times already. they say our patterns are more efficient ways to epand chemicals on a country (it's actually just holding patterns or beacons that mark air routes). And when you try to explain them, they say it's bullshit and you are a liar and you should be ashamed cause you know you are lying and they know it :lol:. There are just people you can't save. I don't know, they're bored in their life, they need a little excitement.

I was having fun reading this hahaa and I tried the same test of TI calculator earlier model (TI-83) and it says it's 288 :D so the TI-85 is the one it's wrong ^^ and as I learned in maths 48/2(9+3) must be written in a paper this way
-- · (9+3)

ALWAYS.

on the paper u write fractions vertically not horitzontally, so to specify that you want to multiply that (9+3) with 2 you have to use parentheses YES or YES

just wanted to participate on this :p i'm sure that is all clear months ago hihi

Well, I've been out of school for 10 years now, but I'm pretty sure I recall that you ALWAYS work out the numbers in parenthesis before anything else. 48/24 = 2.

Please, why is this even still opened?...

48/2(9+3)
= 48/2(12) WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO SAYING 48/2*12
= 24*12
= 288

-_-

2 61 51.69%

Seriously? This is basic maths.

^^^ You say it's basic maths, and though the actual answer may be 288, I also interpret it to be 2. Just given the way it's written makes it seem that everything after the / is under the division which is why it would make sense. And unless it IS written out correctly, it's a matter of interpretation of HOW it's written, not if you can do basic mathematics or not. That's all :) The 288 makes perfect sense, it's just not how I'd write it that's all :)

^^^ You say it's basic maths, and though the actual answer may be 288, I also interpret it to be 2. Just given the way it's written makes it seem that everything after the / is under the division which is why it would make sense. And unless it IS written out correctly, it's a matter of interpretation of HOW it's written, not if you can do basic mathematics or not. That's all :) The 288 makes perfect sense, it's just not how I'd write it that's all :)

How the hell can you interpret it differently? If the part after the "/" was all under the division, it would have been written like this:

_______

2(9+3)

Or even

48/[2(9+3]

But it is not. It's written from left to right with a single parenthesis (or bracket for you Europeans) , so read it from left to right and use PEDMAS (BEDMAS, whatever).

I'm sorry, but from all the maths I have done in my life, not a single time have I encountered a teacher, or even a student for that matter, that would not do a simple equation like this one correctly.

The way it is written follows the PEDMAS convention. The answer is then 288, following the equation I have written in my previous post.

Please, this is just like those stupid facebook things about 1+1+1+1+1(0) where people answer 0 because "anything multiplied by zero equals zero".

*By the way, I didn't mean to sound like an ass or anything. I'm just arguing by using the most logical and rational explanations (and I'm a hard-headed son of a bitch ;) ).

Please let it die already, okay? Nobody is incorrect here, as long as they answered 2 or 288; X/Y*Z is 2 for Americans and 288 for the rest of the world because of the way order of calculation is/was taught at school (P-E-D-M-A-S vs P-E-MD-AS). The main blame is poor math notation, because it is not clear if the originator if the formula mean't it to be (X/Y)*Z or X/(Y*Z).

Please let it die already, okay? Nobody is incorrect here, as long as they answered 2 or 288; X/Y*Z is 2 for Americans and 288 for the rest of the world because of the way order of calculation is/was taught at school (P-E-D-M-A-S vs P-E-MD-AS). The main blame is poor math notation, because it is not clear if the originator if the formula mean't it to be (X/Y)*Z or X/(Y*Z).

P-E-DM-AS or P-E-MD-AS are fine, P-E-D-M-A-S is wrong.

P-E-DM-AS or P-E-MD-AS are fine, P-E-D-M-A-S is wrong.

with PEMDAS it really doesn't matter which orders the pairs are in. For example you could do the division first and multiplication second. You will always get to the same answer.

The problem with this equation or the way it was written out, there is 4 ways to do PEMDAS, 3 out of times the answer is 288, 1 out of 4 times the answer is 2 only if you do multiplication first forgetting order of precedence, if you where to follow OoP, the answer would again be 288.