A Question For Pagans

hyena said:
@mousewings: what is your belief concerning the hierarchy between man and spirits? are spirits more powerful than humans? is man free to act beyond the spirits' will or not? what happens if one disrespects their ancestors by failing to perform the acts you mentioned?
My belief is the living have their own free will. They can do as they wish. The spirits have power over things that happen and, in a sense are more powerful then the living, but they cannot totally control all that happens.

For failing to perform the rituals, it would depend on the spirit himself or herself to do something, if anything to the person.

As usual, only my opinion.

red_beef posted good links to info. :)

Sorry for the double posting... I just wanna ask mousewings about the Chinese culture there at Canada... If you don't mind tell that is.

- red_beef

@epi: you want a simple question, well that's what i'll give you :) what's the Pagan cuture's stance about sex? :D

I am not a part, and choose not to be a part of any organized religion. I am what you could consider a semi-spiritual person. I dont believe in God, Gods, Satan,etc,etc. I just believe that there is a certain spirit to the Earth, and a spirit that holds all life together, and we (humans, animals,trees,etc,etc) are all conected in some way. Why can a human have a soul and not a dog, or a snake? B/c our brains are large enough to concieve what a spirit is?

There is an energy you can feel in everything, from watching a squirrel gathering nuts, a thunder storm, or even the way the wind weeps across the ground. There has to be something, some kind of energy, not a being, but something I can even begin to explain.

Nick(MY belief)

Thankyou for that Epi, I'll give the libraries around here a look...

My traditions at the moment are somewhat unfounded... As I dislike organised religion, I've shyed clear of going to others for instruction, and have mainly relied on threading my own line of thought...

Also, as a Briton - and as such, having both Nordic&A-S and Celtic links and ancestry, theres a slight matter over which pantheon to revere... I suppose I give my worship to both in equal measures...

And correct me if wrong, Epi - but some of your beliefs seem fairly similar to those I've seen on some Satanic sites... coinicidental?

hyena said:
@epi: you want a simple question, well that's what i'll give you :) what's the Pagan cuture's stance about sex? :D
That's not simple! :lol: You got a couple choices here: sex and sexuality.

Sex and sexuality in ritual; sex and sexuality ethics. Clear definitions can be found here: http://realmagick.com/articles/55/155.html (by a pagan) and here: http://www.cbmw.org/resources/articles/sexualmorality.html (strangely enough, by a Christian studying pagan sex and sexuality -vs- ethics).

Sexuality is embraced openly. The way it is embraced - again - depends on the tradition. Some Goddess-worship traditions solely honor the feminine divine sexuality. (Egyptians were fascinated by sex, period. females would bleed, males would gain "religion"; later yet the females would bleed white blood that was nourishment of the babes. Sex was utterly glorified and honored graciously.) Others concentrate between th... (going into the TMI category). Groups have and still do perform rituals skyclad (nude). There are no open or general "laws" concerning the necessity of covering oneself nor just running about butt-naked that I'm aware of; but again, this is the comfort of the coven or group, this isn't exposing oneself for the purpose of having sex. The general outlook is that sexual freedom exists; there is no punishment from any god for exploration as long as sex is used responsibly. Love others as one would love thyself, etc. Love is the bottom line.

There are also references to sex used in rituals and spells themselves. I have YET to meet anyone in ANY circle that actually practices some god-honored orgy. IMO - it's just irresponsible, self-degrading and just plain icky. I'm sure there are pagan swingers out there; I'm just lucky not to have stumbled across them.

Hopefully that provides enough to gain some specific questions - or at least a single direction of what you'd like me to answer. I'm happy to answer, as always; and I'm not dodging the question of sex (altough I am shy and modest to some respects and don't generally kiss and tell ;) ) but if I had a clearer direction or question I'm more than happy to provide what I know - or see what I can gather for you to understand. :)

Reactions: Rei Toei
well, thanks for helping anyway. if you wanted a specific question, what i wanted to know was along of the lines of "does Pagan culture discourage or encourage monogamy?" and "does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?". this is specifically because I seem to understand that there is a strong tie between Paganism and natural cycles. finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is "what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?". this was inspired by a discussion with rahvin, although it had no religious reference at all. and no, by "hedonism" i'm not referring to the cult of niklas sundin as creator of life. :)

Wanderingblade said:
My traditions at the moment are somewhat unfounded... As I dislike organised religion, I've shyed clear of going to others for instruction, and have mainly relied on threading my own line of thought...

