• ReValver

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
Just been dickin around this morning, made a quick clip to compare TSE X50 and ReValver's 6505 model.

ReValver: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/TSE VS REVALVER/ReV.mp3

TSE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/TSE VS REVALVER/TSE.mp3

My first impressions are that ReValver is tighter, but TSE is 'bigger' and airier. Although I have to say, in order to get these two sounding even remotely close I had to use different impulses, because they're that different. ReValver is using a Pres8 where as TSE is using a PresHigh. PresHigh is too sharp for ReValver, the notes get lost and it becomes too thin, and Pres8 is too muddy/dull for TSE, which is... bizarre, since they're emulating the same amp.

Anyway, comments/preferences? I'm leaning towards ReValver simply because these days I'm digging quite dry/dark tones, as I think they draw out more of the note fundamental. Having said that, I feel TSE sits in the mix a lot more naturally.

**EDIT**

Another comparison added just to see how they stack up on chuggier moments:

TSE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/TSE VS REVALVER/TSE 2.mp3

ReValver: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/TSE VS REVALVER/ReV 2.mp3

Did you compare the 6505+ model and the X50 with "Red ch.mod" turned off? that is the "right" way to do this comparison.
Anyway, I think Revalver is a bit overpriced compared to what it does, as long as the freeware can compete with the big commercial one I'm satisfied ;)

I'd have to +1 on Revalver. Must be my fucked ears, but the pinch harmonics pop out more on the Revalver test!

Nice to hear some thrashy stuff!!! I like the bite of Revalver here. Seems most of the free sims have that 400hz thing going on i hate.

Would you mind sharing some di´s/midi. I would be pleased to run it through my little cobra stack:)

Did you compare the 6505+ model and the X50 with "Red ch.mod" turned off? that is the "right" way to do this comparison.

No, because the 6505+ model in ReValver is an absolutely non-usable atrocity to amp simulation :lol:I've never come across such a bad simulation of an amp ever in my life, and there's no real reason for it.

In real life I tend to prefer the 6505+/5150II model, but for some weird reason Peavey thought they would make the + model on ReValver NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING. It's a soggy, wet, mushy, lifeless, hollow heap of shit.

Anyway, I think Revalver is a bit overpriced compared to what it does, as long as the freeware can compete with the big commercial one I'm satisfied ;)

It's massively overpriced, and the only reason I got it (I only have the HP version) is because I tried the demo and liked the 6505 model (but only with impulses). ReValver as a standalone product is actually quite awful. If I didn't already own ReValver before you made X50 I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it, let's put it that way ;)

Nice to hear some thrashy stuff!!! I like the bite of Revalver here. Seems most of the free sims have that 400hz thing going on i hate.

Would you mind sharing some di´s/midi. I would be pleased to run it through my little cobra stack:)

Yeah man I'll try getting it all together in the next few days :headbang:

Mattayus: Put up the 6505+ Revalver model, you shouldn't compare my 6505+ model to the revalver 6505 model and call it a comparison:p The MOD I have on the X50 is a popular 6505+ mod, but not enough to call it a 6505 model in my opinion, because there are still differences between them after the mod:p I don't think it's fair

Ah fair enough, I didn't realise that!
Although to be honest, I didn't really put this up to see which is the better sim of a 5150, but literally just to see which one fits this mix better, as I am deciding which to use for my band's demo EP :) I may just end up reamping anyway but we'll see...

Also, I just put up a new clip ^ with a few new settings, and to see how they compare in a chuggier/slower mix

I honestly liked the TSE better, it indeed sounds much more natural whereas the revalver sounded thinner (like a metalzone type of sound) I guess its a matter of taste but the tse sounded fuller to me. Thanks for the comparisons.

Wait, what?! I never said anything about DI's you cunts!

But yeah here you go - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian/TSE VS REVALVER/Di.rar

Also this is the setting I used for ReValver

6505.JPG

That on one side, and unboosted on the other side (with slightly different settings to compensate for the lack of screamer)

I know ive already commented but....Chuggs= Revalver. Faster melodic metal = TSE. For some reason in the 1st riff, the revalver sounds too thin, piercing, digital. Whereas the TSE sounds much more natural and airy. But in the chuggier mix revalver is much more audible whereas the tse is mid heavy.