Peter interview, comments on the Grand Conjuration video

CAIRATH

Astral Disaster
Feb 6, 2002
R'lyeh
Here's an interview with Peter where he (among other things) comments on the terrible The Grand Conjuration video. I thought his comments were pretty funny and it's interesting to see that they have no problem with openly criticising Roadrunner and the circumstances surrounding this video.

“Uh oh! (Laughs) Here’s a little defence speech that we prepared earlier... We always said that we’re not really fans of doing videos, unless we do a full-length video of a full-length song. But obviously we realise that the idea of that ever working is never going to happen. Our songs are too long, and nobody is going to put the work in to doing a ten-minute video if nobody is going to show it. So we thought that the only way we could do it was to edit the song down. We don’t like edits ourselves, but we still decided to go ahead and do it. Roadrunner Records told us that we only had one evening to shoot all of our performance footage, and that it would have to be done while we were on tour. We asked about who was going to direct it, and they told us it was going to be Bill Yukich. We asked what the storyline was going to be, and they sent us three or four distinctly different ideas. So we didn’t know what was going on. The whole situation was so chaotic, in the end we just decided to go down to the shoot, get the footage of us all filmed and simply fuck off. And I think the final result is in accordance to that. We didn’t have a clue as to what was going on, and I don’t even like it how it turned out. It doesn’t have anything to do with the music, or even the lyrics. We asked Yukich a couple of questions, and he didn’t answer any of them. He was pissed off the whole time. I don’t know what the story was there. They sent us the final result, and it was awful. We soon decided that there were some fucking changes that needed to be made, and then that’s when our management and Roadrunner Records came back to us told us who this guy had worked with in the past (Foo Fighters, HIM, Probot) and all the work he put into this video. After having been in this band for all these years, we thought that the first time that we would do a video that it would turn out great, but instead it looks like my cat sat on it! (Laughs) So we were pissed off at the time, but at the end of the day, it’s just a video, so who gives a fuck. Having a video played on T.V. is probably a good idea. So any press is good press in a way. I think it’s going to fulfil its purpose. Then again, we have friends calling us saying, ‘This is the worst video I have ever seen in my whole life!’ And we agree. I just wish it had been a great video, but it wasn’t! (Laughs) I do like the ideas of doing videos. Even the Aphex Twin video for Come To Daddy by Chris Cunningham is a great example of what is possible. But he’s also terribly expensive and semi retired, so we can’t use him. But we would like to have something more interesting than what we were given next time. I think we’re going to do more videos, but next time we’ll try and take control of things a little more.”

http://www.themetalforge.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=260

Hell, even some of the new pictures we had taken of the band were criticised. Some kids out there complained that the grass didn’t look green enough. Get a life! (Laughs) In the end, we just give up caring what those people thought. They should know better. After all the years that we’ve been doing our own thing, we’re never going to change for anybody.”

hahahaha!!!! He is making fun of all of the dipshits on this board.

If Australia was a little closer to Europe where all our family is, I would like to move there. We love Australia. Yes, it’s cheesy to say that, but every time we go there, we always want to stay there forever.

That's right, motherfuckers. Best. Country. In. The. World. You can all lick my balls!

Ok, in all seriousness, I just wanted to be cool and quote part of the interview like everyone else.

EDIT: Well, 3 other people.. meh..

Wiberg comes from the ‘70’s style of keyboard players, which means he can actually play! (Laughs) He’s one of the best musicians in the band, and we wanted to use his abilities as much as possible.

Maybe we'll get some keyboard/guitar battles happening at the live shows. Stratovarius style! w00000000000t

The video is terrible, i watched it once and i really wish i did'nt!! I'm never going to watch it again...
Haaa, looks like my cat sat on it!!!

JoeVice said:
Hell, even some of the new pictures we had taken of the band were criticised. Some kids out there complained that the grass didn’t look green enough. Get a life! (Laughs) In the end, we just give up caring what those people thought. They should know better. After all the years that we’ve been doing our own thing, we’re never going to change for anybody.”

hahahaha!!!! He is making fun of all of the dipshits on this board.

Be that as it may, I find it kind of weird how he dislikes the video but defends the promo photos.

I know it's all ultimately pointless because none of it is affecting their music... but it seems RR, or whoever it is that handles things like that, is trying to create this image for Opeth to be a band that they're not. The generic nu-metal video that even the band seem to dislike, along with rough promo shots trying to show them as modern and hard or something. I know by now the band are probably sick of forests and shit, but I certainly think more time should've been taken considering the location of the promo shots (on whoever's part that handles things like that... perhaps they should've collaborated more with the band before doing the shots). I mean just anything that isn't the generic nu-metal treatment would've been better IMO.

A lot of it seems to have happened while the band were on tour and I suspect burned out to a degree from the constant travel, so they most likely just wanted to get it all over with at that point and fuck off, as Peter so eloquently put it :). I think a bit more planning and less rushing the next time around would go a long way towards giving Opeth the treatment they deserve.

That's right, motherfuckers. Best. Country. In. The. World. You can all lick my balls!

Oh crap, that doesn't bode well for me. Means Mike can just pop over and slap me in the head every time I fuck up on here :tickled:

^ I think that a music video has much more importance in a band's cv than promo shoots, and I assume Peter thinks about the same way judging by what he said... The new promo pics do suck however, except for the ones with the red carpets and the chair, you know...? I like those pics.

2454-1.jpg

Opeth-2005-MJ-0155MM.jpg

annt said:
^ I think that a music video has much more importance in a band's cv than promo shoots, and I assume Peter thinks about the same way judging by what he said... The new promo pics do suck however, except for the ones with the red carpets and the chair, you know...? I like those pics.
Those are good. The one where they're sitting on the grass is forever ruined for me though, by that guy's signature. Not that it was so great to begin with.

Moonlapse said:
Be that as it may, I find it kind of weird how he dislikes the video but defends the promo photos.

i don't think that he was necessarily defending the promo shots...he was using the promo pic thing as an example of the pathetic bickering and sell out accusations from fans. that is different than disliking turnout of the video...if one were to ask him what he thinks of the pics themselves....i dunno...i personally think they are pretty silly too...when i think of opeth, i think cool...not hardass. but hey, at least they weren't stuck under a bridge covered in graffiti.

I've never actually seen the carpet ones before. They're pretty cool, although the second one does look a bit forced, haha. The first has a cool motif going (if that's the right word to use).

I still think nothing will ever beat that smoking shot in Still Life where Mike looks like an 18 year old boy :D. The guys look so burned out in that one that it just suited the feel of the album perfectly.

To be honest, the best way Opeth could make a music video is to record Live footage, say from their SOTU tour. They could have had a few cameramen take footage of them playing the song TGC, and afterwords had the footage edited down to 3 minutes or whatever the standard is. I've seen a few movie bootlegs like The Drapery Falls and Demon of the Fall, and Forest of October that were very great movies. That's how they should have gone. You can't get better than live footage.

And they could take snapshots from various areas of the live footage to use as promo pictures. Honestly if they took control and did something like this, it would have been waaaay better... who agrees?

Thanks for the interview! My suspicions were confirmed...hopefully Opeth will have more control over the next video...and if that happens, I'm sure it will be killer!
annt said:
I like this one a lot.
Lopez reminds me of the Godfather.
"You ask me to do murder..on the day of my daughter's wedding.."