A Question For Pagans

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get things organized here. I haven't forgotten... here are answers posted to the AOL Pagan forums:

I want to ask those of you who are of Pagan or Neo-Pagan (I don't even know the difference) religion: what are your fundamental beliefs?
they have changed a bit over the years.
my fundamental beliefs are linked to:
1) the prehistoric races of ireland (pre celt) and there is little documentation for this. as a result they are very personal and not a little subjective.
2) an attempt to reconstruct in my own way what hunter cultures have believed universally through the ages.
3) that all consiousness is linked in some way
4) that dieties can be separate and discrete entities yet still be linked to the universal conscious.
5) that existence is a great dance, and the partners are life and death, and the music is played by ourselves.
to participate in the dance one must give and take life in many ways.
6) that existence is composed of an infinite number of quantum realities, that the primal quantum singularity(chaos) coexists in the interstices of these realities. that it is possible to move through these realities in various ways.
whew.
Is there any concept of guilt in any of the possible Pagan interpretations of one's relation with oneself or nature?
no, but there is a concept of personal and interpersonal ethics.
So they honor them (the gods) out of gratitude alone or am I mistaken?
honor them if you so choose.
most of the time they don't give a shit. they are gods after all.
And what is the relationship between one individual's behavior and the reaction (if any) he or she hypothesizes to it on the part of his or her chosen pantheon?
you lost me.
How do the Pagans interpret death of living things?
as a part of the great dance (this pagan does)
What's the Pagan culture's stance about sex?
uh huh uh uh, do wop a do
cant get enough of dat ugly bump...
does Pagan culture discourage or encourage monogamy?
whatever
and "does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?".
sex is one aspect of the great dance.
one should shuffle one's feat, when they feels the beat...
Finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is "what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?".
moderation in all things, and attempt to achieve balance in the dance.
sometimes i likes LOTS of moderation though.
-morriganson
-----------------------
I want to ask those of you who are of Pagan or Neo-Pagan (I don't even know the difference) religion: what are your fundamental beliefs?

A tough one to answer, because I'm constantly learning and/or relearning, or subtracting something else. But basically:
I believe that all life is interconnected. The earth itself is divine. I am an agnostic at this point in my growth, but I can see and feel divinity in everything around me; everything has a life and rhythm all it's own. I believe in personal responsibilty. I use magic to assert that I'm running my own railroad. Ultimately I choose what my life will be like instead of adhering to some vague concept like fate or karma or kismet. I think that if we screw it up the first time we can count on coming back again.
Is there any concept of guilt in any of the possible Pagan interpretations of one's relation with oneself or nature?
Guilt is a non-productive emotion and I refuse to spend any time trifling with it.
So they honor them (the gods) out of gratitude alone or am I mistaken? And what is the relationship between one individual's behavior and the reaction (if any) he or she hypothesizes to it on the part of his or her chosen pantheon?
Skipping this one for obvious reasons.
As a part of life.
What's the Pagan culture's stance about sex? does Pagan culture discourage or encourage monogamy?
That's entirely up to the individual. You're shading off into ethics, and everyone goes by their own code of "right" and "wrong." Why should pagans be any different?
If you're asking me personally--I'll be shakin' it until I'm ninety. I love men and I love sex. Exclusivity depends on the relationship and the people involved.
Finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?
Hey--whatever floats your boat.
-Xiola
--------------------
Any answers I give on this one are, obviously, from my own path....namely, my own odd form of Celtic Revivalism. There is, of course, no intent to speak for anyone else...even for other Celts.
Honor and serve the gods.
Truth, honor, and duty above all else.
Know who you are and where you come from.
Family and community as the center of religious and secular life.
Know your place in the natural order and conduct yourself accordingly.
There is a lot more, of course, but that at least gives you the central principles.
There isn't guilt in the same sense that there is in Christian belief. Though there is definitely duty and responsibility for oneself and one's actions.
So they honor them (the gods) out of gratitude alone or am I mistaken?
I honor the gods because it is the right thing to do. I honor and serve the gods because they merit my honor and service.
And what is the relationship between one individual's behavior and the reaction (if any) he or she hypothesizes to it on the part of his or her chosen pantheon?
The reactions of the gods aren't something I need to hypothesize about. They are more than capable of making themselves clear, whether they are pleased or displeased.
Die, go to Tir na N'og, live a life there, come back for another life here. Repeat. (This, BTW, is an extremely individualistic interpretation of Celtic myth. There isn't any support for it in scholarly circles; in fact there is a great deal of academic interpretation standing against it. This is merely how I have come to understand things, via my own reading of the myths and my own contacts with the gods and with my ancestors.)
Consensual sex between competent adults can be a very good thing indeed.
Celtic tradition allowed for polygamy. Personally, I tend to be mono-amorous, but that's just a matter of personal preference.
and "does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?".
Both.
Finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is "what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?".
Pleasure is not a bad thing at all, provided it doesn't interfere with one's ability to fulfill one's responsibilities.
-Armagh
-------------------
Not going to put IMO, in my views, etc. throughout this. Just making the disclaimer now that this is how I feel and I speak only for myself.
Okay, for this week, this is what I believe: That there are multiple gods. They are as individual as you or I, perhaps more so. That there is one emanation that flows through all things (humans, gods, plants, earth, every molecule of every thing). The emanation is conscious light. Or Ptah is dreaming us all, including the gods.
You need to take responsibility for messing up, if you have done so. No passing the buck allowed, no excuses (but understanding is good), and work to make sure that if you blunder badly you learn from the experience so you can avoid making the same mistake twice.
It's about living in Ma'at - simply put, correct behavior.
Guilt is a waste of time. It's only purpose is to spur you to action and change. Otherwise, drop it.
So they honor them (the gods) out of gratitude alone or am I mistaken? And what is the relationship between one individual's behavior and the reaction (if any) he or she hypothesizes to it on the part of his or her chosen pantheon?
I honor them because they deserve honor. I respect them because they deserve respect.
I try to act in a way that would make Tehuti and Ma'at pleased. I don't always succeed at this. Making Sekhemt pleased is equally important, and harder to acheive - righteous anger, not swiping - hard balance for me to acheive.
Part of the life of living things.
What's the Pagan culture's stance about sex? does Pagan culture discourage or encourage monogamy?" and "does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?". this is specifically because I seem to understand that there is a strong tie between Paganism and natural cycles.
I am monogamous, because that is the right way for me. Thankfully my husband thinks it's the right way for him too. :) This is not due to a moral stance, but because it is what is right for us.
Sex is for enjoyment and sharing and connection. If it makes a life, good if that's what's desired. If it doesn't make a life, that's okay too.
Pleasure is good. Balance in your life is not only good, but what you're going to get regardless.
-Mntlyun
---------------------
Well, I'm neither, but I *am* a Leo, and as such I simply cannot help but add my $.02.

