6505 tone problem

Jakecaram

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2010
So I am having a problem with getting a good tone with a 6505 that is ruining my session. Here is the situation. I can't get enough gain or useable volume on either the rhythm or clean channel. As soon as I turn the post gain past 2 on either channel it becomes really muddy with horrendous lows/low mids and no highs. No matter how I set the amp it is always the same issue with the post gain. In front of the amp I have a maxxon 808. I have tried an LTD that has EMG 81's along with a les paul that has tone zones in it. I have used 6505's, soldanos, orange, marshal, bogner, all kinds of amps in the past and have never encountered this problem. Does anyone know what might be the cause? I know its hard without a clip but I am not at the studio now to make one. Thanks to all who respond.

The first thing to do is change the power tubes. If that doesn't work change the preamp tubes. If that doesn't work, have it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.

When you're operating a device with consumable parts that wear out and must be replaced, that is the first component to check.