A question to those of you with bluray

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
anyone care to list any films that they have on bluray or that are at least released that are like... more arty? I'm not really into action films, I tend to go for shit that's more art than action, without meaning to sound up my own ass
but bluray seems to be all about good looking, good sounding 90 minute explosion-fests, and i just wanna know there's plenty more shit out there thats worth spending my money on

criteria is that the movie isnt just a shitty explosion-fest and is a noticably better LOOKING and better SOUNDING movie.
for example, how is the good the bad and the ugly on bluray compared to dvd?
fear and loathing?
the godfather?
apocalypse now redux? (is this even out on BR btw? and is it really a significant improvement visually over the dvd if so? this is one of the best looking films of all time on DVD as it is.. can it really be noticably better?)

im getting a ps3 for christmas and one of the main reasons is bluray (along with the kickass exclusives, demons souls finally tipped it for me..) so yeah
i will have to play some shit online with you peeps on here with PS3's

but yeah, bluray shit gogogo

Its just an all around better medium. More extra content.... better visuals and audio... its just superior in every way to the DVD.

i love great artistic films with depth to the writing, etc. more than special fx vehicles... and sometimes the two converge... Brazil, anyone? but if i can't find enough of those... and i can't..., i'll happily fill my remaining movie-watching time with big, special FX explosion-fests.

in short, if a movie lacks story depth, i'll still be happy as long there's explosions, car chases, some gunfights, hand-to-hand combat, and a few titties. ;)

i'm really digging blu-ray. i don't buy dvd's anymore.

Yeah blu ray ftw :) The HD DVD clearance sale I used as well. Got a Toshiba hd dvd player for under 40 $ and some high quality hd dvds for under 3 $ (!) This is unbelievable quality for almost free. Living room - blu ray, bedroom - hd-dvd...loving it :D

I'd love to see the following on BR

The Matrix (sucker for that movie)
House of Flying Daggers
Wall-E
What Dreams May Come
Blade
Aliens

Dvd´s look fantastic on normal TVs

to have this amazingly picture on a HD (full or ready) TV you need a bluray player....
Because the definition of the modern TVs is much higher then on the old one....thats the reason DVDs look like shit on my LG HD TV

agreed murphdawg ;D
and yeah damian, fear and loathing is a feast for the eyes so ill be picking that up for sure

so it's pretty much eunanimous (i cant fucking spell) that bluray is a really significant improvement over dvd?
fuckin a.

i saw that mulholland drive got a hd-dvd release, no bluray yet, what the fuck!
that film fucking blows me away visually and thats just on dvd, imagine how fuckign good it must look in high-def
:D

and felix, i never saw apocalyptico, it looks good though, i will pick that up too

hows watchmen on bluray? hows the visuals compared to the dvd as well?

I do love blue ray. But has anyone noticed a sort of "graininess" in lower lit scenes? It's almost like the high definition shows that not enough light was used OR that some sort of goofy effect was used after the fact to get the scene dark.

I think that's probably either due to your TV or the specific movie you were watching; FWIW, I've found that some older movies (meaning, not released in the past 5 years or so) released on Blu Ray don't look that much better than their DVD counteparts ("The Fugitive", for example), probably because Blu Ray really heightens the increased contrast and detail of today's films. But I'm sure there are exceptions, since as long as the original film is intact, it's inevitably gonna be a more accurate representation when viewed on Blu Ray as opposed to DVD! Pretty much any recent movie is guaranteed to be leaps and bounds better on Blu Ray over DVD, though :cool:

and felix, i never saw apocalyptico, it looks good though, i will pick that up too

Yeah Gareth, tell me what you think about this movie then. We all know, Mel Gibson is crazy as fuck, but this is one of the most brutal and awesome made movies of all time. I also think it´s pretty unique. I´d like to discuss about this masterpiece!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypto

The blu ray is one of the best imo.

I think that's probably either due to your TV or the specific movie you were watching; FWIW, I've found that some older movies (meaning, not released in the past 5 years or so) released on Blu Ray don't look that much better than their DVD counteparts ("The Fugitive", for example), probably because Blu Ray really heightens the increased contrast and detail of today's films. But I'm sure there are exceptions, since as long as the original film is intact, it's inevitably gonna be a more accurate representation when viewed on Blu Ray as opposed to DVD! Pretty much any recent movie is guaranteed to be leaps and bounds better on Blu Ray over DVD, though :cool:

I'm specifically referencing the latest batman (2008?).

I don't get the luxury of watching in full 1080p, and have to instead watch at 720p (who cares though it still looks fucking great).

I have a Samsung LCD.

they have fear and loathing on blu ray? i need to get out from under this rock and go buy it...do they have boondock saints too? also anyonek now if a second boondock is being released?