6 or More

nataservant

Lord of Mediocraty
Jul 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
I saw someone talking about getting 7 string.

So I was thinking..
What are your thoughts on guitars with more than 6 strings and who are some of the pro players. :err:

I guess seven strings can be cool, according to what you expect from your guitar. It just gives you that low end, which is modern these days if you look at acts like korn.
One of the first artists to use a seven string guitar was Steve Vai, I think.
I also think about getting a cheaper one in the near fututre, for our bassplayer uses a five string bass and I definitely would like to do some deep-crunching tunes.
Maybe it is a bit confusing in the beginning, especially if you're playing songs that were written for a six string, but that - as with most things- is just a matter of time.

The guitarist in my band wants to get an 8 string eventually. I think it's fine if you can handle it. As long as it doesn't compromise your playing then it's fine. I'm looking into getting a 5 string bass to extend the range of notes I have in one hand position. THis is good for me because I'm the vocallist too, so the less I have to move my hand, the better my bass playing will be while I worry about getting the vocals right.

Some pro players who actually do something with a seven string guitar besides making low end riffs are Steve Vai and John Petrucci. The obvious ones...

i love extra stringed instruments
i recently got a 7 string bass and i love it, it has such range :D

Personally i don't like 7 string guitars, but maybe it depends what tipe of music do you play, however i've heard that the guy from Cannibal Corpse have a 7 string guitar.

i have a 7 string guitar, and its pretty nice. it allows me to do b-tuning death metal like at the gates and carcass and still be able to hit the high e that i use in some songs. its great for shredding, but gets a bad reputation because bands like korn and limp biscuit used them. steve vai, petrucci, trey azagthoth, jeff loomis, mithras, and fat mr. crab and uli c.c. rotweiller (from born to shred) all use 7 strings effectively. if your hands can handle the extra string, its great for certain styles, and very versitile.

7 strings are cool, but i just set my 6 as a 7 so i kinda kill 2 birds with one stone. i figured it may take me a while to get used to a 7 string and most 7 strings ive seen are the strat styles, and i love my explorer style ESP. so i just put a set of 7 strings minus the high E, it works!

7 string guitars kick ass if you actually rethink all your scale patterns and remap how you approach the fretboard - as opposed to playing it like a 6 string with a low B - like Korn does.

If you want to hear someone who is SICK on a 7 string - check out

www.gregrapaport.com

Otherwise known as "Splinterhead" on the UM forum...the dude can play his ass off...

JB