$50 D.I.Y. Reamp box

Mine works great, you probably had a bad part somewhere in there. I have clips. They don't sound bad because of the box, they sound bad because it's a VERY bad amp/pickup/musician :D.

Straight
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1742937/test1.wav

Reamp
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1742937/test2.wav

What you notice immediately is that there a bit less gain in the reamped one, obviously because it is passive. Just turn the gain up a notch and you'll be fine!

something about turning up the gain to compensate doesn't sit well with me. lol. I don't mean to be a dick, but I don't think I would want to do that.

Edit: So I see someone suggested a 1:1 Transformer in the other thread... Is this really a better idea? Will I have to worry about my level if I get the 10k:150 transformer? The people's opinions seemed somewhat split on the subject.

Edit: adding a battery would make it active? Is this that hard? (excuse my electronic ignorance. All I know is what I learned for the past few hours of basic electronic tutorials. lol)

Instead of building a re-amp box, I've been testing a DI ran in reverse. So far, sounds great with everyone of my 15 or so pedals. Haven't used it with any of my amps yet, as I can't turn up in the wee hours. The only thing I had to do was attenuate my send to the DI around -20.

Hi,

Can you elaborate more on this?

I am trying to reamp some guitar tracks recorded in Reaper with a DI box, in this case, a LRBaggs ParaDI, which is an active preamp for my acoustics, and also works as a DI if I want.

If I can do this, how should I setup? I have a M-Audio Firewire 410 FYI.

If you can, please send me your response to asintoras@gmail.com

Many thanks!

Mine works great, you probably had a bad part somewhere in there. I have clips. They don't sound bad because of the box, they sound bad because it's a VERY bad amp/pickup/musician :D.

What you notice immediately is that there a bit less gain in the reamped one, obviously because it is passive. Just turn the gain up a notch and you'll be fine!

That to my ears is a big difference in gain. Anybody know why this is?

Trent

I just want to say thanks to all who posted in this thread, and Wolfeman posted in the other thread. I built the box last week. In running a quick test this week I had no difference in my reamp tone vs. direct mic tone. I will post up when I have something decent to post. I am pretty stoked, as it ended up only costing about $15.00.

I just want to say thanks to all who posted in this thread, and Wolfeman posted in the other thread. I built the box last week. In running a quick test this week I had no difference in my reamp tone vs. direct mic tone. I will post up when I have something decent to post. I am pretty stoked, as it ended up only costing about $15.00.

Glad to hear. As I've said before, any time someone has issues with this, it's usually a screwed up wiring job.

Glad to hear. As I've said before, any time someone has issues with this, it's usually a screwed up wiring job.

Yea. It is very straight forward also. I didn't do the impedence pot (as I analyzed my chain and it wasn't necessary). I am also not using a balanced input so I skipped that too. I didn't do a phase switch either, which I might add at some point.

I have a stupid question for the guys that have built this unit...
Basically, what type of pot are you using? I'm asking because, IIRC, there is a naming difference between the American system and the European one, where the identifiers are kinda inverted...

Am I right assuming that the schematic uses the American naming system? So is "A" logarithmic and "B" linear?

Thanks in advance!

I have a stupid question for the guys that have built this unit...
Basically, what type of pot are you using? I'm asking because, IIRC, there is a naming difference between the American system and the European one, where the identifiers are kinda inverted...

Am I right assuming that the schematic uses the American naming system? So is "A" logarithmic and "B" linear?

Thanks in advance!

Logarithmic pots would be listed as LOG, or A

Audio pots(linear) would be listed as LIN, or B

Unless they are really old pots, then that's another story.

I have actually built both the NYDave version and the Jensen version:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as092.pdf

And I like the Jensen one better. With the NYDave one I pretty much had to have everything cranked. With the Jensen one, you can actually use it as a boost! So you get a bit more control over the volume which is really nice.

It has to do with the step-down that happens.

Here is a discussion on it:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/466149-i-have-finally-assembled-my-diy-reamp-box-2.html

So you just need to find a 1:1 transformer. The Jensen is a 10k:10K. I built mine with an Edcor WSM 10K:10K and it sounds great! I thought Edcor has a EU distributor, but you can probably have it shipped from the US. Great transformers for incredible prices. Just give them a call, their customer service is great!

Another inexpensive option may be OEP transformers. Most others I found to be pretty expensive. The cheap ones you find in most electronics catalogs are for telephones, so the frequency response is pretty limited...but so is guitar so your YMMV.

And I like the Jensen one better. With the NYDave one I pretty much had to have everything cranked. With the Jensen one, you can actually use it as a boost! So you get a bit more control over the volume which is really nice.

I am really surpirsed to hear you say this. I built the NYdave box without the pots (no volume and no 'impedence' pot). It was too loud! I had to put in the volume pot to get it back to a normal level?!?!?!

Can this depend on what pickups are being used? I am a passive guy.

That said, I still plan on building the Jenson box as well so that I can try both.

Trent