5150 or 5150II

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
Hi all!
This is my first post and all and I'd like to say hello before I ask my question...

hello

So, I'm going to buy a new amp real soon and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a 5150 or a 5150II.
Which one do you guys recomend and why?
cheers!

Actuallly, since the search function doesn't allow numbers, or rather it won't search for them, this would be a difficult thing to search for.

A quick overview though is that the 5150 mk1 is a little warmer than the 5150II. The 5150II is generally a more sterile sounding amp. More like solid state. However, it's got a better clean channel, and 3 channels total. The mk1 has two channels, and the clean is nothing stellar, but it does get the job done. I like the 5150mk1 more, it's why I own it.

I think the general consensus is:

5150mk1 > 5150II

Then again, it should really be your call, since it's going to be YOUR amp. You should really go out and try to find both and play on them. Guitar stores will let you bring your guitar in to plug into the amps, so don't be afraid to do that. Take your main guitar, and play both amps, spend about an hour and a half a/b'ing the amps. Then buy the one you like the most. Simple.

~006

Actually, the earch function worked perfectly when I did a search for 5150 or 5150II:)
but thanks for the info anyway 006. I have browsed this forum for a good while and always found your answers to be very informing and polite!
I think I'm gonna go for the mk1 5150.
I primarily need the distortion channel since i'll probably will use my pod Xt live for cleans both in the studio and live on stage.

i've noticed alot of people on this board praise the tubescreamer in front of their 5150's. i've had some exeperience in using overdive pedals in front of tubeamps before, but never used a tubescreamer.
how would you compare the tubescreamer to the boss sd.1 or od.1 for example?

Well, as far as the TS-9 vs. the OD-1...for the most part it comes to personal preference, however, the best results have been attained by using the Ibanez TS-808/TS-9, and Maxon OD-20/OD-808/OD-820. The Maxons are essentially clones of the original TubeScreamer design.

The use of the overdrive pedals acts as a clean boost, meaning it boosts your guitar's signal just a tad before it hits the preamp, it tightens up the sound a helluva lot and makes things much clearer. I can only vouch for the TS-9 because thats the one I own and use. I haven't tried any of the other Ibanez or Maxon OD pedals. Sorry if you've already found this information already, I just have a habit of explaining things, lol.

The last time I used the search function with numbers it wouldn't return any results. So maybe they fixed it since then, my bad. :)

~006

Just to chime in...I have a 6505+ and love it. I don't think it seems more sterile than my previous 5150. I think it gets better low volume tones over the 5150/6505 for sure, if that's a concern. It seems a tab brighter as well.

And, no, to the Peavey Ultra question...I have a Peavey Ultra Plus as a backup to my 6505+ and it doesn't get 5150 tones, to me anyway. Of course, with a tube change it could get closer...It can still do metal, but it doesn't have the snarl of a 5150/6505.

I have a 6505+ as well, and it doesn't sound sterile. I love it; it's great having the freedom of two independent sets of EQ knobs for the channels. To be honest, I've never been this happy with the sound of my guitar!

The sound of quad tracking with two tracks of Crunch and two tracks of Lead is absolutely brutal! It's nice being able to press a button and compare the EQ settings of each channel.

As I said in another thread, I'm finishing up mixing a track this week and I'll post here when it's done!

I've read alot about peope changing the tubes in their 5150's, 6505 etc. to mesa tubes. What's your views on this?
And Kazrog, would you recomend the 6505+ over the standard 5150?

Kazrog said:
I have a 6505+ as well, and it doesn't sound sterile. I love it; it's great having the freedom of two independent sets of EQ knobs for the channels. To be honest, I've never been this happy with the sound of my guitar!

Agreed. My experience w/ recording both is that the differences are subtle at best..... I've had good luck w/ both. If you can't get a great sound w/ either head something else is wrong (I think I stole that line from Matt Smith).
But, if you plan to use the amps clean tone live the seperate EQ is critical IMO.

Jackal_Strain said:
I've read alot about peope changing the tubes in their 5150's, 6505 etc. to mesa tubes. What's your views on this?
And Kazrog, would you recomend the 6505+ over the standard 5150?

I am still on the fresh set of stock tubes that came with my 6505+ (Ruby or something, they have red writing on them.) I haven't tried any other tubes, but when/if I do, I'll let you know what I think!

I'd recommend the 6505+ over the 6505/5150 for anyone who thinks they might want to have seperate EQ for each channel, or for anyone that doesn't want to have to think about "do I plug into the High or Low input." Sonically I don't think the differences between the two (and I've tried both) are significant enough to even talk about.

My 6505+ came with Sovtek 5881WXT's power tubes, which have red writing, and EH 12AX7 pre tubes. But, my Ultra Plus came with Ruby power tubes, which also have red writing.

I recently switched to JJ power tubes and 9th gen Chinese 12AX7's in the preamp and it sounds killer.

Keep in mind the preamp tubes are going to make more difference in tone vs. power tubes.