a sex game stoked by drugs and black magic.- There's a whiff of freedom as Knox await

I get why these things get on your goat.

I agree that stereotypes have some basis in reality, but I'll say again that I think they are down to clashing world-views and philosophies and that, I think, you're taking it WAY too seriously.

I also think you're guilty of over-exaggerating and over-simplifying. If you ask me if I like Americans? As concept, no, I don't. Do I like individual Americans? Fuck yeah. There are about 20 Yanks :))) from this form alone that I think are wonderful folk. Same goes for Italians. I have Italian friends, but as a nation I wouldn't say we get on too well.

You're thinking in BIG concepts. Which is rather American.

:D

Get ready - long post ahead. If it's too long for you to read then your opinion is moot and I shall disregard it.

---

I don't hate anyone. I'm not racist against anyone (Jesus Christ, I married a fucking Italian). I'm just very vocal about things I see as injustices, whether they be Italian, American, English, or other nationalities. I stand up for Americans when the local population is sick of them here. I try to explain to everyone that the military population is not a real representation of the American citizen. People ask me every day in class, "Is America really like this?" I tell them the truth, that there IS a part of the population that is nutty, far-right and that there is an equally nutty, far-left as well as a centrist point of view. I tell them that while the US is lacking in several key places in respect to the rest of the world, it's STILL the best place to start a business or to work. It's STILL a place where individualism reigns.

I'm also very vocal about many Italians systems and I'm very critical of them as well, it's just no one here would understand what I'm talking about or would be able to relate to them without living here. I detest their pacifism. I detest their attitude of "it's not my problem". I detest their bureaucracy. I detest their strangulation of entrepreneurship. I detest their dishonesty in their government (that's pretty much every gov't, however). I detest their tight shirts. I detest their incessant whining. I detest their apprehension for change and aversion to modernization. I detest their working system, how they constantly whine about never being paid enough money yet they don't want to give up their fixed contracts where it's virtually impossible to be fired. I detest how they speak out about how they want to move towards a system more like the US, but they don't want to give up their 30 days per year paid vacation. I detest how they constantly whine about how you can't get anything done here yet they strike and protest in the middle of the week. There are lots of things I can't stand about this place, but you have to live here to understand it all. Otherwise it's all just Greek to you.

I'm also very vocal about the fact that Americans tend to be blind and hypocritical, especially in the media. I'm very vocal about the fact that there's less anti-Americanism in Iraq than in London. I'm very vocal about the fact that tourists tend to be disrespectful when they travel here; not all of them, but a large number of them. If you don't like that I'm vocal about it, that's one thing. If you deny it exists and assume I'm just ranting without a direction, you're either blind or you're deluded. Nationalism is for suckers.

You know what? I fought for my country. I went to war for her and watched friends die for her, both while serving in a warzone with them and seeing them come back in coffins. I served her for 9 fucking years and while I'm very critical of her policies and frustrated with the lack of foresight and respect of her citizens, I'm not somehow being disrespectful because I have unpopular opinions. I'm critical of the US and US citizens because I DO love my country and it angers me to see it all go to pot (not the drug, hehe) due to simple lack of will to understand and think critically. We're not all fat, obnoxious, and stupid. I've never said we were and I never will and it angers me when people treat us like that. However, in order to change other people's opinions, we must show them by our actions that we AREN'T all like that...but it's really hard to change opinions when we travel abroad and you see so much ignorance. It doesn't make me ashamed to be American, but it makes me sad to see our society reduced to the level it is. When people shout at political rallies, "LET HIM DIE!!!!" then something is really, really wrong in our country and I boil over inside because I didn't give up 9 years of my life to protect people as ignorant and despicable as that. You can't say it's just a small minority, either because if it were we wouldn't be in the trouble we're in today. Freedom of speech is a right and you don't have to earn it in the US; it's given to you. However, if you HAD to earn the right to say what you want about your country, I'd say I've earned it more than anyone else here. That doesn't mean you cannot disagree with me or cannot even hate me for it, but you can't say I don't deserve the right to say it.

