A couple of questions about patch cables and poweramps

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, a couple of quick questions:

First, when patching a Rack FX processor (in my case, a Rocktron XPression) into the FX loop of my XSr, should I just use instrument cable, or is there a special kind of unbalanced patch cable? (cuz I know the FX send/return aren't balanced)

Second, I'm curious as to what makes a power section a certain class; I know Class A is always on (lower wattage) and Class AB is push/pull (higher wattage, slightly less responsiveness), but what about Class D, which I've seen, and is there a Class B or C? (or E, F, G, etc.)

Finally, I've read that what makes the Mosvalve so kickass is that it's a MosFET power section; how is that different from the above "classes?"

This may be getting in over my head technically, but I figured it was worth a shot, cuz I love learning about this stuff! Thanks guys!

Dudes, this is well within your technical knowhow - at least someone answer the first question to give this thread another bump?

Okay...

Power classes suck. Fuck power classes. I'll get to those later, when I'm feeling a lot more sadistic, but there are plenty of other writeups out there so you can look into those for the time being.

MOSFETs are a type of transistor that just sound fucking great. Lots of people think tube-like... if something can improve on tubes, I'd say it's MOSFETs. Of course, they're only as strong as the circuit they're in, but a good MOSFET gain stage is going to sound unbelievable... they're great for audio circuits, basically. It's not a 'class' like the others, just a type of transistor.

Guitar patch cables should work for the loop.

Jeff