A question to those of you with bluray

My 32" LCD can actually do 1080p, but only when using HDMI for some reason (not a problem, since that's what I use to connect both my PS3 and 360), and I will say that there's a noticeable difference in the clarity of small text between 720p and 1080p; otherwise though, I agree, it's imperceptible (and I'd say the small text thing is really only relevant with video games, not movies)

The bluray looks fantastic on the 720p HD tv´s because it has more pixels then needed!!!!
A lot of blurays look like shit on 1080p HD tv´s because of the bad compression!!! (for example 30 days of night)

Don't a lot of the cheaper 1080p TVs have a low contrast ratio? Also, I've never been hugely impressed by Samsung's HD TVs...

Dude Samsung is one of the best companies for LCD´s. All apple displays are build by samsung.

Also the contrast ratio is marketing shit......but dont take this wrong, nothing against you AEL89!!!!

The Samsung thing...that's just from my experience; I've never looked at them and thought 'wow that looks really good'. Then agin, I've never watched blu-ray on them though and that's probably the big test for HD TVs, yes? As you can tell I don't have a clue about TVs, I just go by what I think looks good ;)

My dad has work client who knows TVs through his line of work and he also said Samsung aren't the best value TVs out there - Philips and Panasonic are meant to be really good. If I remember correctly, Philips do a lot of stuff with Bang & Olufsen.

When I was video games testing, most of the TV nerds there said contrast ratio is an important factor? We need a TV guru to clear this all up!

Well I don`t know how it is nowadays, but when I got my Samsung some years ago it was one of the best rated LCDs out there. It was the first to have all the things that are standard now like HDMI1.3, 24P,that wide color thing, true scan etc.
Early models had the "clouding" problem caused by the backlight like some Sonys (same factory) though.

OH SHIT. Yesterday I was at the Saturn store (hamburg) and I saw it. LG bluray player with usb input for 99€. One minute later I bought it and went to the vid store and got MAX PAYNE - directors cut.

Amazing how the bluray brings the full power of my Lg 32" hd-tv to shine!!!!!

The definition is mind blowing. (It feels just unreal to see every hair, every water drop) it feels like you see the post-production (sometimes the pic´s feels like they are painted)

But what realy blows me away was the hugh colour amount and the unbelievable contrast.

But I realy dont know if I love or hate the uncompressed sound. It is just so dynamic now. Dialogs are sometimes soooo quiet and gun-fights so fucking loud!!!!

My neighbours are going to kill me:)

The Samsung thing...that's just from my experience; I've never looked at them and thought 'wow that looks really good'. Then agin, I've never watched blu-ray on them though and that's probably the big test for HD TVs, yes? As you can tell I don't have a clue about TVs, I just go by what I think looks good ;)

Actually anything via HDMI cable is a good test. I have High def cable as well (via HDMI cable) and it looks fantastic, sometimes to good actually (some people on the news don't look so great in high def).

When I was video games testing, most of the TV nerds there said contrast ratio is an important factor? We need a TV guru to clear this all up!

It's not... there isn't a standard for contrast ratio, so the specs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (and how they measure it). Most manufacturers use full on (pure white) to full off (pure black) contrast ratios, which is why you see 10,000:1 a lot nowadays... but no one watches pure black or pure white screens.

If you are watching TV in a room that is well lit you will not see much of a difference between contrast ratios... it's in a room that is dark where you will see a major difference.

see
thats what makes me not want bluray
max payne and transformers 2? insultingly bad movies IMO.

david lynch needs to pull his finger out and release mulholland drive on bluray, it got a HDDVD release >: (

This is true. But I don't have much in the way of pennies! haha.
It might be worth getting one though if I can sell a few old games. it IS mulholland drive after all. Would be nice to see a film or two in HD.
infact quite a lot of Lynch stuff seems to have been released on hddvd, which is cool.

but presumably the guy digs the idea of his films being in high definition, so why arent they on bluray yet? >: (