666metal.com's top 20 of 2001...

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
I'm sure many of you are familiar with this excellent mp3 and discography archive, here is its webmaster's best of the past year list, which should find your approval, and not just because of what's at number 1...

In this year's edition of the Top 20, I've taken the liberty of including those albums from 2000 that I hadn't bought before I made my list last year. (As a consequence, it makes this year's list look a lot better than last year's! But if I were to go back and edit my 2000 list, it might look a little better than this year's list.) I think that's the only fair thing to do - plus, it makes up for those 2001 albums that I haven't gotten yet! Some albums from 2001 that I intend to get but haven't yet are: Antithesis, Dying for Life; Cruachan, Folk-lore (but actually, I'm not certain this has been released yet); Edenbridge, Arcana (I'm expecting good things from this one); Shape of Despair, Angels of Distress (some doom fans have been singing the praises of this one).

Without further ado, the top 20 of 2001...

Honorable Mentions - These albums didn't make this list, but deserve mention as they were well above average: Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise, Even Song - Mysterium, Falconer - Falconer (best debut vocal performance of the year), Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Also, Avidost's four demo songs deserve mention, though they haven't been released on CD. Find 'em, download 'em, and hang onto 'em, because this band will be big.

20. Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Released in 2000 in Finland but elsewhere in early 2001, Children of Bodom's latest isn't anywhere near as good as Hatebreeder, but it has its share of fun, over-the-top neoclassical death metal moments.

19. Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
Hollenthon's second album is quite a bit better than their first and is highly recommended for anyone looking for a death-metalized Therion.

18. Armageddon - Embrace the Mystery
Whether you consider this "melodic metal" or "progressive metal" (I opt for the latter, though recognizing that unlike most progressive metal bands it makes little use of keyboards), if you enjoy nice guitar work this album should please you throughout. "Cry of Fate" just might be the best progressive metal song of the year.

17. Persuader - The Hunter
This was a 2000 release but I didn't get it till just a few months ago. It's a shame their label went out of business and they didn't get any promotion. This is one of the best melodic thrash albums I've heard in a long time. This will kick your ass!

16. Savatage - Poets and Madmen
The best Savatage album we've heard in many years. Probably their heaviest album since Hall of the Mountain King, while retaining their unique, semi-symphonic songwriting style. Make no mistake: Savatage is a metal band again!

15. Therion - Secret of the Runes
Therion drops some of the symphonics but gets away with it! Deggial is currently my #2 of 2000, so Secret of the Runes doesn't quite compare with it, but it's very enjoyable in its own right. Therion is still the best at what they do.

14. Angra - Rebirth
I infamously noted that this wasn't another "Angra masterpiece" in my review of the album, but my impression has nevertheless been overwhelmingly positive. Angra bears the flag of melodic, slightly progressive power metal with pride and skill. An essential album.

13. Misanthrope - Immortal
This was a late 2000 release that didn't find its way into my mailbox until last year. The best French metal band comes back with a unique and brilliant album of avant-garde melodic death metal.

12. Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Whoa! I wasn't expecting this. Arch Enemy finally lives up to their potential with one devastatingly sinister melodic extreme metal album. To be released in the U.S. in April this year, according to latest reports.

11. Edenbridge - Sunrise in Eden
Another late 2000 release, Sunrise in Eden is like a smooth wine, the angelic female vocals and fluid, melodic musicianship going down with ease and pleasure. I look forward to hearing their newest.

10. After Forever - Decipher
Decipher puts After Forever at the top of the gothic doomdeath heap, though lumping them into any single genre is hardly fair, as just about every style of metal finds itself into this eclectic mix.

9. Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
I just got this one and haven't had time to write a proper review yet, but it's very good! Far surpassing their earlier albums, Novembrine Waltz is, yes, essential for anyone who enjoys textured, atmospheric metal.

8. Rapture - Futile
This one is a 2000 release that didn't make it onto last year's list. Some people say this sounds too much like Katatonia, but I say "bollocks!" It's better than anything Katatonia has done lately, in my view: it's much sadder and more depressing. That's a good thing!

7. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Perhaps characterizable as "doom metal," but much faster than your ordinary doom. Great vocals, great guitars, just an awesome and unique metal album.

6. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
The Japanese avant-garde horror-metallers return with a strange yet ultimately satisfying album. Like a black metal trip into the stoned '70s.

5. Dreams of Sanity - The Game
It's a shame Sandra Schleret left this band, but maybe they can regroup. This album, her swansong, was a 2000 release that was difficult to obtain until recently. Progressive, slightly gothic, definitely romantic - vocals and musicianship combine in a classic.

4. Royal Hunt - The Mission
The best 2001 release in the traditional progressive metal genre, The Mission has gathered some complaints for its electronically-triggered drum sound and sometimes "commercial" sound. But it also has some really heavy, driving tunes, which when combined with complex structures really make for a special experience.

3. Daylight Dies - Idle EP
The band considers this one a demo, but it was released (in 2000) on a small label with lyrics and everything. In my book, that counts! I was pleased to hear these guys finally got a deal with Relapse. Just very good melodic-doom extreme metal. Their debut album should be one of the best releases of 2002.

2. Within Temptation - Mother Earth
My new #1 of 2000, Mother Earth has justly received praise from all quarters. Brightly symphonic and melodic, with excellent female vocals, this may not be the heaviest album ever made, but surely one of the richest.

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth returns to #1! Orchid and Morningrise were #1 in 1994 and 1996, but Opeth hasn't quite matched that level since. To be sure, Blackwater Park is not as special to me as those two albums are either, but Opeth really has returned with a vengeance. This is the first Opeth album since Morningrise that I find myself listening to frequently and enjoying every time. It's more progressive than Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse and just sounds fresher. Yes, Opeth is the Iron Maiden of the 21st century: the one band you can count on to release a great album every time. I'm just surprised they haven't spawned a legion of imitators yet.

LMAO!
#16, that's the dumbest thing I've heard this year so far. A metal band once again? Poets And Madmen is probably their most hard rock oriented album! How the hell is Handful Of Rain NOT metal? For fuck's sake, the first track is pure thrash.

Anycrap, aside from that I think it's a pretty good list.. Even if I haven't heard a lot of stuff on it.

They'd better respect Opeth's authoritah!

(I probably spelled it wrong. 'Respect my authoritah' is the only funny thing about Southpark