I've traveled all over the world and I've NEVER, NOT ONCE, EVER been disrespectful or been in any sort of confrontation with the indigenous people. From Europe to Asia, I go out of my way to be respectful to their culture and way of life. I don't go around apologizing for being American because people who do that infuriate me, but at the same time I'm sensitive to their sensibilities and try my hardest to promote a good example of American people as tourists and citizens. It just frustrates me when all that is for naught when the guy right next to me is ruining it for all of us, and it happens over and over and over again until I just can't take it anymore. If I can travel and promote a good impression of Americans then so can everyone, but the sad fact is that a very large number of Americans who travel abroad are rude, pushy, annoying, and disrespectful. Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the truth. You should be jumping on them for acting in such a way. It should infuriate you because IT REALLY DOES AFFECT YOU, whether you realize it or not.

People like Lynn don't really bother me because whatever they say is rooted in nationalistic ignorance and you just have to consider the source. What a bright, shining example you are to us all.

Steve, I'm sorry if I've offended you. I come across as being quite abrasive, which is really my way of opening people's eyes with blunt force trauma. I stand by everything I've said thus far and really don't know how else I can put it. Again, it's not anything personal. However, I'm really tired of fighting to change our perception when it's one step forward and ten steps back abroad. As a whole, there's not that much anti-Americanism abroad, but it IS there in places like England and it's there to stay. My friend is stationed there right now and every day she walks her kid to the bus stop for school and all the English kids ride by in their school bus and give her the finger every single day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Now they're raising another generation to hate Americans. This is wrong, plain and simple. Were she Muslim or black, there would be a national outcry, but because she's American it's largely overlooked. Don't tell me I'm exaggerating this because I'm not.

Honestly, I don't know what else to say. If you want to change my opinion of the world and of our country, then I need reasons to do so and so far there have been very few. I'm not saying this because I hate Americans or hate being American; I'm saying this because it's frustrating and I'm tired of it all and I want it to change. A student today asked me if Americans dislike Canadians because of what he's seen on South Park. I responded that we tease them and they tease us but there is no bad blood between us whatsoever, there's no animosity at all. However, I wish I could say that about the English attitude towards us. The Australians, while somewhat critical of us as well, tend to be very amicable, as well as the Irish and Scots. I've yet to see light ribbing come from the English...so far it's more like mean-spirited behavior verging on bullying.

So far all of you with the exception of Derek have simply attacked me for being over-aggressive in my opinions. You still haven't refuted my claims, only wagged your fingers at me, saying how disrespectful I'm being. I'm not being disrespectful, I'm simply relaying to all of you how I feel on the matter. If you can come up with a reason why I shouldn't feel this way, I'd really like to hear it. So far, Derek has been the only one to give me pause. Maybe I am oversimplifying things. However, I feel the need to say again that I'm not broad brushing anyone, I'm simply giving my opinion based on my experience with said cultures and people. If you disagree with my opinion, please tell me why and give evidence to the contrary. If you disagree simply because I hurt your feelings, then maybe you should look harder into what I'm saying and try to see it from my point of view because I've already seen the world from yours.

Chris, your hate towards people outside of your land is really sad. I do hope that if we meet one day, you don't think I am fat, obnoxious, egotistical, hateful, racist and a shit talker. From everything I've read, you have had nothing but hate toward countries outside of where you live. You took what started off as a thread about the Knox case to a hateful, self-centered rant about how England, Ireland, Americans are annoying trash. Really Chris? Really? Break news, your shit stinks just as bad as everyone around you and that is just how it will be. You are generalizing everyone into this category of selfishness, hatred and annoyance. Why can't you be amicable? Have you been mistreated by everyone around you so bad that you have to act this way? You sound like someone from each nationality has, by force, come into your home and beat you with tree branch. I am part Italian Chris, and what you are saying is so negative it is shameful.

We get it, and you have done this more than once on this forum. You can't stand Americans and other nations and yet you keep bringing it up.

*hands Chris an American Beer*

Chill out.

I'm going to reply to you personally because I think you deserve it and I think you haven't really understood what I've said.

First off, I've never said anything derogatory about the Irish. I love them. I even said that I've noticed in certain parts of England the people are fantastic. I've worked with UK forces and, again, a better bunch of people there is NOT.

What I, as well as Derek, have said is that the English really do have some sort of innate disdain for Americans. Whether they actually HATE us or not is impossible to determine, but there IS a very, very big anti-American sentiment in England. To deny this just means you're either blind or simply don't know. I'm able to say this because I haven't noticed this anywhere else I've been. All over Europe and Asia, I've yet to see the level of disdain for Americans that I've seen from the English. In fact, I'd go so far to say that everywhere else, while there may be a very extreme minority that is anti-American, even then it's cherry-picked. I haven't noticed this from the English, only blanket disdain. Some more so than others, of course, but it's still prevalent.

