99% happy this mix! My best work so far (as i lay dying/woe is me style!)

hi-hats too hissy,
bring more body back to the cymbals
not big on the guitar tone but that's probably just me
Bass is clanky in some bits, maybe EQ out some of the clank or compress or give it some grit to even it out, take your pick :lol:
also I'd maybe pan the lead overdubs underneath the main lead somewhere else it's getting a bit clogged

Opinion from a guy without studio monitors: I really like the mix, though in all versions I found the hats too hissy and trebly (and too loud on mix mooo). I really liked the efects (glass, the pitchdown, etc). I also think that some more bass would be nice. What ampsim did you use for guitars? And what's on the leads at 2:20 and on? They sound really sweet

hi-hats too hissy,
bring more body back to the cymbals
not big on the guitar tone but that's probably just me
Bass is clanky in some bits, maybe EQ out some of the clank or compress or give it some grit to even it out, take your pick :lol:
also I'd maybe pan the lead overdubs underneath the main lead somewhere else it's getting a bit clogged

Thank ya joe! I've changed the bass amp now for a new track I'm working on and it sounds much better, I'll send it you on facebook or something. As for the cymbals, I always struggle with them. I dont think they sound TOO bad but I'll see what I can do

Opinion from a guy without studio monitors: I really like the mix, though in all versions I found the hats too hissy and trebly (and too loud on mix mooo). I really liked the efects (glass, the pitchdown, etc). I also think that some more bass would be nice. What ampsim did you use for guitars? And what's on the leads at 2:20 and on? They sound really sweet

Thanks mate. I'll go and check on the hats, like Joe mentioned above!

All the guitars are just pod farm, slight EQ, then a multiband to tame the low end. Same patch for the lead!

eʍʍy;9567512 said:
This site is so discouraging to me for music production.

Why do you say that?

I think he means that most mixes here sound really good and newbies feel like shit :), I kind of feel that way too every now and then, haha

Ahhh aha I feel like that most days but its good to have things to look up to so you can always aim higher. I look back on some of my work a few months ago and laugh at it. I've improved so much, all thanks to this forum :)

SUCH a sick effect.

Thanks man, I think I've explained how I did most of it. Glass smashing, pitch down guitars and then just chopping up to grid

Please post the DI's :D

I will do bro, promise! Its been a busy, busy week with Christmas coming up and all.

I like that snare, it sounds great. And the whole mix sounds really good to me, but I keep hearing a lot of hiss and lack of clarity on the hats :/. Also on that splash at 2:00 approx.

What's the name of this band?

I like that snare, it sounds great. And the whole mix sounds really good to me, but I keep hearing a lot of hiss and lack of clarity on the hats :/. Also on that splash at 2:00 approx.

What's the name of this band?

Thank you! I worked on it a lot more. I used the SSD room samples rather than send it out to its own separate reverb (apart from a couple of bits I automated), bought 200hz down, and blended the two samples a little differently.

I NEED to work on my cymbals aha I've got quite a high shelf boost so just need to turn it down a bit, get rid of the hiss

The band is called Myth of Atlantis, cool dudes, great songs! Most of the guitars have been re written whilst recording

I think the new song you posted sounds pretty rad, nothing really sticks out to my ears (as being out of place or bad, that is). Not a fan of those super-over-produced kind of snares though, but it sounds fine for this type of music. Good job, imo.