A few gear upgrades I wouldn't mind help with

sam14

Tard
Aug 22, 2011
Hi Guys

I am taking advantage of tax time this year to refurb my home studio. I have a rough idea of what I want but I wanted to run them by some people in the know.

I just sold my BX5a monitors, I was thinking of upgrading to Yamaha hs80m's

I am also looking at:
MXR M80 - bass DI for tracking, the demos I have heard I really liked

Audio Technica AT4040 - for vocals/acoustic guitar (I don't record vocals often enough to justify having a dedicated vocal mic).

I also have a window behind my desk that doesn't seal properly and lets a lot of road noise in, I am renting so I can't seal it up or damage it, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in hanging something in front of, or general soundproofing of a window?

Sorry about all the questions!

Well I can vouch for the HS80m's and the 4040. They both rule. There are definitely better monitors and mics out there, but for decent mid-range products I think they perform really well.

Cheers, yeah mid range is all I am after, my room wouldn't justify high end monitors, and I have limited clients other than my solo project, but I am looking to get out of entry level gear.

Never tried HS80's, but I have a 4040 which is actually a great mic for the price. They also go cheap occasionally on ebay, can be great for vocals and guitar cabs as well.
For the window, you could consider building a detachable 'lid': a kind of bass trap made to fit, maybe weatherstripped to seal better...

Never tried HS80's, but I have a 4040 which is actually a great mic for the price. They also go cheap occasionally on ebay, can be great for vocals and guitar cabs as well.
For the window, you could consider building a detachable 'lid': a kind of bass trap made to fit, maybe weatherstripped to seal better...

That's a pretty damn good idea, I will look into it cheers!