That said, I work with lots of English teachers from all over: Australia, England, America, Ireland, etc. and we all get along faaaabulouthly. We all get along because we have mutual respect for each other. I'm not painting everyone as being a certain way, but at the same time I'm not denying the simple fact that in some of these places there are serious attitude problems toward other cultures. They tease Americans about having no sense of humor and I tease them about being uppity snobs, and that's one thing. However, many people from some of these places are not as understanding and open-minded as these. If I point out this fact, it's not that I'm being racist or whatever against them; it's because I'm telling you my experience.

London and New York are the two capitals of the world, so naturally there's going to be rudeness and friction among the people. They're both melting pots. I'm just saying that some of that rudeness transcends metropolitan living and is more rooted in anti-Americanism or snobbery while abroad. Again, this has been my experience. I'm not saying everyone's like that, but I am saying that a large chunk of people are. It brings me no pleasure to say so, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it because they're the ones doing it, not me.

You may not like what I have to say, Steve, and I can't blame you for it. It's nothing personal, just like the people protesting that American forces should go home. Do they hate individual Americans? Of course not! They just want to see a change. I'm simply protesting, that's all.

I think you're a really cool guy and I hope you haven't taken offense, but if you have I'm sorry for offending you. However, I'm not going to apologize for anything I've said and I stand by everything I've said thus far.

If all of that is too much for you people to read, then just know that I stand behind everything I've said. If you have any problem with that, please actually read my last two posts as they should clarify my position further.

There's really nothing left to be said on my part. I can't explain my position any further or more clearly. If you have questions or accusations, I'd be more than happy to hear them but I think you'll find any answers to my opinions in the last two walls of text. Make some tea/coffee if you need to stay awake while reading.

I shaved while I read that. No coffee or tea.

You're entitled to your own opinions, which doesn't have to be stated, but I do sit here a little surprised at your conception of anti-Americanism in England. Not because I don't believe you about your experiences, though. I say that as a person who has previously lived in London, the heart of the UK, for years, and never experienced any such attitude in all his social or academic meetings. Not a single, solitary one, aside from a run-in with a French girl at a coffee shop who told me to 'go back to your guns and violence'. That's it. I have loads of English friends; a good friend of mine that I work with here in China is English, and he does have a mildly unflattering opinion of America, but at the same time he isn't anti-American in his attitude. I think the distinction is worth making, because there's a difference between having some negative opinions about a place or even a group of people but not being anti 'them' in your life. Maybe that's what Derek meant by you 'simplifying' things. If anything, the UK is anti everyone recently, given their disgustingly stringent new immigration laws. Oh and the UK is definitely anti-poverty, as in, if you aren't rich, they don't want you around. Or at least they go out of their way to make life just about impossible. Especially in places like London.

Well, they're not hurling fecal matter at us like monkeys, and I have English friends as well who are fantastic people, but there is a problem with anti-Americanism in England. It's not always overt; I mean, they're not burning our flag in the streets or anything.

Even Stephen Fry touched on it recently, lamenting their attitude towards us. Granted, some of it could be argued that it's deserved (and they'd be right), but it's there regardless. I'm not saying that the English are bad people, and to be honest I actually prefer their pub company to that of Americans, but I'm not so blind as to believe it doesn't exist.

I know you've lived there and actually have a better view than I do, as I've never lived there. These are my perceptions based on brief experiences, nothing more, nothing less. I would blow it off as chance encounters with bad luck if it weren't already so widely documented in the press, both in the UK and the US, and had it not happened to me repeatedly.

Just like anything, you're going to run into a few bad eggs. It's just when you start running into them more and more often through no fault of your own that you start to feel targeted.

It can also be in the eye of the beholder. Many people complain about how no one in Italy speaks English, while I don't know a single person my age or younger who doesn't at least know SOME English, and by some I mean enough to get around in an English-speaking city. Most of them, in fact, speak quite well.

Different experiences, different perceptions I suppose.

Steve, I'm sorry if I've offended you.

I am not offended. I just don't understand why you are so negative towards people. I am a filthy American yes, but IRL I am probably the nicest and generous guy you will ever meet. I would still pork your buns though, just sayin'. It won't hurt to be nice and positive for a bit ya know. I understand you got all this negativity deep down inside, but I hope my penis will find that and remove it.

