A Drum Question

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I've been recently revamping my drum stuff(I had the worst mikes and other stuff imaginable), and, although I'm on a pretty tight budget, I'm getting all new gear. I know what mics I'm going to be getting, but I have a question about the whole drum triggering concept. Andy, you've recommended the DM4 as a module, but I can only find the DM5, which has only two stereo pairs of outputs. I want to trigger the kick and the snare up, as well as mic them, and slightly mix those signals in, to get a more "live" feel. But, with those two stereo pairs, how can I record the triggered snare and kick to different tracks, so I can play with them separately in mixing? While I would love to get the ddrum modules, they're too much cash for me right now. What should I do?

There are some possibilities to do that.
You can just record your tracks and send them through your DM5 later during mixdown. Then you get an audio + a midi track to mix your signals.
The tracks should be gated properly to do that of course.

A very easy method is to use noise gates with a sidechain input. You send the mic through the gate which is controlled by the trigger piezo on the drum via sidechain.
You get a accurate signal with that method which should work for triggering later on but
you can also split up the trigger signal to the sidechain to gate the drum and record it simultaniously and send it throuigh your DM5 later.

Or you just record an audio track without noise gate and one midi track of the trigger piezo through your DM5.

I hope you understand my english. Thanks!