$50 D.I.Y. Reamp box

you should get one of those xlr jacks that have a 1/4 jack inside of them

Haha I did, but I kinda fucked up the box I got when I was trying to drill that huge hole with a hand drill haha. Ended up with an ugly oval-ish hole and couldn't mount the jack. So I just grabbed a spare TRS jack I had left over from an EMG kit and drilled another much easier 3/8" hole for it. So this is kind of plan B, haha. I don't really have any plans to ever feed it with an XLR anyway, so I'm not too bummed. The combo jack was only like $1.80 or something anyway. Unlike the plan above, I put the input on the back, instead of having everything on the front.

Well if you ever make a decent conversion with the Behringer DI box, let me know 'cause I'd love to do something with mine that's just sitting here.

I decided to get a new box and keep the behringer intact, mainly because of the way the behringer is constructed. the ends just pop off and it would more than likely be a pain to wire the transformer and get it mounted in there with such space constraints. I got the box that the NYDave recipe calls for, and its a bit bulky, and almost looks like a little trinket box but it's kinda cute(?) I guess. I painted it white and put some huge feet on it for comedic purposes. I'll post pictures when I get everything up and running. Just waiting on the transformer. Hopefully it's more than meets the eye. Sorry for that. :loco:

Hey I wanted to ask you which transformer you went with... Did you buy the Edcor? If so, good choice....

Yea I ordered the Edcor. Thats good to know! Still waiting for it. It's taking quite a while. When I called to ask about the order the guy said "they" should be going out by the beginning of next week. As I only ordered one, I'm thinking maybe they had to make a new batch of them or something. 10 bucks ain't bad!

actually i dont see a problem in building a remap box since it is only the opposite of a DI box. DI boxes are bought and not build because you have a reference with a bought one. "hey look ive got a DI box build by my own.." <- everybodies answer will be "hm... i dont know man... i'll stick to my XXX because i know that this one works and other people know that too"

but DI boxes are only a couple of wires transistors and transformers. actually no big deal, so why should a diy reamp box not as good as a bought one. right, because it's got no name on it like "radial" or your soldering skills are just bad.

Instead of building a re-amp box, I've been testing a DI ran in reverse. So far, sounds great with everyone of my 15 or so pedals. Haven't used it with any of my amps yet, as I can't turn up in the wee hours. The only thing I had to do was attenuate my send to the DI around -20.

I finished mine today...not perfect looking, but I like it.

reamp.jpg

The extra money I saved snagging a killer deal on the Krank Rev Jr is going to boring stuff like bills and groceries, so my fundage for a reamp box is really fucking low. I developed an addiction to reamping with my Pod though, and I'd like a reamp box so I can continue to reamp with my Krank. I stumbled across this article and figured $50 for a DIY reamp box wouldn't be too bad.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/314.html

What do you guys think?

Has anyone else built this one? When switching to the inductor there is barely any signal. The signal from the transformer doesn't sound very good.

Has anyone else built this one? When switching to the inductor there is barely any signal. The signal from the transformer doesn't sound very good.

That's why I posted the other schematics... The one you built never looked like it would work properly....

Finally it's done!

My friend and I built it, because fuck, it's impossible to solder with just one person. One thing I will say is that the ground flip doesn't work as intended, it seems to turn the thing off, but looking at the retard schematic, it seems like the actual schem is wrong. The impedance knob works like a high end roll off, and the volume knob also doesn't really do much. I might have actually wired that one wrong. All aside, it works great. The phase works as intended, and the sound coming out of it is exactly like a guitar. All I need to do now is make an Active DI, because my whirlwind isn't cutting it. I'd post clips, but I still suck at micing amps. Off to practice. :tickled:

Also, I didn't plan before I cut, so the knobs/switches aren't straight, haha.

Pics!

DSCF1900.jpg

DSCF1903.jpg

DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1905.jpg

You do know that when you put a low impedance output into a high impedance output you most likely will get a high frequency rolloff? It sounds like it's working correct to me

You do know that when you put a low impedance output into a high impedance output you most likely will get a high frequency rolloff? It sounds like it's working correct to me

Yeah I didn't say it was wrong. I said what was wrong is the volume knob does nothing, and that the ground lift just acts as an off switch.