A player's thread in appreciation of Sabbat

v-man

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hello all. I wanted to post here first (after the introduce yourself thread) as this corner of the site is where I first discovered these forums. I first heard Dreamweaver around 90 or 91. The album was and remains absolutely tremendous. My favorite song by far is "Best of Enemies", which involves a discipline that I find fascinating: non-symmetrical/asymmetrical, minimally repetitive, barrage of amazing riffology.

For those of you who play (or make a pretense of it like myself ;) ), I was hoping to have a mini resource page here, particularly since such info is a little harder to come by. Some information I would love to come across or topics I would love to discuss are:

- Equipment and Settings: As a tone hound and gear queer, I love discovering the sources of my influences so that I can reproduce the sound and learn something from the building blocks of tone. Back in the day, it was (and to many of us, still is) the venerable JCM 800, but that required a boost, and everybody did something different (RAT/Tubescreamer -Metallica, 10-band EQ -Slayer, T.C. BLD - Anthrax). I was wondering what JCM 800s were used (2203,2210, etc) , what Sabbat boosted theirs with, and what settings yielded that crunch!

- Music Resources: I don't recall seeing any published music books back in the day. Are there any authorized publishings that are/were for sale, or have any fans made some decent tabs? I am dying to have an "accurate" sheet or tab map of the Dreamweaver recordings, especially Best of Enemies.

- Your own Videos/Recordings: Any covers or youtube demonstrations you or your band has done of Sabbat's work would be a welcome addition too.

So, feel free to add to any of these topics, or throw in your own player-related links or discussions here. I'm looking forward to what develops.

Reactions: vengeance