A mix of something a bit different.

John - LCTD

New Metal Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.myspace.com
Hey up guys, i'm a new user, so this is my first post.

Its a mix that i've done of my band, and i'm interested at to hear peoples opinions on it.

I'm a great admirer of Andy Sneaps work and i'm pretty new to the production/mixing game, so any help is much appreiciated.

The mastering is a bit rubbish as i freely admit that i am no mastering engineer.

Heres the mix:
http://media.putfile.com/final-master-widened-01

Thanks again,
John

did you just say the mix is rubbish??

Sounds really, really good John!! i love the technical aspect in this song.. the sound is really heavy as well... when you say you are new to this, i am guessing this is defenitely not your first recording... ;)

Could you eleborate a bit about what you did and how you recorded this?

Cheers!

Ah cheers mate thankyou!

No i'm pretty much happy with the mix, its just i did wat i think is mastering pretty quickly, so i think thats a bit sketchy!

I'm a 2nd year studying popular music, so we gets a bit of studio time, but not as much as i'd like, so its about my 4th multitrack-overdub recording i think...

The tracks were recorded in the studios at my uni (Salford) to my computer running Cubase SL3, and then mixed at home on the said computer, so i luckily got to use some pretty good gear for the tracking aspect of it.

If you want any more info like wat mikes i used and the such, just ask and i'd be more than happy to help.

Take it easy,
John

Thankyou for your welcome! i'v been reading the forum for a bit now, but i'v taken the plunge and decided to contribute...

But anyway, heres the equipment list:

Drums:
A pretty rubbish beginners kit that cost about £300 pounds a fair few years ago (used the kick and toms from that), snare is a pearl maple 14x3 i think.

Kick - Shure Beta 52 and a Studio Projects T3 both through a Focusrite twintrack
Snare - Beyerdynamic M201 top and bottom both through and SPL Gold Mike
Toms - Sennheisser MD421's
OH's - 2x AKG C414's through TLA Ivory series pres
Ride - AKG C1000
Room mics - 2x Oktava MK012's

Bass:
Ibanez Bass through an Ashdown amp, unfortunatly the players amp broke on the day of the session.
Mics were a Shure Beta 52, a Studio Projects T3, both through TLA pres. I also took a DI signal from the amp.

Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 81) and an Ibanez AX (Seymore Duncan Invader) both through Peavey 5150 Mark 1 heads. On each side there are combinations of 3 tracks:
1) Peavey 5150 4x12 mic'd with an SM57 through a TLA pre
2) Marshall Jcm 800 4x12 mic'd with an AKG C414 through a TLA pre
3) Direct signal from a Boss GT6

Vocals:
AKG C414 through a Focusrite Voicemaster pre. Soem of the distorted tracks were done with an SM58 through Fender Frontman 15R amp mic'd up with an Oktava MK012 through an SPL Gold Mike pre.

It was mixed with Cubase SL3 with the standard Plugins, and my monitors are Alesis M1 Active Mk2's

sorry if its a meticulous list, i had to keep a log of the equipment used as the recording was for an assignment.

Cheers for listening,
John

Very good sound and very good tecnical aspect!! For me you must go up the volume of the kick..the rest is perfect!!

Thanks for the compliments and everything!

I know, the standard Cubase plug-ins are a bit rubbish, but being a studenty and all puts me on a rather tight budget! Does anyone know where you can get good and free (if such a thing exists...) VST plug-ins?

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the list John!

Did you use samples on the drums though? snare? kick?

Man, i got to get a peavey 5150 again as soon as i can... i miss it, and i want to dig deeper into the recording of amps again.. POD is good, but for demos mostly, a miced 5150 would do better i think..

It really is an amazing mix sir... really heavy, thick, and great crunch on the guitars as well..

No all the drums are real, so sound replacement. partly because i did not have the plug-ins to do it! I was reading in sound on sound how to do it with markers and hitpoints, but i couldn't get it to work as they said it should....

Yeah, i own a POD V2.0 and as you say, they are great if you want ot get a sound really quickly, but i was amazed at the difference when i first recorded a decent amp in the flesh.

And 5150's are awesome. Clean sound leaves a bit to be desired, but hey, whoever bought a 5150 for the cleans?

Take it easy,
John

Great stuff mate! Nice mix too :) Sounds like Salford have got a lush studio!

Glad to see another fellow Manc student on the board heheh.
I'll have to come & watch you guys play next time your in the city!

James.

Ah cheers James! Yeah the studios are ok, some nice gear to mess with. i actually mixed it at home though, i don't like mixing under pressure! And we are playing at The Attic (above the thirsty scholar) on febuary the 15th if your around. My 21st aswell, should be a fun night! So are you at Manchester Uni then?

And thankyou for the compliments on the snare, it is a nice snare, and our drummer hits it with a fair old whack! could of done with a newer skin on it though, but you've got to work with what you've got. Drummers eh..... (joking, that a whole different thread!)

Take it easy,
John - LCTD x

Ah, quality! The Attic is only down the road from me - I'm at Manchester Met & live pretty much in the centre!

Might cya down there! Adios amigo

Ah cool james, well yeah if you can make it down, then come over and introduce yourself, its always nice to talk to other people interested in recording. Think my band mates get a bit bored of me getting excited over microphones.

An Nuclearass, cheers for the comments. I'd bin listening to norma jean's first album a lot at that time, so i was rather into my natural drum sounds. And i'm not on a computer with speakers that work at the mo, but i'll definitly give that band a listen!

Cheers again,
John - LCTD x

why? its a good mix, kick just needs to be a bit louder, i think when you record next time and you have sampling software you should try and find a tight snare sample, kinda like the one from Despised Icons "The Healing Process" it should fit the mix a bit better, but thats probably cos i hate ringing snares in anything apart from grindcore.