My fundamental beliefs (she began as if writing an essay for 8th grade english...) are similar to most already listed in that I believe in following my own guidance and that I am ultimately the one in charge of my choices.
I think the area where my own beliefs would begin to differ is that I believe there comes a time when my personal choices and opinions must be set aside for one reason or another. More specificly... there are some things (my two little monsters) who come first. *I* may honestly think it's about farkin' time for a new pair of jeans (and, in fact, it is), however, my son needs new shoes. Guess who gets shoes. On a more "spiritual" level, I've been considering going to some form of christian church with my husband (a Catholic) and my wonderful unbaptised little heathens, because I can step aside from my own feelings and beliefs and realize that it just might be better for them to grow up within preset boundaries. (yeah I'm about to go on a tangant. Hang on!) I think it's hard enough today to grow up without having to figure out what the Gods want you to do, or even if they exist. If my kids eventually grow to question what they're taught in a church, well woo hoo!! Obviously I will enjoy that and enjoy helping them find their own answers. But for now, I think we'll go with the stability and tradition of an older more "valid" (shaddup) religion. At least on the surface anyhow. Heh. If only dodging Eris was so easy.
Hey, wasn't I answering questions? Oh yeah! Back to that!
Guilt can be a mighty handy thing. I personally feel that guilt truly plays a part only when you deliberately do less out of laziness or apathy. Hmmm. That doesn't make much sense. Let's try to make that a wee bit easier to understand. Hey, guess what! I think I need a nap. Whoops, tangent again. Sorry.
I think that if you bother to do something, you should put your best effort into doing it. Giving less than your best intentionally is just cause for guilt, but only you (or your Gods) can truly say when this guilt is in need.
Personally I don't honor any particular God or Goddess or grouping thereof. I am on nodding (and ducking) aquaintance with a few, but I don't feel I owe them any sort of service, nor do they owe me any sort of service. As for the second part, I'm not sure I dig your meaning, but I think you're asking if you think we think our dieties are pleased or disappointed with us, based on what we've been mucking about with. (Dig my bad grammar!!! HA!)
It happens. Get over it. Eternal life would be eternally boring. Imagine having to get to know a whole new set of friends every 50 or so years. Or worse, having to be stuck with the same set of in-laws (or crazy Mommas) for all eternity. No thanks! I'm all about death baby!
Casual sex seems to be more acceptable within "pagan" groups.\
Yes. Paganism tends to preach the radical concept of personal responsibility and freedom of choices. Go Paganism.

