A message from In Flames.

I think there is a tendency to get too worked up about this sort of thing. People get passionate about the issue of bands "selling out" or changing their style, but if you don't like the direction that a band has taken just don't buy the albums (zzzzzzz..... how many times have we heard that, really ;) ). I think most people would agree that their earlier stuff (Jester Race, Whoracle) sounds better than Clayman, but Clayman is still a half decent album, if nothing spectatcular.

Still inflames could have just stayed quiet about it they are acting like they are disappointed with their fans, the ones that made them what they are in the first place. If you are going to try new things you gotta accept loosing fans and gaining other fans, and you cannot be all girlie about your old fans bitching about you will never hear mr. Sundin flaming all the idiots that say " The gallery rules haven is just techno rock ".

The post by the band did sound a little too defensive and I think it verged on insulting their fans at times. I don't really see the point of it. They accuse their critical fans of being insecure, but perhaps they should have a look at themselves. I couldn't really give a shit anyway though, their music still kicks a considerable amount of arse.

People get passionate about the issue of bands "selling out" or changing their style, but if you don't like the direction that a band has taken just don't buy the albums

*shakes head*

...AND even after i explained my thoughts, people still misjudged the fact that In Flames now suck, and have said that I have said that 'They have sold out'... No, they haven' sold out, they simply suck now.

Even though I have NEVER liked Clayman or Colony, I still retained respect for In Flames' early stuff. ANY respect that I did have for them has now been destroyed, simply because they themselves have become a cliche, in saying the comment tat they did about 'Rebelling', they have become everything that Metal and ORIGINAL music embodies, they have become OLD and STAGNANT.

I was ONCE a fan.... Then I became a critic... And now i simply despise you, In Flames.

Towelie:
Ummm... In Flames still kicks major ass... they're amazing

WHY are they amazing Towelie? Tell me that?

You are just like all the helpless Metallica fans that hang around with them, even though their new music sucks. I LOVE all their old stuff, because it is good. But once they started releasing CRAP, i stopped respecting and following them.

How long will it take you to realize?

Do they need samples? (ooh, i'm sorry, i forgot, they already DO have samples on clayman!)

Do they need to simplify their once great music? (ooh, i'm sorry, i forgot, they already have, with colony and clayman)

Do they need to tone-down the vox? (ooh, i'm sorry, i forgot, they already have...!)

What else? Does it need to get to the point where they kick the drummer out and replace the guitars with a keyboardist and some old dude banging on a beer-bottle??

It's NEVER been about 'In Flames selling out', for they haven't, because nu-metal commerciality-swallower teeny-bobbers HATE in flames even more than I do...! They haven't sold out, they simply suck now.

They aren't 'reaching a larger fan base', they are losing their old fanbase.

Originally posted by Trapped

*shakes head*

...AND even after i explained my thoughts, people still misjudged the fact that In Flames now suck, and have said that I have said that 'They have sold out'... No, they haven' sold out, they simply suck now.

Fair enough. I wasn't even thinking about what you said in your posts, so don't think that I was specifically talking about you. It was just a general comment. If you think they suck now, like I said, fair enough. I guess when you compare their older albums to their newer stuff, well then the suckiness is pretty obvious, but hey, it's not really worth starting an argument over, hey? :) I guess the real shame is that they were once a really great band, and their change in style has led them to become only an average one (or worse, according to you and many other fans).

It sounds defensive because they must realize how bad they sound, yet they don't want to give up the commercial sound (anyone remember Swansong?). They can count on the shit mags like Terrorizer and Metal Maniacs to rave about everything they put out, so no need to worry about critical support....but I think its funny that in their defense they pretty much admit that the most people who listen to them are insecure goths and nu-metallers....though they forgot the Jester Race fans who just can't admit that they suck now....

I think touring with the likes of Earth Crisis ( a vegan, god-loving, humanist band with sucky music) has rubbed off the "wuss-hardcore" element, which doesn't jibe with the "pop"-death melodic sound they have. The statement they release is all the evidence we need that they KNOW they DESERVE every critical statement they get....and they want to reason it out. Note to In Flames:METAL FANS ARE NOT THE STUPID FUCKING GOTHS YOU THINK THEY ARE YOU FUCKING PRICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travestyofman: Thankyou for explaining what you meant, I mistook what you said... :)

(Note to anyone who is LOST: This all stems from the In Flames forum, where a HUGE arguament esued about how they had regressed in quality. The thing that made ME mad was the fact that all the blind In Flames' fans basically said to me: "...If you don't like new in flames, that means that you are a black-metal elitist that thinks In Flames has sold out...", which is not what i think at all. )

I disagree they are. They just dont post on the forum but ive seen them elsewhere bashing haven. But nevertheless inflames indeeds to stop the fan flaming thing and write more descent music, i agree with that.

