A bill would jail Internet song swappers

Jim LotFP said:
Music is not free unless those who own the rights to the music says it is. Period, end of debate.

do you think the current state of the music business is acceptable? just curious, since you outline well the hard legal issue of filesharing as according to current law, but law is based on ideologies and it can change. what do you think *should* happen for reform?

blueskytheory said:
do you think the current state of the music business is acceptable? just curious, since you outline well the hard legal issue of filesharing as according to current law, but law is based on ideologies and it can change. what do you think *should* happen for reform?

File sharers (of copyrighted items) should be treated the same as shoplifters in legal terms, with their computers confiscated if they're allowing copyrighted works to be distributed from their machine.

Jim LotFP said:
File sharers (of copyrighted items) should be treated the same as shoplifters in legal terms, with their computers confiscated if they're allowing copyrighted works to be distributed from their machine.

I think this fucker works for (aka cocksucks) the bastards at the cunt fucking RIAA.

Let's kill the sorry son of a fuck.

They should not be treated as shop lifters. Its not shop lifting. Are you aware that you can legally download anything you want and try it for 24 hours? If after that point you can either buy it or delete it. Putting songs in my shared folder is not breaking any laws. What people do with them is up to them. I can produce hard copies of damn near every MP3 on my computer. Can you Mr. Take Everyones Computer Who Has MP3s?

Jim LotFP said:

if filesharing is a reaction to a flawed music business (expensive cds/shit music/no "previewing"), but filesharing itself is still breaking laws and morally unacceptable, what do you suggest in place? hardass legislation wont solve people's discontent with record company practices

bad dodge, cute answer though

blueskytheory said:
if filesharing is a reaction to a flawed music business (expensive cds/shit music/no "previewing"), but filesharing itself is still breaking laws and morally unacceptable, what do you suggest in place? hardass legislation wont solve people's discontent with record company practices

bad dodge, cute answer though

There are no changes that are needed on a 'music industry' level.

CDs too expensive for you? Don't buy them. But without file sharing, you couldn't steal the music then either. You'd make a choice. Do you want your money more than the music?

Shit music will never go away. Remember that the music we listen to is considered the shit music by 99% of the population.

And frankly, previewing is at the leisure of those who own the rights to the music. Period.

Record companies don't have to answer to thieves for their actions, and people who have music they didn't pay for on their hard drives can't call themselves 'fans'.

Jim LotFP said:
There are no changes that are needed on a 'music industry' level.

CDs too expensive for you? Don't buy them. But without file sharing, you couldn't steal the music then either. You'd make a choice. Do you want your money more than the music?

Shit music will never go away. Remember that the music we listen to is considered the shit music by 99% of the population.

And frankly, previewing is at the leisure of those who own the rights to the music. Period.

Record companies don't have to answer to thieves for their actions, and people who have music they didn't pay for on their hard drives can't call themselves 'fans'.

People like you are going to fuck musicians forever. The only "music" we'll ever have access to (because of dickfucks like you) will be the premanufactued, baby fed to the masses, RECORD COMPANY CUNT LICKING, poppy rap/boyband/britney spears ASSHIT.

FUCK YOU AND EVERYONE LIKE YOU.

Black Dragon said:
Are you aware that you can legally download anything you want and try it for 24 hours?
Prove it. That sounds like bullshit to me.
Black Dragon said:
Putting songs in my shared folder is not breaking any laws. What people do with them is up to them
That is incorrect. You may notice it says on CDs stuff like "may not be reproduced in any format", which means copying them to your harddrive is infact illegal. And do you really expect a lawyer/judge/jury to believe you if you said "Oh, I put things in a shared folder, I didn't know people would download it". Look, if you think file sharing is acceptable, that's your choice, but stop pretending you're not doing anything wrong. Do it, but atleast be honest with yourself about what it is you're actually doing.

Smitty said:
I think this fucker works for (aka cocksucks) the bastards at the cunt fucking RIAA.
Let's kill the sorry son of a fuck.

1- Threatening physical violence against someone that disagrees with you? You're either five years old or have the mentality of a 5 year old. Fucking retard.

2- You don't even have a clue who the RIAA are or why they take the stance they do... do you? If so, prove it.

