About Warrel's voice

Ambivalent

Jun 25, 2007
Just recently I've become more aware of how much I'd like to sing, and obviously I looked to Nevermore since Warrel has the most incredible voice I've ever heard. So, naturally, I wanted to see if I could hit the same notes Warrel could...

...as you probably expected, I failed at my task. :erk: Battle Angels probably wasn't a good song to start out with... But all these failed attempts let me discover something about myself...I can't sing high worth a shit. My voice is moderately deep, my speaking voice is about as deep as Phil Anselmo's, which is also about as deep as Warrel's, but my vocal range is nowhere near theirs.

Fuck my genetic build up, fuck it right in the neck. Are there any kind of vocal exercises that I can do to build up my range? My ultimate goal is to hit the high note on Poison Godmachine (at like 2:25), the one right before the solo, though it might seem a little farfetched, I'm so determined to hit that note that I will willing drink a gallon of estrogen (not really...I don't know...maybe a little...not all at once, atleast...)

So, yeah, any tips? I'm also looking into vocal lessons, any tips on what teachers to stay away from? I saw one place, and they were doing some stupid fucking R&B singing shit. That's fucking faggish. I don't want that. Any questions to ask the teacher to make sure they are what I want?

Also, this is a good thread for you silly, clever folk to post something like "sucking alot of dick will help your voice get higher," but I just want to let you know that I beat you to it, but you're probably going to say it anyway. :lol:

Also, cocks.

EDIT:

Typos are fucking gay...especially when they are in the thread title...:erk:

How deep your voice is doesn't mean a thing. I have a deep voice and can hit the high notes from battle angels, or I use to anyways, when I was younger. I can still hit some high notes though. Just try and look for someone who understands your goals. There is nothing wrong with a different style of music as long as they can help get the strength that you need for a high solid range. If you can swing the finances maybe look into some opera style training.

How deep your voice is doesn't mean a thing. I have a deep voice and can hit the high notes from battle angels, or I use to anyways, when I was younger. I can still hit some high notes though. Just try and look for someone who understands your goals. There is nothing wrong with a different style of music as long as they can help get the strength that you need for a high solid range. If you can swing the finances maybe look into some opera style training.

Opera lessons was what I originally wanted, but I can't find a lot in my area. I'm still looking.

And I would be fine with learning to sing from someone with a different musical background...but I went to some of these music assesments for these black girls who had the "yo i listen to da radio n i can sing liek be-yon-saaaay." I had to sit through them singing before I got to do my guitar assesment (which I got a perfect score on :loco: The teachers loved my cover of For the Love of God by Steve Vai) and it was horrible. They weren't even singing...they were just mimicking what they heard on the radio (like when they move their hand to the note they are hitting, or whatever) and they were doing these shitting attempts at vibrato and they wouldn't stay in key. I wouldn't critisize them so harshly if they didn't walk around my school saying "You can't sing...I can sing, yo!" and when I tell them to sing something they just regurgitate their pathetic attempts at R&B songs, afterwards, boasting about how they "don't need singing lessons." It just turned me off to everything associated with it, and sadly, that's predominately whats taught at the vocal schools around here.

I too am interested in learning to sing. I definitely don't want to take lessons though.

I too am interested in learning to sing. I definitely don't want to take lessons though.

I was turned off at the idea at first also, but then I realized that if I ever wanted to be a half-decent singer, then it would be in my best interests to get help from a professional as soon as I can. Otherwise, you're just pretending to sing, like most people on the radio today...or you can hide it and just growl and scream. I'm not saying that if you growl and scream then you can't sing, I'm just saying that you don't need professional assistance to accomplish it.

...as you probably expected, I failed at my task. :erk: Battle Angels probably wasn't a good song to start out with... But all these failed attempts let me discover something about myself...I can't sing high worth a shit. My voice is moderately deep, my speaking voice is about as deep as Phil Anselmo's, which is also about as deep as Warrel's, but my vocal range is nowhere near theirs.
You can't possibly expect to be able to sing only half as well as Warrel can without any training. Singing isn't a matter of just picking up a mic and shouting into it. It takes years to develop a good singing voice.