Also does anyone here thinks this inflames attack is nothing but a prelude to a new completly nu metal cd? i see it as a posibility.

Hahaha,

I gave up on In Flames long ago, but it was funny reading their teenage girl outburst. It was incoherent and full of pimples ;)

'Kin losers.

(As far as Clayman... I prefer to not call it "Nu-Metal"... "crap" more or less suffices)

Regardless of the fact that I consider Clayman to be inferior to Whoracle or TJR, this is a good example of how a band can be defiant towards their critics and still express it with some intelligence...although this statement does seem to be defensive and could further alienate some of their fans, and is ridden with generalizations, some of which are in common usage among nu-metallers...

I'll wait until the new album comes out before making a final judgement...and I agree with Jim, judgement is what shapes our individuality.

Originally posted by Trapped

You are just like all the helpless Metallica fans that hang around with them, even though their new music sucks.

And you see nothing absolutely immature about that statement? It is possible for people to like Clayman, you know. Like me, I honestly enjoyed Clayman and I think In Flames are awsome. I suppose that makes me a poser akin to new Metallica fans, huh?

This whole mentality is simply disgusting. I may not agree with the attitude of their post, but In Flames do have a point about the metal scene having standards of "fashionable music" just like the mainstream. Like in that statement, when you made a blind judgement about Towelie because he likes In Flames. Clayman may not be socially acceptable in the metal scene, but I'm not going to change my opinion of it because of that.

Do you expect me to suddenly not like Clayman because you don't like it? I understand that you don't like Colony or Clayman, and you outright dispise In Flames right now, but I ask that you have the decency to respect that people do like them, regardless of your personal opinion.

I understand that now, because I like In Flames you'll think of me as naive, and I have cooties according to the metal scene. I just think it's sad that people are willing to judge other people so completely based on the music they enjoy, and how ironic for a scene that prides itself on open-mindedness, we're just as judgemental and standard-ridden as the mainstream.

I agree Clayman do borders on the metal-nu metal line, but I still enoyed it. it was a relatively commercial direction they followed, but I see nothing to be be freaked about. but well, In Flames has never been a favorite band of mine anyway. still it'll be interesting to see what their new sound gets to be like...

oh, and yeah, it was a mistake from them to make such a rude and defensive release. bands should always remain objective and cool-headed when dealing with fans. it's a very delicate matter.

Originally posted by Belial

And you see nothing absolutely immature about that statement? It is possible for people to like Clayman, you know. Like me, I honestly enjoyed Clayman and I think In Flames are awsome. I suppose that makes me a poser akin to new Metallica fans, huh?

This whole mentality is simply disgusting. I may not agree with the attitude of their post, but In Flames do have a point about the metal scene having standards of "fashionable music" just like the mainstream. Like in that statement, when you made a blind judgement about Towelie because he likes In Flames. Clayman may not be socially acceptable in the metal scene, but I'm not going to change my opinion of it because of that.

Do you expect me to suddenly not like Clayman because you don't like it? I understand that you don't like Colony or Clayman, and you outright dispise In Flames right now, but I ask that you have the decency to respect that people do like them, regardless of your personal opinion.

I understand that now, because I like In Flames you'll think of me as naive, and I have cooties according to the metal scene. I just think it's sad that people are willing to judge other people so completely based on the music they enjoy, and how ironic for a scene that prides itself on open-mindedness, we're just as judgemental and standard-ridden as the mainstream.

I was gonna say what he said :) I liked clayman. And no i'm not a tredny pussy. Remember, there are 2 kinds of trends... Following what is popular, and hating what is popular. I honestly believe that some people only hate popular bands because of that very reason, when in fact if their heads weren't so far up their asses they would appreciate that kind of music still, but ass is the head is so far up that the sound is muffled by ass hair so they can't make a fair judgement. Not saying people on this board are like this, because of course some people are really just not gonna like the new In Flames, but i would say maybe 50% are just being "trendy"... like "oh Jester Race was the best! In Flames changed to a popular sound so now they suck. No i don't own the album and have only heard one song but i just know, i am tr00". And yes i agree Jester Race was the best one, but i mean Clayman i liked about 3/4 of the songs, which isn't bad.

Trapped... that comment about the Metallica comparison is completely unfounded... In Flames has nothing to do with Metallica... but how can you say that In Flames stuff is really that different from their old stuff?? If by different, you mean better production... but I forgot... the popular belief on this board is that better production=less talent... yah... only for the weak... horrible song... I dont' like it at all... but you know what? The rest of Clayman is awesome... and there's nothing musically simple about it.. some of the riffs are mind blowing! The simplicity argument doesn't work because the music is not simple... or at least it's not any more simple than ANY of their stuff! I hate when people judge a whole album on one song...