8 string guitar

I know rusty's ibanez 8 has a high A, and he uses a 8 gauge for it...

from his website...

58 for the low B
8 for the high A

think about this...

If you had a bass G string on a guitar, how would your guitar amp handle it? I think it would sound like shit since its a guitar amp not a bass amp, and guitar amps were never designed to go that low..unless you were able to get an independant signal from that string and send it to a bass amp...

Emanuele said:
Meshuggah use to play 8-strings guitars. They are made by Fredrik Nevborn. You can order it from his website http://www.nevbornguitars.com/
I love them :D

originally posted by tubbs mcgee: Yeah, Meshuggah made a big mistake if I remember correctly... their guitars sounded so deep that they actually got rid of their bass player! Correct me if I'm wrong, it was just a rumor I heard. (end quote)

Yeah, but Meshuggah sucks. Cant understand any of the shit they say. Tubbs is, I believe, correct; and I have now stopped listnening to any of their stuff

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I know what fretless basses sound like, and I've heard OF a fretless guitar, but I've never heard of any band/musician whatsoever that uses it.

our bass player uses one on slower songs.

RobbM said:
and fanned frets do not offer greater fluidity and control over the fretboard, all it is, is a dual scale length, on the bottom end is a les paul length (i think 25.5") and the top end is a strat (24" something) length. its to provide even string tension over the board.

Just for the record, strat scales are 25-½" and Les Pauls are 24-¾". And PRS uses a 25" scale.

Cool post though.

Ehh... keep in mind Jaco Pastorius was a bassist. I find fretless guitars pointless...

RobbM said:
think about this...

If you had a bass G string on a guitar, how would your guitar amp handle it? I think it would sound like shit since its a guitar amp not a bass amp, and guitar amps were never designed to go that low..unless you were able to get an independant signal from that string and send it to a bass amp...

Any note higher than the 12th fret on a standard E bass string will be perfectly, perfectly fine on a guitar amp.... Basses are an octave lower than guitars, therefore the 12th fret on the E string of a bass will equal an open E on a guitar. And I don't know why you'd want a bass G string on your guitar, your guitar's strings will already cover all of the notes you'd get from that string.

so your six string bass has a invisible 7th string?

I wasnt saying it cant be done, just that it would lack in the tone department, where you might get a crappy clunk instead of a heart pounding thump. (which was that same problem when 7 strings were first used) although with the right amps and speakers its possible. (Im thinking triaxis-Strategy 500 Power Amp- wall of marshall MF400 4x12 Cabs...or something to that liking.)