does Pagan culture present sex as an instrument for the continuation of life mainly or does it accept it as a means of enjoyment un-linked to giving life also?
Someone would have to be a fool not to understand that life can be created when the right partners have sex. And yeah, it feels pretty good either way.
finally, what all of this was supposed to lead to is "what's the Pagan attitude towards hedonism?".
Many people who label themselves as "pagan" are more truly and accurately labelled "hedonists". There are far too many these days (and maybe there always were and it never annoyed me before. I dunno) who are looking for a quick feel-good fling and have decided that this group of religions/beliefs is the ideal place to find people of loose morals. Personally I see nothing wrong with indulging yourself from time to time, but making a habit of indulgance for the sake of the sheer pleasure of it is a bit... well... tacky. There's quite a bit to be said for a measure of self restraint.
It is my personal (am sleep deprived) opinion that hedonism is overrated and more people need to grow the heck up and taste the concept of taking responsibility for their lives and choices and not doing "whatever feels good".
-Bella
------------------------
Now you see what I mean about the varying traditions. :lol:

i read only the parts about the fundamental beliefs, and i'd like to point out that some of them really lack inner consistency. the others are basically indicating general fideistic behaviours that i have heard called "being a pagan" as often as i have heard called "being a satanist", "being a wiccan", "being an aesthete" and possibly "being a rampaging moose from planet pluto".
i'll get back to this later today when i come to terms with the fact that i can't sleep standing up. because the gods decree so.

rahvin.

@Epi: thanks a lot for taking the survey and posting the results, I feel important having all these people reply to my questions ;)

Oh, and I have a new one: why the bu are pagans mostly women?

I need to ponder the answers and then I will have some points to make. But let me point out that

______
Yes.
-------

was, if anything, a bit obscure.

@rahvin: ah, rampaging mooses... there's progressively fewer of them on this planet, and I had been wondering for a while about the reason - now that Pluto (in Italian, that's the name of Mickey Mouse's dog) comes into play, everything is much clearer. and you must remember that Pluto (again, MM's dog) was a roman deity too. did they use to worship dogs? or mooses? i am deeply confused.

anyway, you're corrupted by an overdose of logic :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k

Hmm, I have something called The Internet Book Of
Shadows, from what I saw it was about this, I will
take a look when I have time.

Being non-religious/non-believer/atheist puts in
wayyyy at the bottom of my list, so don't expect this
anytime soon ;)

rahvin said:
i read only the parts about the fundamental beliefs, and i'd like to point out that some of them really lack inner consistency. the others are basically indicating general fideistic behaviours that i have heard called "being a pagan" as often as i have heard called "being a satanist", "being a wiccan", "being an aesthete" and possibly "being a rampaging moose from planet pluto".
i'll get back to this later today when i come to terms with the fact that i can't sleep standing up. because the gods decree so.

rahvin.
I didn't say I'd post to defend their beliefs. I can only defend mine here. I posted hyena's questions and posted the answers here so she'd have a bit of variety as far as different traditions. There ya go.

Wicca falls under the Pagan umbrella, btw. ;)

Falling moose wouldn't fall under any umbrella.

Where are the answers posted lacking consistency to you? And please clarify: consistency as in REASON or consistency as in REPETITION. I can better answer to your post if I understood better.

Episode666 said:
I didn't say I'd post to defend their beliefs. I can only defend mine here. I posted hyena's questions and posted the answers here so she'd have a bit of variety as far as different traditions. There ya go.

i wasn't holding you responsible for any of the statements i read, they were the only object of my comments.

Wicca falls under the Pagan umbrella, btw. ;)

Falling moose wouldn't fall under any umbrella.

why would mooses from pluto fall now? their descent might be perfectly controlled, you know. seems like you're victim of outdated beliefs concerning alien animals here, huh? :p :p

Where are the answers posted lacking consistency to you? And please clarify: consistency as in REASON or consistency as in REPETITION. I can better answer to your post if I understood better.

consistency as in they contradict themselves. take the first series of answers. this person believes that all consciousness is linked, yet there are separate deities who don't even give a shit about human behaviour. also, there's never enough sex in his/her life, yet moderation is the key.

another is an "agnostic" who can "see and feel divinity" everywhere, which is the exact opposite of the definition of agnosticism.
many of them say guilt is a waste of time, then proceed to define responsibility as being able to make up for your blunders whenever they happen, which is indeed a very popular part of guilt - unless we're talking about sitting in a corner punishing yourself, but that's self-pity, not guilt.
then there's the woman who says christian religion is overall more "valid" but hopes not to upset eris - not exactly a stable pillar in the christian pantheon, to my knowledge.

what does not strike me as lacking coherence, strikes me as being washed-out and generalized and basic common sense that doesn't really need a multitude of gods or magic or weird names to stand on its feet. there are popular moral standards that would fit in any religion i know, or even outside of all of them without the apparatus of believing there are gods in my coat-hanger or something. so the idea i'm getting out of this is paganism appeals to people who have a fairly mainstream set of individualistic beliefs and at the same time like superstitious paraphernalia a lot.

rahvin.

ah, the advantages of being non-denominational, rahvin dearest... :lol: i am green with envy