3- LotFP, friend of the record label? You're living proof that brain death doesn't necessarily prevent someone from continuing to live an active life.

Smitty said:
People like you are going to fuck musicians forever. The only "music" we'll ever have access to (because of dickfucks like you) will be the premanufactued, baby fed to the masses, RECORD COMPANY CUNT LICKING, poppy rap/boyband/britney spears ASSHIT.

FUCK YOU AND EVERYONE LIKE YOU.

OK genius, the explain to me how underground music was able to have fans and success at levels it doesn't have now, before the internet was available to the average person?

Please, tell me, because from what you're saying, it would be impossible.

Jim LotFP said:
...because of this downloading issue and people insisting on taking things that are not theirs to take, the idea of private property and privacy is going to change. Prediction: In the next ten years, any computer connected to the internet is going to be considered a public place, much like a restaurant or shopping mall. Privately owned, but with no rights to deny access to authorities.

That... I would not doubt. File sharing has been going on a lot longer than I realized and the amount of people doing it had to increase greatly over a short period of time. The problem has become an increased threat to everyone who thinks themselves to be financially involved. With the internet, things spread like wildfire so it's no surprise. Now that I think about it, my initial point of what took so long? is answered simply by legal issues moving so slowly. My guess is this has been an ongoing battle since Lars took it to court.

How did the creators of file sharing programs even get a go ahead in the first place? How could it not turn into what it has? An online file sharing orgy. I have to agree that when you look at it in black and white, it's the musician's art and you're sharing it with others (for free) without their consent. You are then giving something away that wasn't yours in the first place to give.

Unless of course, you managed to get consent from the bands personally. Sort of like what the record labels (the original leakers in all essence) have when they get the first copies and send them out to be reviewed or whatever.

Smitty said:
People like you are going to fuck musicians forever.

And you're saying giving copies to friends and thousands of unknowns online for free ISN'T? :err:

Jim LotFP said:
File sharers should be treated the same as shoplifters in legal terms...

I was about to say that's a bit harsh because many people don't realize their doing something illegal, but ignorance should never be the excuse.

I'm wondering how true the statement made by Black Dragon is. If so, then couldn't the file sharing program mainly be at fault for saying it's OK? They could turn around and sue individual registered members.

Opet said:
I was about to say that's a bit harsh because many people don't realize their doing something illegal, but ignorance should never be the excuse.

I'm wondering how true the statement made by Black Dragon is. If so, then couldn't the file sharing program mainly be at fault for saying it's OK? They could turn around and sue individual registered members.

I really doubt Black Dragon's right... That's never been brought up EVER on any legit news sites looking at this issue.

As for treating them as shoplifters being harsh... how many first time shoplifting offenders, especially kids, get more than slaps on the wrist? It's the habitual thieves that actually have problems...

My guess is someone else would've agreed with the statement by now. Why hasn't Black Dragon commented again I wonder. :err:

I was at Maiden/Dio/Motorhead in Worcester last night. Bruce mentioned the new album, Wildest Dreams. He pretty much said, go ahead, download it online. If you hate it, copy it. Do whatever you want with it. That only tells me we deserve it because you think it sucks. But, if you like it, pay the "4-beers worth" and buy the CD.

Smitty...Jim has done more to promote obscure metal than just about anyone on this forum...just because he is able to look at the situation from the business perspective does not mean he is unconcerned with the welfare of the artist...and I doubt any independent retailer who has lost profit to file sharing would say that it can only benefit the struggling musician.

What the hell is up with you people? Is it so hard to recognise that an artists music is their property, and that downloading it is theft? As far as I'm concerned, downloading is even worse than shoplifting, in that it is so quick, so easy, and so riskfree. Not many people get "caught" downloading, and as a consequence suffer repercussions for it. (That is, until now.)

If the artists and their labels really wanted you to "help" them by downloading their material, wouldn't they see to it that it was distributed for free on the internet? In fact, many do, because they realise that mp3s are an incredibly potent and important marketing tool.

The childish "fight the power" attitude witnessed in this thread is thoroughly disgusting. One day, I hope you'll realise that stealing, and passing it off as "helping the band" is thoroughly pathetic. Until then,
grow the fuck up.