8-string guitars... epic lawlz!!!

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Yesterday I played one of the $1,000 LTD 8-string guitars in Sam Ash. I believe the 8th string was tuned to E, resulting in an added low octave.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...k_-1_10052_10002_-49958719_cmCategorySA-10001

Let me say that this was perhaps the most "pointless" musical instrument I have ever played. There was so much stuff wrong with this guitar. It's nothing like a 7-string with an added string... There is a slight "flare" on the separations between the strings, meaning that the strings are closer together at the nut & there is more space between them at the bridge. This doesn't really mean anything though, because the strings are extremely close together no matter where you are on the neck. Shredding is nigh impossible on this hunk of junk by both the right & the left hand. I don't even have big hands & I'm fretting two strings at once on this thing, almost as easily as you would on a 12-string for example. Picking with the strings so close together is something that one must relearn while playing on this "thing".

All this & I haven't even touched on the terrible sound of the guitar. Even the 5th & 6th strings sound like complete ass, not to mention the lower strings. There is no note definition when you're playing in this low of an octave on the guitar. Even if one "needed" to play in this low an octave I don't see why they wouldn't get a barritone modded 6-7 string. Hell, I don't even see that big of a problem with an 8-string concept, just put some fucking space in between the strings at the very least!!!

Just as i guess have been done here?

Meshuggah playing "in Death is Life" and "in Death is Death".

very good quality.

imo this proves you wrong..

Last edited by a moderator:
really? hmm, that surprises me actually..

Thought they would always use it..

imo that depth in a guitar rly have balls.

they use it at certain moments to add some extra bass to parts of songs, but they say it sounds too muffled with distortion to use it too much.

they use it at certain moments to add some extra bass to parts of songs, but they say it sounds too muffled with distortion to use it too much.

nah man your're all mixed up, on their latest three albums (nothing, catch 33 and obzen) they are all over the eighth string, they use it all the time. i'm pretty sure i've seen the interview you're talking about and they only play open notes on the eighth string so it does not sound to muffled, (power chords get very muddy down that low). I have an eight string and play along with meshuggah the time, the eigth string is everywhere. Every album pre nothing is recorded on seven strings. To respond to the start of this topic, i believe Franne said it all with that vid. 8 strings fucking kill!!!!!!:headbang:

Franne, I suggest you re-read what I wrote...

Meshuggah are frighteningly mediocre at best. They do something a bit different, but it's nothing ground breaking & Thorendahl did not rewrite the book on playing guitar. His solo album is really fucking cool though.

I might be talking shit about poorly made 8-strings, but I would play one of these in a heartbeat if given the chance :shock: They make 36-fret 8-strings.

http://www.lgmguitars.com/guitars/leviathan/finish_options_exotics.html

Franne, I suggest you re-read what I wrote...

Meshuggah are frighteningly mediocre at best. They do something a bit different, but it's nothing ground breaking & Thorendahl did not rewrite the book on playing guitar. His solo album is really fucking cool though.

come on man, you may not like them or you may not be able to get your head around them, but I would challenge you to show me a band that are more groundbreaking than meshuggah. Thorendel is a fucking genius! he has created his own style and has a flair unmatched by guitarists that can play triplets at 3000 bpm or whatever........ The band fucking kill and people that dismiss them just don't have the patience to find the groove in their music!

come on man, you may not like them or you may not be able to get your head around them, but I would challenge you to show me a band that are more groundbreaking than meshuggah. Thorendel is a fucking genius! he has created his own style and has a flair unmatched by guitarists that can play triplets at 3000 bpm or whatever........ The band fucking kill and people that dismiss them just don't have the patience to find the groove in their music!

There is a lot wrong with this statement. You see, you can like what you want to like & it's OK with me. While I can say negative things about Meshuggah, I don't hate them & I think it's cool that Thorendahl is doing something a bit different. More power to him & his solo album album is good, much better than Meshuggah IMO. It has nothing to do with me "not being able to get my head around the music". I listen to stuff MUCH MUCH MUCH more harmonically complex & quirky than Meshuggah. That being said, if you think Meshuggah are the most groundbreaking band of all time...??? OMFG is all I have to say.

You mean ugly/gay as shit, yeah? =p

Those guitars are awesome looking. They have sweet paint jobs, they're unique, & you're just a negative ass motherfucker who hates everything.

The paint work on most of them is alrate. The bodies are ugly.

And yes, it's cool to hate everything. Fools.

There is a lot wrong with this statement. You see, you can like what you want to like & it's OK with me. While I can say negative things about Meshuggah, I don't hate them & I think it's cool that Thorendahl is doing something a bit different. More power to him & his solo album album is good, much better than Meshuggah IMO. It has nothing to do with me "not being able to get my head around the music". I listen to stuff MUCH MUCH MUCH more harmonically complex & quirky than Meshuggah. That being said, if you think Meshuggah are the most groundbreaking band of all time...??? OMFG is all I have to say.

Sure, whatever mate nice to see that you named these more 'quirky and harmonically complex bands' And once again i challenge you to name a band that sounds as original and complex as meshuggah. When you do i will then rebut your statement. I stand by everything i posted!!!!

Man, 8 strings dont suck, just make sure you get one with either good specs, of get a custom.
The illustrated luthier for example makes some very nice 8 strings imho.

I mean, you cant judge 'all the 8strings' based on this LTD...
(Y)

Sure, whatever mate nice to see that you named these more 'quirky and harmonically complex bands' And once again i challenge you to name a band that sounds as original and complex as meshuggah. When you do i will then rebut your statement. I stand by everything i posted!!!!

That's lame Bro. It doesn't matter what I say, you're going to disagree because Meshuggah are obviously your favorite band & you think they're the most technical & original band to ever exist. I'll just name a few artists more original/revolutionary than Meshuggah for shits & giggles.

Spiral Architect
Spastic Ink/Ron Jarzombek
Gorguts
Yngwie Malmsteen
Behold... The Arctopus/Indricothere
Orphaned Land
Allan Holdsworth
Strid
Steve Vai
Dream Theater
John Zorn
Shawn Lane
Maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot
Morbid Angel
Planet X
Van Halen

If you just want more technicality then there are thousands of tech death bands that wipe the floor with Meshuggah in terms of raw technicality. There's not even any reason for me to name any of these bands because I will be here all week doing so.

& FTR I'm not saying Meshuggah are completely unoriginal, but to say they're the most original artists of all time is absolute nonsense. I think it's cool that Thorendal can play a 2 note riff in 7 different times to drummer playing poly rhythms, but that's just not the most original thing anyone's ever came up with.

meshuggah sucks, as do most 8 string guitars. like matt said, fanned frets are a must on a guitar like that. actually, fanned frets are a must period!
~gR~