A clip from one of my songs: "CoolDude"

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Yo!

I'm feeling a pretty nice surge of positiveness right now... as you know, creating music is pretty much like a rollercoaster like the rest of life. Up and down, up and down... sometimes it feels like everything I do sucks and sometimes it feels as if it is what's gonna "save my life". I don't know what I mean by that but it sure feels like that sometimes =)

So here is a clip from a song temporarily known as "CoolDude". Again, it's only a scratch track so it has temporarily programmed drums and there is no bass guitar. Everything except the synths and "effects" will be re-recorded once I've done scratch tracks for all my songs. And I can't fucking wait to hear my singer lay his crazy ideas over these on the vocals.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/CoolDude Clip.mp3

The mp3 was compressed twice in mp3 format to gain some of that digital warmth effect ...... haha no, I'm just kidding =) It was double compressed because I only had an mp3 of the song to make this clip out of, and then I had to render it out as mp3 again so you wouldn't have to download/stream a big wave file!

So anyway, not really looking for feedback on the mix details since it's just a scratch track (and it lacks a bass guitar!) but I would like to hear what you think about the general level of the synths and stuff in the music. My primary focus with this music is to give most room for the usual which is drums, bass, guitars and vocals. The synths are important too of course but they are more in the role of providing texture and melody without actually being recognized immediately. Sort of that "Oooooh, I have never heard this melody before!" type of feeling you know, when you have listened to the song 5 times and you just realized there is a synth playing something cool.

I guess honest opinions about the music would be cool too. I've tried to define the genre and I think I would call it "Spaced out Djent" or "Melodic Djent" or some shit. The thing is that I'm heavily inspired by kickass djenty bands which have molded my guitar playing into something ENTIRELY different than before, so that is like a base for my music. But at the same time I have so many influences it's sick... so this is what it ends up sounding like. I guess some songs are more djenty than other ones, but overall, I try to keep a good balance. I also try to structure most of my songs in a pretty easy-to-listen-to kind of way, with a defined verse and chorus and tying the song back together at the end if it was too spaced out during some interlude or whatever.

Ok I'm gonna stop writing now, enough wall of text already ^^

Can't wait to hear this with vocals.

As you said, can't really comment on the mix, but the one thing I would say.. is that I can't stand mono synths panned centre. I always pan them the opposite direction of what the cymbals are playing. So that first lead synth you've got I'd pan like 30% right. Its not distracting because its balanced by the cymbals and it just opens it up a whole lot more.

Can't wait to hear this with vocals.

As you said, can't really comment on the mix, but the one thing I would say.. is that I can't stand mono synths panned centre. I always pan them the opposite direction of what the cymbals are playing. So that first lead synth you've got I'd pan like 30% right. Its not distracting because its balanced by the cymbals and it just opens it up a whole lot more.

Good freakin' tip man! I never really thought about that... not that I think about mixing details at this stage but I'm not sure if I would've thought of this even in mixing. I'm not too used with synths and stuff so it's all still kinda new to me so thanks a bunch for the tip. Learning something new every day... awesome.

Good freakin' tip man! I never really thought about that... not that I think about mixing details at this stage but I'm not sure if I would've thought of this even in mixing. I'm not too used with synths and stuff so it's all still kinda new to me so thanks a bunch for the tip. Learning something new every day... awesome.

Yeah, whenever I've got anything extra, a vocal harmony, a synth, a lead guitar while there's vocals going on, it instantly gets panned opposite to the cymbals. Thank you Daylight Dies for that :)

NO FUCKING VOCALS
I SWEAR
dont let some cunt yelping over this ruin your beautifully crafted song man, i swear to god

i love this shit