About the track selection in BYDays.

Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
This has probably been asked a billion times here (I never post here) but why did they split up DoDS and BMD? All the albums I own are DO, TD, LFDGD, and Viva Emptiness. I have to buy Brave Murder Day, DODS, and the Teargas/Tonight's Music Singles to have all of their songs.

Now why not include all of DoDS and leave off all of BMD so that getting DoDS wouldn't be necessary? Or vica versa? It makes it harder for new fans, and I'm sure you older fans are used to hearing one song after the other. After all, nobody wants to hear Vera without Bring the Boys Back Home.

And I just read about that reissue of LFDGD, and its fucking with me further cause now I have to buy one cd for one song.

And why is there a cd with both FFTC and BMD if all of FFTC is on Brave Yester Days? and.. and.. I hate marketing.:zzz:

Um... what the fuck are you talking about?
Brave Yester Days is a compilation of material spanning their early days, meaning that something from EACH of their old albums HAS to be included for it to be worth a shit. I mean, what the hell sense does it make to include ALL of one fucking album (keep in mind, that's an hour or so of music JUST FROM A SINGLE ALBUM, and they don't have infinite space/time), at the complete expense of another? Answer: it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. BYD was never meant to be KATATONIA'S EARLY CAREER: EVERY SINGLE ALBUM AND EP FROM THOSE GOOD OL' BRAVE YESTER DAYS IN THEIR ENTIRETY, SO THAT YOU WON'T HAVE TO ACTIVELY TRY TO FIND THEM YOURSELF. No, it's just a compilation of songs from JEM through SYD, with the EPs logically being fully included, being that they took up the majority of their early releases, and because they're short. You can't include full-length fucking albums in a compilation like this, not even one -- especially if it means totally ditching anything from another.

And as for the other stuff you said...
Listen, is anyone holding a gun to your head at this moment and promising you certain death if you don't get every song that Katatonia has ever released? No? So, you just want the songs because you like the band, and want to hear all of their material, right? Then quit complaining. If you want the albums, then just suck it the hell up and get them.

It IS a collection of their early EP's in their entirety PRECISELY BECAUSE they are hard to find. They tacked on random songs from early albums too for some reason, to offer a bit of perspective on what was in between the EP's I guess and to introduce new fans to the early stuff. The MAIN purpose of the collection was to enable fans who have all the readily-available stuff to get all the EP's in one convenient package.

Now the original poster is just about as clueless as you are. THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE DODS BECAUSE 1) it's not an EP and 2) it's not rare. At all. Actually, it's without doubt the easiest pre-Tonight's Decision CD to find, and most of the time it's a midprice CD as well. If it isn't, you need to move to Europe.

<<And why is there a cd with both FFTC and BMD if all of FFTC is on Brave Yester Days? and.. and.. I hate marketing>>

That edition of BMD was released long before the compilation...it may seem redundant, but it does make more sense in the chronological ordering on BYD than as an addition to an album recorded at a different phase in their career...

Hhhhmmmmm, let me think.......Do I want to buy BMD and DODS, or SYD ep? I am not sure if you are aware of the availability of These alblums. Like Mantraschism said, I have sucked it the hell up and bought them all. I just payed 115$ for the Saw You Drown ep. You could buy most of the other cd's for about that much. So if you like em so much go ahead and throw out your "stupid" copy of Brave Yester Days and buy everything from scratch. I believe that the reasoning behind BYD has slipped by you.

@Erik: Random songs from DoDS and BMD and tacked on there 'for some reason' BECAUSE they are songs from the early days, and BYD is a compilation of material from the early days. Of course they would include the EPs in their entirety; why wouldn't you? But BYD is not just supposed to be all the hard to find EPs in one convenient location -- that's not its sole purpose. If it were, then why bother with anything from DoDS and BMD? It would have been much easier for them to leave those songs off than to include them, if it were just meant to be a collection of EPs. Lord knows they could have had two CDs of nothing but EPs, and left off DoDS and BMD and included Teargas and Tonight's Music instead. But, as has already been said, that wasn't the point.

No, they couldn't have included Teargas and Tonight's Music, because they were released on Peaceville, and this was an Avantgarde Music collection. Did you ever wonder why they included "Saw You Drown" despite the fact that this is commonly considered a "new" Katatonia release, with clean vocals and all? Right, because it was on Avantgarde Music. My guess is that the BMD and DoDS stuff is filler because all the EP's would have taken up maybe 1.5 CD's, so why not fill the half CD (or so) that's left with filler songs from the albums? Couldn't hurt I guess. BYD is primarily an "out of print EP" collection.

Ok, didn't know that about Teargas and Tonight's Music. Or, rather, I knew they were on a different label from the older stuff, but it just didn't occur to me.

As for stuff from DoDS and BMD just being filler... eh, I'm still not convinced. I can see that BYD is, of course, primarily out-of-print or just hard-to-find EPs, but then again, most of the stuff they released back then was EPs, so the fact that they take up most of BYD is inevitable.

if you remember the rumors preceeding the release of BYD you would know that the image that was made was that it would be one nice easy package for all of the out-of-print katatonia material. some expressed hopes that it would enclude the new eps as well, just to make everything a little bit simpler. considering those rumors, the BMD and DODS songs do seem like filler material used to "justify" two cd's.

also, as erik mentioned, if it were a sort-of introduction to early katatonia, there would be no reason to include "saw you drawn".

@sorrowblue

DODS:dance of december souls
BMD:brave murder day
BYD:brave yester days
SWD:saw you drown
FFTC:for funerals to come
JEM:Jhva Elohim Meth..the revival
DO:discouraged ones
TD:tonight's decision
LFDGD:last fair deal gone down
VE:viva emptiness
SOD:sounds of decay
TM:tonight's music