6505 WITH or WITHOUT TS? (samples inside)

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
After some recent threads about TS or no TS, I decided to record some comparison clips. There are 6 clips:

Gain 3.5 NO 808
Gain 3.5 WITH 808
Gain 4 NO 808
Gain 4 WITH 808
Gain 5 NO 808
Gain 5 WITH 808

Chain was X-Amp->OD808 (or not)->6505 Lead Channel->Mesa Oversize Straight->SM57->API A2D

The 808 was set with OD at Min, Tone at 11:00 and Balance at 12:00.

I left the 808 in the path but just switched it off for the NO 808 clips. All clips are Raw, no HP/LP, EQ, etc...

I thought the results were interesting, so I thought I would share. :)
Listen for that Mid Hump and an overall brighter tone with the 808.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/437070/6505 ts comparison.rar 4.7MB.

Thanks to Marcus for his DI's and backing track. :kickass:

The samples clip, but I wanted to leave the level the same to show the difference Gain and 808/no808 made.

EDIT: 2 more Gain 3.5 Clips with less Mids and More Pres

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/437070/6505 ts comparison 2.rar 1.6MB

they all sound good to me...I'd probably go with the no TS gain on 5 but reduce the reso or bass a bit and increase the mids to make up for the TS bump.
my taste varies from day to day though

Thanks for the feedback Lasse, appreciated. :kickass: I will give your suggestions a shot. The settings were (out of 10):

Pre - as per filename
Bass 6
Mids 2
Treb 5.5
Post 2.5
Res 7
Pres 8

Great tones man!

I think I like gain on 4 with TS, and then both the ones with gain on 5 the best. I like the cut you get with the overdrive on, but I like the slightly lower amount of fizz without the OD, and I couldn't pick a favourite because I always like different tones at different times, and both would work well in plenty of situations.

Dylan, Ashgarth, thanks for the feedback :headbang:. I "think" I am preferring the Gain on 5 also......although, maybe the Gain on 4 With TS. :loco:

Lasse, I will export and upload the backing track tomorrow.

Anyway, here are the first samples I made before the ones linked to in the first post. They have the mic covering a tiny bit more of the Dustcap. Still Raw, no HP/LP, etc... A little bit of a different flavour. The mic position is only about 2mm different than the other samples. Seriously 2mm. :zombie:

EDIT: They have the same settings as the "Less Mids more Pres" samples added into the first post.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/437070/6505 ts comparison more dustcap.rar

Thats some super clear sounding stuff. This is rare for me to say it, but I enjoyed the clips more without the tube screamer dude :) Off topic question for you mate, what tubes are you running at the mo? Im going to pay a visit to www.watfordvalves.com and pick myself up today, maybe along side a couple of V30s!

my favorite is the gain at 3,5 WITH 808

though i do think that gain at 4 NO 808 could sound better if it were made a bit tighter (like less bass and more mids).

great job though, all those clips sound really good and better than my attempts to mic up amps :lol:

I really wish peopel would stop using this particular clip to re-amp everything. At this point i can no longer notice any difference in anything.

Good luck with it Jonesy.

Kev, tubes are JJ, then Shuguang, then JJ for the rest (might be a Sovtek in PI, can't remember). Did you get the V30's?

_max_, thanks for the feedback dude. Yeah a little tighter is always better.

Ryan, :oops:. Thanks dude. That's a great compliment coming from you. :kickass:

2000ContourSVT, That is still one of my fav's as well.

DigiV - I will try and consider you feelings more next time. :lol:

Cheers Dudes. :headbang: