6505 vs. 6505+

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Does anyone know if 6505 and 6505+ has the same tonal difference that
5150mk1 and 5150mk2 has?

Does anyone know wich one 5150mk1/6505 and 5150mk2/6506+ that's prefered by the majority? machine head used a 5150mk1 on their two first albums, diden't they?

seems like a lot of people say the 6505/5150 is the more aggressive one. I own a 6505+ (5150II) and I can get to the same place with an EQ in the loop. Even without it, the 2 amps are REALLY close, IMO. I've owned both.

And, yes MH uses a 5150. On Through the Ashes..., Robb also used a Line 6 FlextoneII head for additional low end.

Hmmm, am actually hearing some people here and there saying the new 6506 line doesen't have the same kick as the 5150 due to some change in parts....and some says its the very same amps....yikes, getting a bit confused here....

Hmmm, am actually hearing some people here and there saying the new 6506 line doesen't have the same kick as the 5150 due to some change in parts....and some says its the very same amps....yikes, getting a bit confused here....

They are the same amps...IF people hear a difference, I'd say it's because of a potential change in the stock tubes...I don't know what was stock in the 5150's, but my 6505+ came stock with Sovtek power tubes, EH pre's.

Isn't it possible that small components like caps and resistors could be different brands, making a slight change in sound? Even though it's technically the exact same design and schematic, I bet they changed vendors for certain parts over time....

A lot of the tonal differences people percieve are because of tubes. I put JJ/Teslas in my 6505+ and it sounds way better than the stock Ruby and Electro-Harmonix tubes.

mmm....you're saying mark1 and mark2 sounds a little different because they sometimes comes with different stock tubes....kind of find that hard to belive as others allways refer to the mk1 and thicker and moore agressive while mk2 is thinner and fizzier....or maybe am wrong?

Anyone here who has both mk1 and mk2?

(oh, I can't try out an mk1 where I live unless I "order and buy it"...gah...)

mmm....you're saying mark1 and mark2 sounds a little different because they sometimes comes with different stock tubes....kind of find that hard to belive as others allways refer to the mk1 and thicker and moore agressive while mk2 is thinner and fizzier....or maybe am wrong?

Anyone here who has both mk1 and mk2?

(oh, I can't try out an mk1 where I live unless I "order and buy it"...gah...)

I've tried them both with JJ's in the pre/poweramp - II does sound thinner/fizzier.