$50 D.I.Y. Reamp box

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
The extra money I saved snagging a killer deal on the Krank Rev Jr is going to boring stuff like bills and groceries, so my fundage for a reamp box is really fucking low. I developed an addiction to reamping with my Pod though, and I'd like a reamp box so I can continue to reamp with my Krank. I stumbled across this article and figured $50 for a DIY reamp box wouldn't be too bad.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/314.html

What do you guys think?

The extra money I saved snagging a killer deal on the Krank Rev Jr is going to boring stuff like bills and groceries, so my fundage for a reamp box is really fucking low. I developed an addiction to reamping with my Pod though, and I'd like a reamp box so I can continue to reamp with my Krank. I stumbled across this article and figured $50 for a DIY reamp box wouldn't be too bad.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/314.html

What do you guys think?

That's the basic idea, but I would use a different transformer like in the NY Dave reamp box.... You don't need to go out and buy a $100 jensen, but I think Lundhal or someone makes a decent cheap one that would keep you in the $30 range. Like maybe try buying one of those $30 DI boxes, and rewire it to be a reamp box....

Here is the NY Dave reamp box.... Back when it was popular to build, people said it was just as good as anything on the market....

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

FYI, I think there was something amiss in the wiring in that diagram, just follow the schem and you should be good...

And you don't need the phase switch, but could come in handy...

Woa thanks man! I just happen to have a behringer DI box that I might be able to convert. Just gotta get to work deciphering those hieroglyphics (schematics) haha.

Edit: Oh cool, I see a retard version is included, so I'm in luck!

Woa thanks man! I just happen to have a behringer DI box that I might be able to convert. Just gotta get to work deciphering those hieroglyphics (schematics) haha.

Edit: Oh cool, I see a retard version is included, so I'm in luck!

Yeah, but i think the retard version has a problem with the wiring... Just make sure you compare it to the schem...

Nevermind, from what I see it looks good

I'm trying to look up all the parts on mouser. Do the jacks and everything come with mounting screws or do I have to find those elsewhere? I'm having a hard time locating any.

I ordered all the parts to make the NYDave Reamp box, but my plan is to use a balanced 1/4" input instead of the xlr input. Is this gonna fuck things up? I already ordered all the parts before realizing that my modification may cause problems, so hopefully I don't neeed to order a different resistor or something.

I ordered all the parts to make the NYDave Reamp box, but my plan is to use a balanced 1/4" input instead of the xlr input. Is this gonna fuck things up? I already ordered all the parts before realizing that my modification may cause problems, so hopefully I don't neeed to order a different resistor or something.

nah as long as it's balanced and you wire it as you would the XLR everything will be fine...

Well if you ever make a decent conversion with the Behringer DI box, let me know 'cause I'd love to do something with mine that's just sitting here.