$50 D.I.Y. Reamp box

I have built a few of these. The ground is essentially the chassis. I don't remember exactly which one I isolated, but it was one of the jacks. I think one I did the TRS INPUT. Another I did the output.

You just have to be able to break that potential groundloop. I just used a plastic jack instead of a metal one. No biggie.

The XLR will also have a grounding lug as well, so they are typically already isolated. The pots and such, meh, didn't bother and it works fine.

Personally I do like the 10k:10k transformer a little better even though I run the volume down. But it allows me to push the input a little harder.

Just build it, they are easy and sound great.

Hi, if anybody can help - I bought this transformer. (which would be a good alternative for people in europe and without much time) But it doesnt have the same numbering as the edcor transformer so Im having a tough time following the schematic. Anybody any ideas? Instead of 1234 like the edcor, it has 3 pins either side, numbering 1-5 top and bottom. Really confused. Any help really appreciated.

aortizjr! Thanks for the advice and encouraging words. The mouser parts should arrive tomorrow but the transformer is a 4-5 week wait, so it will be a while until I can actually build this thing. Not sure what you mean by "

Personally I do like the 10k:10k transformer a little better even though I run the volume down. But it allows me to push the input a little harder."

I haven't seen the 10k: 10k: tranny mentioned before ( or I missed it) and don't exactly know what you mean by "run the volume down" By " push the input a little harder" is that the input to the remap or the guitar amp? Or is that one and the same?

Thanks again........Mark

Moonpie. did you try looking at the datasheet on this page for the hi impedence
10K: 10K

http://www.oep.co.uk/products_listing.php?cat=6&subcat=22&subsubcat=48

and comparing it to the one on this page:

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/148-wsm10k-10k.aspx

and compare it to the NYDave preamp schematic and retard version on this page:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/459195-50-d-i-y-reamp-box.html

Try printing them all out and see if you can figure out the puzzle.

Pin 3 (Screens) and Pin 7 (Core) on the OEP (Oxford Electrical Products) might correspond to ones on the edcor (maybe pins 2 and 6) , Looks like OEP Pins 10 and 6 could be the two outputs and then Pins 1 and 5 could be the inputs.

Obviously I'm a noobee with schematics too; but you get the idea. Maybe go to another transformer company website in the UK and see if there is a common terminology to help you figure out the rather cryptic sceme on the OEP drawing.
Good Luck. You can do it!

aortizjr! Thanks for the advice and encouraging words. The mouser parts should arrive tomorrow but the transformer is a 4-5 week wait, so it will be a while until I can actually build this thing. Not sure what you mean by "

Personally I do like the 10k:10k transformer a little better even though I run the volume down. But it allows me to push the input a little harder."

I haven't seen the 10k: 10k: tranny mentioned before ( or I missed it) and don't exactly know what you mean by "run the volume down" By " push the input a little harder" is that the input to the remap or the guitar amp? Or is that one and the same?

Thanks again........Mark

There was another thread where this was discussed. If you refer to this schematic:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as092.pdf

The JT-11P-1 is a 10k:10k transformer. In the other thread I think Wolfman and I got into voltages and such and concluded that a 1:1 transformer was better than 1:5 (10k:600). The 1:5 steps down the voltage, so there are often complaints about the output being low or the gain having to be increased.

Increasing the gain on an amp can change the tone. So you want the proper amount of signal. With the 1:1 transformer, the output is too much, so you adjust the volume level on the reamp box to compensate. But more output can push the front end of the amp like a booster box as well.

From messing with these (including using DI's backwards and such), don't sweat it too much. They all sound fine. None of them sound exactly like the original signal, everything colors the signal some. Anyway it is an easy build, so take your time and troubleshoot as issues come up. It is fun and rewarding and you will have a great tool.

So one year later, and after realizing that the lack of gain was my interface not setup correctly, I got it working awesome! New problem though, jesus this thing is SO noisy. Grounding problem I'm guessing? I have it in a plastic rackmount case now if that makes a difference. I'll post pics if neccesary!

EDIT: It's not my power as I've tested it with the interface straight to the amp, no noise.

Allan: Check any gain stages, and all your grounds. Did you use carbon, or metal film resistors? Metal film has lower noise.

John: Do you have a phase switch?

You could be having phase problems. As, when you switch the phase on a humbucking pickup, it will make it sound thinner. Naturally, the same thing happens with phase in anything (as you well know, being an audio engineer and having worked with microphones). You may need to install/use a phase inversion of some sort in your DI. Mind you, this is just me pulling info out of my head, I've never experienced this with a DI signal.