Some good and bad words about 6505+ 112 combo

Thanks Derykus for the schematics.

I haven't tried the unbalanced cables but I think that's not the problem. I believe that it's simply the way the fx loop is designed or it could be a problem in my amp.

Somebody with the same amp having the same effect in the fx loop?

If it's the fx loop design the cause of the issue, I'd like to know if it can be modded to avoid this. Is it even possible?

When you have a look at the schematics you see that it isn't a balanced output because the phonejacks aren't stereo types..only mono. And if it were balanced, it would only cause in a lower signal level using mono cables and nothing else.
I'm no pro, but i guess the buffer section could be bypassed by cutting the conducting paths on the pcb with a knife and rewiring the send phone jack directly. But that should do someone who knows a bit more of the functionality of the amp (circuit design). If you do it wrong it might be nonreversible. But first we have to know if it's definitely the buffer which kills the tone, so another 6505 combo should be tested.

Mine does it too. Sounds a lot crunchier when a patch cable is plugged in the loop. I wouldn't say it sounds THAT bad, and actually, it takes away that muffled sound inherent of this combo. To me, it makes playing with it a lot funner! I haven't recorded it yet so that could all change... but it seems to make the amp more rock and less metal.

But first we have to know if it's definitely the buffer which kills the tone, so another 6505 combo should be tested.

This.

Mine does it too. Sounds a lot crunchier when a patch cable is plugged in the loop. I wouldn't say it sounds THAT bad, and actually, it takes away that muffled sound inherent of this combo. To me, it makes playing with it a lot funner! I haven't recorded it yet so that could all change... but it seems to make the amp more rock and less metal.

That's interesting. The amp being more rock and less metal... Is it the green channel you are talking about? I ask this because with the patch cable I find that the red channel is 'overgained' and unusable even with the pre knob at 2.

It'd be graat if you could post some clips to compare the tones with and without patch cable.

this is unrelated i guess, but why in the world would you hi-pass at 250?!! especially on a 6505 with that beautiful low end

Well spotted. I just felt lazy to write 'shelving low at 250hz with 5db of gain reduction'.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/Combo1.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/Combo2.mp3

Same Settings etc etc ,only Hp at 10k and Lp at 100hz

Witch sounds better to you?

And this one is with little different settings but still only with HP an LP
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/Combo3.mp3

Thanks for the test.

Combo1 is the one that sounds definitely worst to me. I think it's the one with the patch cable. Combo2 sounds warmer, with less fizzzzz, more balnced and clearer.

Combo3 sounds also better than Combo1 and I suspect that's also without the patch cable but with less mids.

you are right about first two,but the last one is with patch cable.One thing that is most obvious when patch cable is connected is that amp loses mids a LOT , clip 3 is with mid knob on 4.5
On first 2 clips settings were same :
Treble- 5 Mid- 2.5 Low- 5 Resonance- 8 Presence- 8 Gain- 4 Post- 3.5

Clip 3:
Treble- 3.5 Mid- 4.5 Low- 7 Resonance- 8 Presence- 6 Gain- 2 Post- 2.5

D'oh!

I was tricked by the reduction you did in the gain and the high knobs. So by decreasing two points in these and increasing mids you seem to get a good tone with it. Thanks a lot for the info sexan, that was really helpful.

Can you please post a clip with tube screamer but connected to the input not to the fx loop ? I don't have one but I would like to hear it with the combo

One more thing regarding FX loop , without FX loop connected the tone is always dark and increasing treble or presence only makes it harsh and nasal,while with connected loop its smooth and more open(to my ears)

There's just the patch in the loop. All my clips are with the tube screamer in the front input. It sounds great with a TS, get one and you'll be impressed. TS settings were: gain 0; volume full; tone 12 o'clock.

I have the 6505 plus 112 combo but have not noticed the same issue. I will check back with you all this weekend when I have time to compare the two. P.S.
I do love the sound of this amp with a TS in front of it but feel kind of guilty for buying the chinese version.

One more time regarding the high freq

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/ComboWithoutPatch.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/ComboPatch.mp3

treble is on 4 and presence on 6 for the Patched one

and for not patched treble 6 and presence 9

and sorry for sloppy playing :)

Riff is somebody's from the forum

Cool dude. Thanks for the clips.

I have the 6505 plus 112 combo but have not noticed the same issue. I will check back with you all this weekend when I have time to compare the two. P.S.
I do love the sound of this amp with a TS in front of it but feel kind of guilty for buying the chinese version.

It'd be helpful if you record it and tell us what happens.

This is driving me mad.....can anyone with 6505 head tell me how much high end it has?