What I can recommend, is taking a look at Mark Baxter's site, especially the free lessons, to get the basics down. I have his book and it's taught me a whole lot (too bad it was too late to save my damaged voice). Anyway, this guy used to teach guys like Steven Tyler, so he knows what he's talking about.

I'm really sure vocal lessons will make you a better singer, definitely.
It'll help you gaining knowledge about techniques, breathing and stuff like that.
With learning the right techniques I think you can also hit higher notes.

And I wouldn't worry about finding a teacher, 'cause a teacher should adapt to the wishes of the student.
If they want you to sing R 'n' B though they will probably have their reasons and you should think about becoming a better singer and put your taste aside

Damn! I'm worried now. What are the warning signs? I'm gonna practice with that site all I can once family goes home. I didn't even know you could mess up your voice with normal clean singing.

Usually you won't damage your voice by singing at a decent volume, at least not easily. Basically the harder you push the air out and the more tense your throat is (this is very important!), the more quickly you damage your vocal folds. Warning signs are a throat that feels tight and a little sore (especially the muscles around your larynx), a layer of protective mucus around your vocal folds the next day, and vocal folds that feel inflamed and bloated.

But as long as you practice on your own, you should be fine. Once you join a band, that's when you need to look out, because you'll be forcing your voice very often if you're not properly trained.

Yeah, I agree with everyone. Go find a voice teacher, it was one of the best things I ever did. Be open to a teacher who comes from another background. My long time voice teacher came from a musical theater background and she had no idea about any of the bands I had listened to. She just sat and listened to them, understood what I wanted and helped me get there. I also studied with a few of her partners, one an opera singer and ( very briefly ) on guy she had for about 6 months who was a total prog-guy

Unless the teacher is a complete fool, voice lessons can only help you. Get the basics down, your breathing, keeping an open throat etc. Even if it is another style, the techniques are the same and your going to adapt them anyway to what you want to do.

Diaphragm control is everything. Pitch recognition is also a plus.

Also... hate to say it, but you can do a lot of damage to your throat without ever opening your mouth if you go overboard with smoking and certain foods. I had a serious case of acid reflux that essentially left my entire throat, up to the back of my tongue, covered in stomach acid and this really fucked my voice up. Couldn't control pitches, couldn't growl (which I had been doing for a very long time before that), and my voice was very raspy - I was literally digesting my vocal cords because of stress. Things are mostly healed, now, but that was not a fun thing to go through and several months of that can really set any attempt at singing back.

Jeff

Do you guys think practicing along with a singer you share a a similar range with will help any or is it just a waste of time? Can't get lessons anytime soon but I'm hoping to record some clean vocals over the next few months I need to do everything I can to prepare. :erk:

Do you guys think practicing along with a singer you share a a similar range with will help any or is it just a waste of time? Can't get lessons anytime soon but I'm hoping to record some clean vocals over the next few months I need to do everything I can to prepare. :erk:
Personally, I think you're better off practicing on your own, because when you start out, your focus should not be on hitting the right notes, but on singing safely and developing your instrument. Don't be afraid of a bad sound, just because a sound is bad, doesn't mean it hurts your vocal folds.

I use to do all of my warming up with different ranged singers. Usually on the way to practice or a show. It helped get the vocal cords ready. It also helped me develop and strengthen my voice.

You can't possibly expect to be able to sing only half as well as Warrel can without any training.

That's not nessessarly true. Mike Patton only had 1 singing lesson soon after he joined Faith No More. He said 1/2 hour into it, his instructor(a dude) hit on him and that was it.

Genetics is a huge part of being a good singer, in my opinion. If they're shit, no amount of training will make you any good. It'll make you better, but it'll be like polishing a turd.