Also, as a Briton - and as such, having both Nordic&A-S and Celtic links and ancestry, theres a slight matter over which pantheon to revere... I suppose I give my worship to both in equal measures...

Being where you are, you'd also have better chances at finding pagan resources than I would. I would find myself a bit jealous of that respect. ;) You'll have an easier time stumbling across British traditional paths. Where I am, it's hard filtering out the fluff and nonsense to get to the nitty gritty. :zombie:

And correct me if wrong, Epi - but some of your beliefs seem fairly similar to those I've seen on some Satanic sites... coinicidental?
You're not the first one to note that, actually. I'm definitely not part of any Satanic group of any kind - at least not that i'm aware of ;) I do not understand enough about Satanic teachings, philosophies or fundementals to make or break that comparison either.

hyena said:
well, thanks for helping anyway. if you wanted a specific question, what i wanted to know was along of the lines of "does Pagan culture discourage or encourage monogamy?" and "does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?". this is specifically because I seem to understand that there is a strong tie between Paganism and natural cycles. finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is "what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?". this was inspired by a discussion with rahvin, although it had no religious reference at all. and no, by "hedonism" i'm not referring to the cult of niklas sundin as creator of life. :)
Ah! Much better :) I tend to think my failure to sacrifice enough coffeebeans may have produced my vague-r than usual post earlier. :D

Yes, pagan culture does embrace monogamy and sexual responsibility as a general rule. And yes, there are some that choose to act irresponsibly while using the excuse of a pagan worship. Sex is enjoyed enthusiastically because sexuality is honored and appreciated. With that honor comes responsibility - not out of guilt or order of god(s), but of respect of the self and the sexual partner.

Now, to go even further in your answers - and just for fun and education.. would it be alright to post your questions for an online pagan discussion group to respond to? I'll cheerfully post the answers here so you can gain perspectives of different paths and traditions. :) They LOVE talking about sex, hahaha.. but I'll post your other questions as well if you like. I'm SO enjoying this thread, even if your questions are tough ;)

Now about this Niklas Sundin tradition, is this monotheist or polytheist? Is Niklas the divine? :lol:

rahvin said:
i tend not to have religious references unless i'm talking ex cathedra
:saint:

rahvin.

oh, my. another one who wants to be Pope today. the role is getting popular apparently. i've been discussing this all day with several people. first a muslim friend of mine asks me if one has to be born catholic to become Pope. then another friend who wants to know if there is any chance to become Pope from her current condition of american girl. now this individual implying that dwarves can access the holy see. who am I, the fucking CDF prefect? :D

@epi: i'm not the one fittest to answer your questions about the niklas cult. there's someone who's going to volunteer pretty soon i guess, maybe in private :)

discussion group: sure, go ahead! just bear in mind that i might not be used to the lexicon for the initiated. if some words that a Pagan would use as slang words come up, would you please help to clarify? :)

thanks for appreciating my thread, again.

@rahve: you didn't upset my thread, "you scream deliverance, and i will pave the way". ah, heavy metal!

h (*scurrying back to whatever*)

Epi: On the Satanic issue... I think Satanists as a rule tend to be even more divergant on their beliefs that Pagans, so.... I'm not that surprised.

Also, 1000 odd years of being classed as the same thing in western civilisation has, imo, led to some similar looking mindsets...

@blade: i object. :) i don't see satanism and paganism classed in a single bracket. the most striking fact about satanism that I know is that in the vulgata it is described as a cult of the demons, whereas to me it sounds, from what i've read, a cult of the self.

hyena said:
@epi: i'm not the one fittest to answer your questions about the niklas cult. there's someone who's going to volunteer pretty soon i guess, maybe in private :)
:lol: Excellent! I'll be eagerly checking my e-mail often.

discussion group: sure, go ahead! just bear in mind that i might not be used to the lexicon for the initiated. if some words that a Pagan would use as slang words come up, would you please help to clarify? :)

thanks for appreciating my thread, again.
Faboo! And questions are posted. I'm assuming it will take some time for all the regulars to see the posted questions and answer them so I'll post results this Sunday when I'm more awake and coherent. ;) I am more than happy to clarify terminology complete with references and links if necessary. :)