*unzips pants*

I welcome your meat rocket any time, for the record.

I don't want to think of myself as a negative person but maybe I am, or maybe I'm incapable of being optimistic when I see no reason to be all around. I mean, I love lots of things and I'm a very loving and happy person for the most part. I just have these core values that I fanatically uphold and defend, no matter what. I am a very black and white person, I guess. My little brothers are twins and one of them, Nick, is exactly like me to a T. They came to visit this summer and it was weird to see myself in another person. He's 17 years old and very rigid when it comes to how things should be. His brother Nathan is much more laid back and chill, but Nick and I share this nearly impenetrable point of view where we see how things are and how they should be. We just cannot keep it to ourselves if something is wrong...it has to be corrected by all means. We hold ourselves to this nearly unreachable standard that we ourselves can never reach, yet we constantly strive to reach it anyway...I guess that's what keeps us motivated. We feel that if we can do it then anyone can do it and there's no excuse not to, because we don't view ourselves as anything special or above anyone else. It's unacceptable not that people don't agree with us, but that they could just let an injustice perpetuate out of apathy. You would think that living here would be hell for a person like me, but it's actually the opposite for some weird, paradoxical reason.

I despise bullies and unimaginative, closed-minded people. It's like my brain short circuits and can't handle the fact that people would treat others with such little respect when I go out of my way to give respect to anyone. I was never bullied when I was young, at least no more than anyone else paying their dues on the football team and in high school, so I don't know where it stems from. Ironically, I end up coming across as just the opposite: a highly opinionated, often brash character people assume is elitist. It's far from elitism because I don't feel like I'm anything special, and that's what infuriates me even more, that someone as flawed as I am can still treat others with dignity and respect, yet when that is not returned in kind I lose my fucking mind and go apeshit. This is why I rail and rant and carry on about what I view as stupid people, arrogant people, disrespectful people.

Some people are able to say, "It's not my problem, it's none of my business, I don't want to get involved or give my opinion." I'm unable to do that. I feel like an open nerve just walking around and I must act in some way to correct what I view as being wrong. It's a very robotic, cold, unfeeling sort of existence; not apathetic or unfeeling in the sense of not caring, but unfeeling in the sense that any collateral damage done to those around me while in pursuit of my goal is acceptable to me. I don't want to offend people, but if their feelings are in the way of what I view as being right and just, then their feelings might get hurt, albeit unintentionally. That's not to say I'm crass, rude, or hateful, just callous, sadly. I would make a very good leader but a very poor manager.

Maybe that IS why I enjoy living here; people aren't so much standoff-ish as they are mutually respectful. Or maybe they're all just afraid of me. I dunno.

I'll give you an example:

I was at a friend's show this weekend at a local pub and there was this drunk guy everyone knows, completely trashed. He started having words with one of his acquaintances and a fight almost broke out, but the other fellow was very patient and just told him repeatedly to just go home and knock it off, as did everyone else. He was grabbing the other guy by the shirt and calling him names, insulting him, all because he wouldn't give him a cigarette. The other fellow was a bit smaller than he was and a passive sort of person, although he looked like he could handle himself. I had to leave because I couldn't stand there and watch this guy bullying this other guy, even though the big bouncer-type fellow kept him at bay and stopped it before anything started. I left because I knew if he somehow stumbled over to me or my wife and insulted me or her, that would be the end of him. I could feel the rage boiling over inside me, not because I wanted to fight him because I hate fighting, but because he was simply harassing and insulting an innocent, normal guy who was just trying to have a good time. I can't let things like that go and I won't let it go. Common courtesy and decency should never be optional, and if you choose to cast those two things aside by treating me like an inferior, there's going to be trouble. Those types of things turn me jet black inside.

I apologize again if I've offended anyone here, but that's just how I am. I've been like that since I was a kid and I won't change, nor do I really want to. Too many people are too apathetic towards people in the wrong. The entire world is suffering in nearly every aspect because people choose selfishness over decency time and time again. All the problems in the world today, all the wars, all the crises, all the poverty can be attributed to human beings choosing selfishness over decency, and I'll fight it until I die in any way I can. I have never been able to sit on the sidelines, I've got to attack it head-on and the only way to do that is to confront people.

It's no wonder I prefer the company of my dog to the company of most humans.