A song for project using Sturgis Samples

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
Hey guys,

I did this song, using Dorsia Toms and Emerald cymbals. I made this clip, and I really like the mix so far. I wrote the song. I used a lot of Joey's tips he gave plus added a lot using my ears. I used Cali Diamond plate with tubescreamer in podfarm for guitars but I also used Line6 bottom for more lows. I used Podfarm for bass also. tell me what you guys think

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19450618/Epic Means Nothing.mp3

edit: For choir and Violin I used Mixcraft's Choir Vox thing.

I am vegetarian man. I really like the tone though, but more meat eh? I have no idea how to fix that =O any suggestions?

Mix sounds nice man...

I think what one day meant is the guitars are a little back in the mix the and they don't have that wow effect that for examples joeys have...

What'd your bus for the guitars look like?

Are the drums programmed DFH?

the drums are beatcraft, but I used multi samples for each cymbal like......4-5 for each at different velocities. I replaced the kick, toms and snare. The guitar chain is....
Waves Q1 low pass, TSL saturater, Waves Q1 hi pass....that is it

Are the drums programmed DFH?

No:
-Kick: Kick 10 (Steven Slate Drums)
-Snare (not sure about that): Snare 12a (Steven Slate Drums)
-Toms: Dorsia
-Cymbals: Emerald ( Asking Alexandria Kit-Joey Sturgis)

Am I right?

For DFH you're probably on the wrong forum. :p

Nice mix, though!

haha not kick 10, and not snare 12a, but yes toms are right and cymbals are right. snare is loose skin off some website, and kick is, well I dont remember

cymbals are washed out... everything sounds muddy.

the snare (quality) is almost inaudible and i think more importantly the whole mix has very little body.

recommendation:

- compress more of everything
- subtractive eq on the guitar and cymbals

i think everything is "even" it's just that there is no significant characteristic that makes much of an impact.

timislegend, thank you for the feedback. I know what you mean. Cymbals do sound a little thin to me and maybe I did scoop out too much. I do however disagree with the eq problem with the guitar, I strongly feel it sounds good, but that is my taste. I don't really like the snare sample I am using to be honest, so I will most likely be changing that. I did however, add some brightness earlier and got rid of the muddiness and I did bring up the cymbals a little more. I need to compress the kick though, it kinda seems a little weird. thanks guys

I used my BC Warlock Gold Series....amazing guitar I gotta say. I use C1 comp, and reverb?? that is funny, I was going to do that but completely forgot, I usually always do that on the beefy breakdowns. Thanks for the reminder

I liked the first mix better than the 2nd one, the 2nd mix the low end on the bass guitar is all over the place. The 1st mix was more controlled. Snare definitely needs to come up in both of them though

hmm, so I need to find a balance between the brightness and keeping the bass fit....I think I may have a solution....

No:
-Kick: Kick 10 (Steven Slate Drums)
-Snare (not sure about that): Snare 12a (Steven Slate Drums)
-Toms: Dorsia
-Cymbals: Emerald ( Asking Alexandria Kit-Joey Sturgis)

Am I right?

For DFH you're probably on the wrong forum. :p

Nice mix, though!

are you insinuating that you cannot get good grooves and/or create a CD/Label Worthy recording with DFH?

I am sure you can, but its just a modern thing, DFH is kinda limited date wise, but I am sure with the right tools you can make them sound great. I personally like them for certain styles, its all about taste and opinion. I prefer live drums, just don't have the "good" drum mics yet. I would love to hear Joey try it, I know he doesn't really like the sound, but it would nice to just hear his take at it. I think he could do more than he thinks with it.

are you insinuating that you cannot get good grooves and/or create a CD/Label Worthy recording with DFH?

Yes and No... Actually I said this because this is a Joey Sturgis forum and he is
popular for using the Steven Slate's stuff. Though, I think that EzDrummer isn't a good choice for professional recording,
because it's only the easy (=Ez) version of Superior Drummer 2.0, which is way better than DFH.
And I don't really like the sound of DFH, because I think it sounds very fake.

I am sure you can, but its just a modern thing, DFH is kinda limited date wise, but I am sure with the right tools you can make them sound great. I personally like them for certain styles, its all about taste and opinion. I prefer live drums, just don't have the "good" drum mics yet. I would love to hear Joey try it, I know he doesn't really like the sound, but it would nice to just hear his take at it. I think he could do more than he thinks with it.

He actually has used them... there's a thread in the sneap forum where a band came in to do a song and for whatever reason they did not... so they did a killswitch cover and for the drums for the cover he used DF...

But I concur I do think its limited if you don't know what your doing...

You should listen to that killswitch cover or do a search and listen to tracks in which bands or artists have used exclusively DFH...

OR HERE'S AN IDEA... look up musicman1066 on you tube his tracks are all dfh and I think they sound really good... considering he's not and engineer/producer

yeah I have heard it before when I was considering DFH. I agree with ya, there are people who can take someone hitting a box with a stick and make it sound decent. There is a lot you can do these days with all these effects and plug ins. Cheers to technology! :kickass: